Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500...now a parts gun...

Boolit Buddy

Mossberg 500...now a parts gun...

First, let me start by saying that I am posting this story as a warning to new reloaders to be careful. For anyone out there that wants to chime in just to call me an idiot, save it...that fact has been well established many times and I don't need your input on the matter.

Here's the story: I like testing and comparing different loads, and having just bought some new components, I preceeded to put together several varieties of different published loads for the 7/8 os Lee Drive key slug, with the hope of posting my results here. I repeat: these were published loads, with the exception of a few loads built substituting light 7/8oz shot data.

The problem is, that I sat down and loaded 6 rounds each of all these varieties in one sitting, and evidently I got careless. Now I'm not normally a careless person ( I was a drill sgt in the Army and believe strongly in pre-combat checks), but this incident shows what can happen when you just don't pay attention. The last load I made that night was using a Fiocchi hull with a low based wad. Being test loads, I was measuring each and every powder charge on my RCBS 5-0-5 scale instead of using Lee powder measures, like I usualy do. Somehow I bumped the weighted indicator on the scale, and overcharged these hulls.....4 out of 6 of them. I guess I was too tired to notice that instead of the prescribed 41.5 grains of HS-6 I was loading 80 grains !

Being the last loads in the box, these Fiocchi's where the first I tried this morning. The very first round I fired resulted in the newly configured shotgun you see below. Don't fret....I was not injured (except for a minor scratch on my firing hand), and having been in numerous high intensity situations, the "kaboom" didn't even get my heart rate going. I just stared in awe as my favorite shotgun lay in pieces around the range shack (thankfully there was no one else there). Sad to see the little beast end like that.

Now my warning: even when you think you are being careful, be more careful. The stories of "catastrphic failures", while often overblown on the internet by weenies that are afraid of their own shadows, do actually occur. This moron offers proof. Be safe.

I will be reloading that same recipre--correctly--when I get my new Mossberg.... hopefully before deer season. Better results will be posted then.
    Last edited by diehard; 08-28-2009 at 11:17 AM.

you are a lucky fella, could have been a lot worse, you can always replace your gun, Todd

Boolit Grand Master

Diehard; I don't know what to say other than glad you are OK. What does confuse me is how when inserting the wad over a double charge of powder you could not tell, I would think half of the shot cup would be pushed back out of the hull. I would also think that it would be tough to get a crimp to close over the slug trying to poke its head out? If you were using the recommended hull/wad/powder combo I don't see a double charge getting loaded without mechanical ploblems in the load process, educate me?
    Charter Member #148

Accidents happen. Glad you didn't get hurt.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderator Emeritus

Wow, glad you are OK. What to you want for the Buttstock? Not much left for parts is there.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Glad your OK!

I was thinking the same thing as swheeler, wasn't there anything different when seating the wad or crimping the shell closed?

Boolit Bub
    Curious too, what's all the tape for? (Glad you're ok, hate to see anyone hurt, ever)

Wow! You are a very fortunate man.

Boolit Buddy
    what's all the tape for?
    The tape is leftover from a rather crude camo job used over multiple turkey seasons. It is a mixture of camo wrap and camo duct tape.

I would think half of the shot cup would be pushed back out of the hull. I would also think that it would be tough to get a crimp.
    This mystifies me too, although I can't remember having any problems. I was using DR-XXL wads instead of Fed 12S0---which according to the Downrange website, and several other published sources, is an appropriate substitution. I have found that the DR wads will collapse nearly completely under pressure. Since I use a Lee Load-ALL II, and since the DR wads were new to me, I don't remember having noticed anything different about the crimping process. With the Load-ALL, many loads require a long pause on the downstroke for the crimp memory to take. This is the only explanation I can give you. I just didn't notice anything different. I will undoubtedly notice next time.

That fabric tape is what kept the reciever from blowing apart!!!! The duct tape you'll notice kept the rear held tight.

My entire 500 is covered in that exact camo fabric tape. Walmart bow tape if I remember correctly.

Man, looking over those pictures again, you sure were lucky to not catch even 1 chuck of flying metal.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

"Man, looking over those pictures again, you sure were lucky to not catch even 1 chuck of flying metal. " Or pop the cap on the ones in the magazine tube, then we'd be calling him "stubbie hard"
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    I was lucky, no doubt. Story of my life I guess.

Thinking about SWheeler's previous question, I just went out in my garage and loaded two fiocchi hulls: one with the correct 41.5grains, and one with 80 grains of HS-6 using the same DR-XXL wad. Both loaded with the same effort on the down stroke of my Load-ALL II press, and both came up with perfect crimps. When I cut them apart I found the DR-XXL wad completely compressed on the 80 grain load. So therein lies your explanation.

If I were a very experienced loader with years of shotshell loading under my belt I probably would have noticed the difference. Since I have loaded several thousand slugs, but only over the past 6 months, I admit to having a lot to learn.

The point I want to make to guys like me who are new at this hobby is to be extra diligent in checking your powder scale, verify your bushings, and take nothing for granted. I was careless for sure. I am lucky to be able to learn from my mistakes. This won't stop me from reloading shotshells. It will just be a reminder to me that I must be sure to be careful during each and every step of the process.

Boolit Master

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Glad you are OK! I am new to shotshell loading as well. I still don't get how a double charge of powder would still allow you to seat and crimp the shell without looking out of the ordinary! BTW there really aren't many parts to relegate the Mossberg to parts gun status. Sights and bolt can be reused.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

You are indeed a lucky man. Better bow to the north, east, south and west and thank all the Great Spirits also. Glad you're OK. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    I still don't get how a double charge of powder would still allow you to seat and crimp the shell without looking out of the ordinary!
    I agree....I would think I would have noticed it, having loaded so many slugs lately. However, I had never used DownRange wads before, and they are much softer that I would expect. Below is the wad I used:

This is how far you can compress them with just the pressure of your fingers. Imagine how far they will compress in a reloading press.

I can't think of any other explanation than this. Mind you this is an explanation, not an excuse. I should have noticed, but I didn't.

Boolit Master
    Measure twice {thrice}, cut once. Thanks for the range report. Very sobering.

Boolit Master

Good to see that you're OK.
    Jack

I've been using Fed. 12S0 wads for 1 oz. shot loads and recently got some Downrange XXL wads to try and make up some 7/8 oz. loads. I have heard other shooters say that the XXL has a slightly smaller cup and longer cusion section than the 12S0. Comparing the two it appears to be the case, but I haven't loaded any of the XXL's yet. After reading your last post I looked at them again. The XXL does indeed have a much softer cusion than the 12S0. If you had double charged under the 12S0 I think you would definitely had trouble when seating the wad and crimping.
    One more reason to stay with Federal wads for Lee slugs, I guess.

In Remembrance

We used to "custom" load 7.62x39 Ak-47 cartridges with C-4 and leave them for "charlie" to find them and load his Ak clips with them over in `nam. We were hoping for the same result as what happened to your mossberg by accident. Glad you`re still with us.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Diehard....
    Thanks for the pictures and the kind warning... Stuff Happens.
    Charlie Mike
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast