WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38-40 Load Advice

Boolit Master
    I've got a '73 SRC in 38-40. Just need to finish the furniture on it. Original parts, but a refinished parts gun. Don't have the room in the shop or the time to work on it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I'm using 6g of TrailBoss under a 180g round nose flat point in my 1889 '73. Works well for mine, pretty light load for this old girl.

Well guess this needs to be brought up again. GREAT THREAD!!! I have a parts 73 carbine going now myself. Couple parts yet to aquire then get it shooting before doing a finish on it. May just leave it rustic with all the patina on the OEM parts.

I have another RIFLE in 38 as well and just looking round for loads and boolits.

This thread is very cool and informative. Let the 38 WCF info continue flowing. Thanks all

Boolit Master
    Well, this thread, like the 38-40 cartridge, just won't die. A couple months ago, I acquired an original Marlin model 1889 chambered in 38-40, shipped December 12, 1889. At 25 yards, it put the bullets into a 2-foot circle, some going through the paper at odd angles. I took it home, slugged it, and found it had an astonishing .410" groove diameter (max factory spec was .402"). I really like this vintage Marlin with about 85% of the blue still on it, so I ordered a brass mould from Accurate Moulds that dropped pure lead bullets at .408". I used pure lead because that is what the original 38-40 bullets used back in 1889 and the 1890's, and I figured it would bump up easier to seal the bore. I sized them to .406" and loaded them over 17.7 grains of IMR SR4759. I loaded up five rounds and took the rifle to the range today. I wasn't 100% sure I'd be on paper at 100 yards, so I shot a five-shot group at 50 yards and put them into a 1 & 15/16" circle, with four of the bullets going into just over 1". Velocity is approximately 1,320 fps. I cleaned the bore tonight, and there is no leading whatsoever, so those pure lead bullets are bumping up from .406" to fill a .410" groove diameter and giving me good accuracy. I'm loading up a batch more for another 100 yard session, in prep for bagging a Whitetail deer with this little jewel this fall.
    Last edited by KirkD; 11-05-2018 at 10:23 PM.

KirkD I'm really happy for you man, I always love a good success story!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Great work Kirk, glad it became a good shooter!

So Kirk ... did you stick with the 17.7 grains of SR 4759 with your new .406 loads? If so then the pure lead bumped up with this smokeless load?

Bump back to the top again to maybe develope interest in it again.

My lee boolits work great with BP but id like to do some smokeless loads so i am looking toward Tom at accurate for a new mold with the crimp groove such so i can get a good crimp at the correct length to function through the action.

Gotta get some RL-7 to load for capacity loads at the correct velocity and pressure. My "kit gun" so to speak is still lacking the bolt and a couple wee parts. But i am looking forward to shooting it when done AND shooting my vintage original "73" with some clean smokeless loads.

Boolit Buddy
    24gr/RE#7/220grGC is what I run in my win 92 /44-40 clover leaves at 50 yards.......no reason it wouldn't also work fine in it's baby brother 38-40 different bullet and powder charge obviously.Took the head off a grouse this afternoon with it at 20 yards after a morning deer hunt.Win large pistol primers.

Haven't had a chance to load any ammo for it and get out to shoot it yet, but I just bought a very nice little 1885 Winchester Low Wall in .38 WCF with a 1/2 octagon / 1/2 round 28" #1 contour barrel mfg in 1901 according to the serial number. I have some WW .38-40 brass and a set of RCBS dies plus some .40 S&W 180 grain cast boolits that I can try in it for starters, but again I haven't had a change to slug the barrel yet to see what size I am dealing with.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice find! That should be a dandy

Boolit Buddy
    I had a good load, using Laser Cast Bullets. But I thought that a gas-checked bullet might be more accurate, and it is. The rifle is an 1873 .38 WCF made in 1885. Its bore is ugly. But now, it consistently cuts 1/2 inch sticks at 50 yards. Such a fine feeling, shooting Great-grandpa's rifle and having it be so accurate.

Bullet-- .402 (soft) 175 grain FNGC from "The Bull Shop."
    Powder-- 6.2 grains Titegroup.
    Primer-- CCI 300 / Large Pistol.
    Brass-- Starline and other manufacturers.
    Case Length-- 1.295
    COL--1.585

Dan at The Bull Shop makes excellent bullets. I use his bullets in many Winchester calibers. Order to delivery time is short.

https://bullshop.weebly.com/--40-cal...t-bullets.html
    40 Caliber ~ Mountain Mould ~ .403 ~ 175 grains ~ FNGC - with Crimp Groove

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123