Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .32 Winchester Special

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the bump Keg. This thread was a great help. I have had the luck of receiving a 32spl from 1925 land in my lap a bit ago. My smith went over it and even though it looks like it got dragged around through the woods quite a bit, he said it had very little shots through it. He used the words "pristine mechanically and worthy". Was shocked. Other than a bent silver front sight that was replaced, it shoots the lever evolution bullet okay but not perfect. Need to learn it and start to play. Happy to know this old girl has such a respect with handloaders and casters. Should be a fun project. Sadly was out of casting due to life issues but no more. This site is awesome.
    This Doesn't Suck!

Banned

I haven't had it out for a while, but my .32 Special shoots cast quite well. Attachment 232038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin Deer.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	232039

Boolit Master
    I used to use the lyman 8 m/m 165 gr. rn mold for .32 spl. and .32-40. I got a rcbs 170 fn gas check mold off ebay. I cast some up they are going to be my .32 bullets from now on.

Boolit Master
    So Tex, how did your .32sp end up shooting at 100yds. with those RD bullets?
    I have a .32sp myself but no decent mold for it is why I ask..
    Thx.

Boolit Master
    I always thought a pre-'64 M94 in .32 WS would be just about the perfect cast bullet levergun.

The Lee C324175 might be good in the .32 Win Special if you file a flat on the nose for tube mag use. An inexpensive experiment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 12-28-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I always thought a pre-'64 M94 in .32 WS would be just about the perfect cast bullet levergun.
    It is.

That's all I have to say about that.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

I have a nice flatband that's a joy to shoot and load for. Use the rcbs 170 over 3031 for hunting. Use a 165 from an old ideal mold over universal for plinking. I use 30/30 brass for the plinking loads.

This fall I had a boar to butcher. Shot him with the 170 over 30 grains of 3031. Bullet went through the skull and neck, probably 20+" of born and muscle. Complete pass through. Made a roast right up to the hole. Fun gun to shoot and effective

I am using the original .32 W.S. Winchester single cavity mold for my 1965 .32 Special. My original loads were using 29.7 gr RL-7, but things got a little out of whack. Not sure what, but I am going back and going to try some different powders and what-not. Bore has been scrubbed, so no copper or lead. May even try some PC boolits along with it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1830716...65-bullet-mold

Quote Originally Posted by Pb&j View Post
    Thanks for the bump Keg. This thread was a great help. I have had the luck of receiving a 32spl from 1925 land in my lap a bit ago. My smith went over it and even though it looks like it got dragged around through the woods quite a bit, he said it had very little shots through it. He used the words "pristine mechanically and worthy". Was shocked. Other than a bent silver front sight that was replaced, it shoots the lever evolution bullet okay but not perfect. Need to learn it and start to play. Happy to know this old girl has such a respect with handloaders and casters. Should be a fun project. Sadly was out of casting due to life issues but no more. This site is awesome.
    No problems sir!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got four .32 WS carbines in my gun safe. Two Marlins (1951 SC, & 1957 SC) and two 94's (1948 & 1963) and all four love shooting cast bullets from 1600 fps up to 2300 fps. The three molds I have are the RCBS 08-170 (182 grains with my WW tin alloysized lubed, & checked ), a Ranch Dog 323-170 (which also weigh 182 grains sized, lubed & checked) and an old Lyman 321-29man7 which weigh 180 grains lubed, sized, and checked. I have had great success with the RCBS and Ranch Dog molds but no matter what I've tried with the Lyman mold, nothing and I do mean nothing has worked with that boolit. No matter if it was high tide, low tide, Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, nor any sizing diameter or lube, nothing has worked. Using the other two however has been pure fun and satisfaction. I used Alliant 2400 powder to achieve 1600 fps and 1" groups at 50 yards. My top load using Leverevolution Powder achieves 2300 fps and all shots touch at 50 yards. No leading occurs with either speed and the muzzle always shows the "star" lube mark. The only other caliber in my weaponry giving me as much joy are my Marlin 1894C from 1979 and my Marlin 1894 Cowboy (24" barrel) from 1999. If God made two better cast boolit shooters than the .32 WS and the .357 Magnum, he kept them for Himself and He is not sharing with us!!
    358 Win

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234