WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .32 Winchester Special

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    This thread has supprised me, i didn't think there was still as much interest in the old .32 ws as there is on this forum at least.
    Around here, there is a lot of interest. One of the greatest cast boolit cartridges going!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

The 32 Spec is a great cartridge and, I think it would still be very popular if it would have had a 190 - 200 gr loading at 2100 - 2000 fps. Now a days, that would be called light but, I really don't think that Elk and even Moose would say that

Frank

Boolit Bub
    I found one a few years ago made in 1951, in almost new condition, for $225. I bought it, but I've never used it. I'm picking one caliber at a time to start casting for, and I haven't gotten to the 32 yet. Good luck with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy
    This thread has supprised me, i didn't think there was still as much interest in the old .32 ws as there is on this forum at least.

Not really surprised, have read a fair bit about it around here. I remember when a friend bought one when they "reintroduced" it in a special edition 94 several years ago, have read about it a time or two since then. Seemed too interesting not to give it a try.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 12-06-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

The small buck in my avatar picture was taken with a M94 32WS using the Lyman 321297 pushed with 8.5 grains of Reddot.

I have a Winchester Model 94 purchased for my Grandmother in 1926 that I'm loading for with 170gr. cast. I don't think it particularly loves the bullet as it's shooting about 6" groups with it, but need to do some more experimentation. It's a slick little gun though for carrying while hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like I'm headed home to do some casting tomorrow. Five day hunt shortened to two. Was hoping the deer will honor Pearl Harbor day tomorrow by attacking our guns with red & white targets on their sides but they seem to be very uncooperative.
    Today was day two of a management hunt, 40+ hunters in the field and one deer in the cooler.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the thread I have a Marlin 336 in .32 special, Ithought I would have to fire form cartridges and since I've zero experience in anything but basic reloading I kinda put it on the "someday shelf" think I'll have to give it a try.

Boolit Grand Master

A Marlin? Cool! I'll probably size a few 30-30 as well as 32 Spcl cases later today, guess I could do that while the furnace is heating up. Will be interesting to see the differences, if any. I guess all of my loading has been pretty basic too.
    Go for it, BR. I had to wait until I ran across a rifle I liked, I think you're running out of excuses.

Boolit Grand Master

Cast a big handful of RD's 323-170's. Dropped @ about 177gr. Decided to try heat treating them as well as some 460-350's to see if that helps. I'm thinking I'll try to get 2100 fps out of the .32 and I'm trying to get my 45-70 to pick up the pace a bit also.
    Guess I better get serious about powder choices, may be loading in a day or two. Could even shoot the old girl this Sunday!

Boolit Grand Master

Range Report

Weellll.....2 out of three ain't bad, and one of the good ones ( see 45-70 load thread) was pretty awesome. New-to-me .32 WS 94 was pretty miserable today, with sights bottomed out it was hitting +/- 6" high, 4" left...at 50 yds. And the boolits were wobbling.
    Happened to have a receiver sight on a 94 that don't get out much but not sure what to do to keep the boolits from wagging their tails. Think I'll increase the powder charge a bit. Last three fired are pretty well centered but I was aiming for the lower right corner.
    Load:
    RD 323-170GC-heat treated
    27.0 RL7
    2.435 COAL
    modified RP 30-30 cases
    210M primers
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 04-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Is your rifle a 20" barrel? If so, the velocity will be much lower than the 24" that I had and your velocity lower by at least 80 fps and your bullet longer, possibly causing the tipping.

The bullet that I used with that load (323470) is only 7/8 long. I'm guessing that yours is around 1" to 1.06 lg and that is the reason that it's tipping like that.

31.0 gr of Rx7 is safe with a 170 jacketed. I would suggest that you raise the powder charge to 29.0 and try it again.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

31.0 gr of Rx7 is safe with a 170 jacketed. I would suggest that you raise the powder charge to 29.0 and try it again.-Frank

Actually it's a bit over .9" but that's a good point. RD boolits have a big meplat but this one is a bit long for the caliber.
    That's what I'm thinking as well, was thinking 28 tho. Probably too small a step up, 29 makes sense. Kicking around 34 grs 748 and 27 grs 4198. Will kick it around more in a little while over coffee.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 12-11-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

TXGunNut

Have you slugged the throat and Bore? With the longer bullet and 16" twist in the barrel you'll need to be at top end velocity to stabilize that bullet. You might consider LeveRevolution powder. You can keep the psi down while getting top end+ velocities.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I do need to slug the bore, Larry. Meant to do that earlier in the project but some time opened up and I wanted to shoot it. Think I'll clean it at the end of today's session and do that tonight. Should be able to break down a OOB shotgun shell and find some suitable slugs, a good whack on an anvil should bring it up to the correct size. Never slugged a throat but might as well, will have eight more balls good for little else.
    Haven't heard much about LR powder but will pick up some RL7 @ Cabelas tonight, maybe they'll have some LR too. Loaded 28 and 28.5 for today, considering 27 grs of 4198 as well. 748 looks good too. My j-bullet 30-30 load is 748.

Boolit Grand Master

Be interesting to see what the bore slugs out at along with the throat. LeveRevolution powder will aloow you to get 150 - 200 fps more with the same bullet at the same psi's as with the other powders mentioned. Works great in the 30-30 with 311041s and shoul;d do as well in the 32 SPL. Hornady has a factory LeveRevolution load with 165 jacketed bullets so the LeveRevolution powder is compatable with the 170 cast. However, if your not wanting top end performance for hunting then the powders you have will/should do nicely.

Larry Gibson

Might try doing a coat of Lee Liquid Alox on em. Cut my group size in half this last set.

Cast bullet shooters quickly fall in love with the 32 Win. Special. That 1-16 barrel allows cast bullets to be fired at full factory velocity with top notch accuracy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

If your bullet is only .900 lg, the tipping is not because of low velocity, you have something else wrong. Have you shot the rifle with jacketed bullets? If so, how did it shoot?

It could be gas cutting or the crown on the muzzle could have some damage. If you can get a accurate throat measurement, size .001 over that, if not, size .002 over groove diameter.

In my 16 twist 32/40's, I can shoot a 1.03 long, 190 gr bullet at 1350 fps w/o any tipping at all..

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

32 did better today, 28 and 28.5 grs of RL7 eliminated the wobbles but still pretty terrible group size, mostly vertical. Think I'll try 748 and 4198 next, they're a bit faster. My Trapper in .30-30 likes 748 and I have plenty of it and 4198 on hand. Receiver sight worked like a charm for my aging eyes, kinda wish it was tapped for a tang sight, tho.
    Using LLA and Rooster Jacket for lubes, seem to be working well but haven't cleaned it yet. Bore is good, appeared to be unfired but is almost new. Crown looks good.
    Haven't decided what I want from this rifle, Larry. I have more than a few good hunting rifles so I didn't buy it with that in mind. OTOH a hard cast RD boolit of 177 grs. @ 2100 fps should do nicely for anything I care to hunt here in TX. RD's boolits like to go fast. I knew that before I started this project, might as well turn it up a notch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast