Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .32 Winchester Special

Boolit Grand Master

.32 Winchester Special

First new cartridge in years, have read a bit about the 32 Special here and found a nice one tonight. Very plain but very clean, doubt it's been fired over a dozen times, if that. Built in 1969. Amazing.
    Couldn't find a thread about loading for it, Lyman doesn't have much either. I suppose with a .30-30 and a .35 Remmy I won't have any surprises. RD has his moulds on sale so that's a good start.
    Wondering if I can neck up 30-30 brass? Seems I have plenty of that lying around.
    Suggestions?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

30-30 brass necks right up in a single stroke on sizing, so you're good there. As to loading for it, I generally start at the bottom of the scale for 30-30 and work up from there. My favorite is a PP'd 30-30 160gr. flat-nose over 29.5gr. H335. Keep in mind if you're using 30-30 brass though. A 30-30 load will chamber in it, and rattle all the way down the pipe. On the bright side, a .32 Win will NOT chamber in a 30-30. So worst case if you mix them up is a little leading and no accuracy while you scratch your head for a minute and then groan.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

I had a Marlin 336, 32 Win Special back in the 90's. My best loads for it was with RL7 and the 323470. It shot ok (about 2" @100) with 27.0 gr 2146 fps, 19 fps SD, 2,585 OAL. My barrel was 24" lg. Alloy was 5% tin/WW.

Frank

TX, sounds like you lucked into a nice 94! There's some load data for the 32 Special in the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #3 but it looks like they don't stock the molds for any of the boolits listed. Mike Venturino's book #Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West" has a bit of data for both jacketed and cast bullets. I was just on the Ranchdog website and he lists a gascheck mold for this application--and while I didn't check for data, he does show data for about every mold that he makes. He's a nice guy and a member of this website. Ranchdog might be a good place to look.

Boolit Master

NOE makes a mould for it I belive.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Just a side note: Back during WWII and into the late 40s and early 50s (possibly even before but I doubt reloading was much of an issue with most shooters prior to WWII) it was a common practice to use a 30-30 size die and a 32 expander ball to load 32 WS. The supply of reloading equipment was extremely limited and a lot of people did not have the money even if the tools were available. I loaded a lot of 32 WS that way and still have the old die and expander. Of course it over worked the brass but a few reloads, beat no reloads.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend the RCBS 32-170-FN cast bullet for that .32 SPL. 30-30 load data for the 311041 can be very safely used. The dandy thing about that Winchester M94 .32 SPL is the 16" twist. You can drive that cast bullet with medium burning powders (3031, 4895, Varget, H335, etc) to 2200+ fps for hunting with probable excellent accuracy with softer cast bullets for expansion. I would also take a look at the LeveRevolution powder with that bullet as I've had very good results with it under the 311041 in the 30-30.

Nice find BTW.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

There is some reloading data at this location.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Master
    Took him Sunday with my Great Grandfather's 1894 .32 WS at about 50 yards with a single shot, 170 j bullet. It's another interesting cartridge with an interesting history and purpose. Sweet deal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11deer.jpg  
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

I have a single cav gc fp for the 32 spcl old ideal that still casts nice boolits 180grn if you are interested
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

tuckerdog>> If he passes on that mold, I might be interested in talking with you about it!

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lee 8mm gas check boolit sized to .323 and use 30.30 lead boolit data. Works for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Revelstoke View Post
    I use a Lee 8mm gas check boolit sized to .323 and use 30.30 lead boolit data. Works for me.
    I do the same for my 32 Spl Winchester! The load combo works just great!

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West" has a bit of data...jlchucker

Funny you should mention that book, it just happens to be on my nightstand but I haven't gotten to the 1894's yet.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a single cav gc fp for the 32 spcl old ideal that still casts nice boolits 180grn if you are interested-tuckerdog

Yes, I'd be interested. For some reason I feel the .32 needs something heavier than a 170 gr pill, 180 might be something worth trying. Please PM me a catalog number and a price.

Boolit Grand Master

There is some reloading data at this location.-Pirate69

Some? There's an awesome amount of data at that location! Wow! Had to add it to my favorites for closer study later.

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done, 429421Cowboy. I'll be long gone before my rifle has half the character yours does today. I'd love to hear the stories it could tell.

For some reason I feel the .32 needs something heavier than a 170 gr pill, 180 might be something worth trying.
    Actually, paper patching 30-30 160gr. FN and loading as jacketed (29-30gr H335 for me) produces one wicked shooter. It's an attention-getter without a doubt.

In Remebrance

Very nice, balanced and useful cartridge. IMO it's just a bit better than the 30-30 in the same type rifle/carbine. Excellent with cast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Nicely done, 429421Cowboy. I'll be long gone before my rifle has half the character yours does today. I'd love to hear the stories it could tell.
    Thank you. I would love to try cast in it someday. It had sat at the back of the safe, unshot for 60 years when my brother and i dug it out and started quizzing Dad on it. It has my Grandfathers initials whittled into the stock, apparently with a pocket knife. The story goes that his father gave it to him when he bought himself a "new" used Winchester model 54 30/06 and that it was my Grandfathers first hunting rifle.
    This thread has supprised me, i didn't think there was still as much interest in the old .32 ws as there is on this forum at least.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast