Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .32 Winchester Special

Boolit Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    This thread has supprised me, i didn't think there was still as much interest in the old .32 ws as there is on this forum at least.
    With this crowd it shouldn't.

I am slowly but with little success to try and pry a Win 94 in .32 WSPC out of Dorf's (My Da) hands and he's holding on with both!

The .32 WSPC is unique and a great medium game round. I have never taken game with it but it's without a doubt a great performer and would be a +1 on the addition to anyones inventory.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Grand Master

Have you slugged the throat and Bore? -Larry Gibson

Bore is .320, land is .317-.318. Seemed tight at the muzzle and another constriction about where the rear sight dovetail is. Long day, decided cleaning three rifles and slugging the bore was enough for one evening.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

TX,
    Are you saying that the groove diameter is .320 and the land is .317 - .318? If so, your rifling is only .001 to .0015 deep. It needs to be .003 (.314 - .320) deep. Your bullet may be "skipping" over the rifling. If that is so, try .320 - .321 jacketed.

Frank

On Heaven's Range

I have a pair of .32s. One is a Marlin Model 36 dating from the mid-1940s, and for some reason the .32 barrels from that era (or at least some of them) are severely undersize. Mine has a groove diameter of . 318, I believe. A few years ago, another member here named "oldfeller" had a similar rifle and contacted Marlin about it. They admitted that the .32 rifles of that time were bored undersize. Also the twist was 1 in 10".

At that time, Sundog opined that what we had is "fat .30-30s", and I'm inclined to agree with him. Whatever the dimensions, when proper-sized cast bullets are used the rifle reacts rather nicely. It also shoots jacketed .321s very well, but it doesn't see many of those.

The other rifle is a Model 64 Winchester, which does have "normal .32" dimensions and twist.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Might have been left over German 8mm barrels before the standard was upped to a genuine 8mm? A through twist check might show if this is a feasible truth. 10.0 twist would indicate American specs rather than German? ... felix
    felix

On Heaven's Range

We raised that possibility with Marlin , but they said no, all their barrels were new production with "non-military" tooling.

Just one of those mysterious things, I suppose. After the passing of fifty years or more, who knows just how much VALID information remains in the hands of a manufacturer?
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    We raised that possibility with Marlin , but they said no, all their barrels were new production with "non-military" tooling.

Just one of those mysterious things, I suppose. After the passing of fifty years or more, who knows just how much VALID information remains in the hands of a manufacturer?
    Too true, and with Marlin just changing hands recently?
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

The 32 Winchester Special may have lost most of it following among hunters and general shooters, it just grows in stature with cast bullet rifle shooters. It is our dream levergun! So there should be no surprise that it is favored so highly by folks in this board that know their way around cast bullets and rifles.

five years back Griffin and Howe was trying to sell a minty 1959 vintage Winchester 94 carbine in 32WS and was not having any luck. The collectors were running from it as it has a recoil pad and a Lyman 66 rear sight installed and the stock has been refinished after the installation of the pad. The price kept dropping and when it hit $300 I picked up the phone and bought it.

I loaded up some RCBS 170 FN over 30/H335 and went to the range. The rifle was pretty well sighted in as it was and my first 5 shot group caused my jaw to hit the bench. One ragged hole, followed by five more groups of the same size. This is all it took for me to understand the cast bullet magic of the 32 WS and those 1-16 barrels.

So wonder not, why we are so proud of these rifles.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I have a pair of .32s. One is a Marlin Model 36 dating from the mid-1940s, and for some reason the .32 barrels from that era (or at least some of them) are severely undersize. Mine has a groove diameter of . 318, I believe. A few years ago, another member here named "oldfeller" had a similar rifle and contacted Marlin about it. They admitted that the .32 rifles of that time were bored undersize. Also the twist was 1 in 10".

At that time, Sundog opined that what we had is "fat .30-30s", and I'm inclined to agree with him. Whatever the dimensions, when proper-sized cast bullets are used the rifle reacts rather nicely. It also shoots jacketed .321s very well, but it doesn't see many of those.

The other rifle is a Model 64 Winchester, which does have "normal .32" dimensions and twist.

FWIW - Info from Marlin Firearms Corp, the nominal bore dimensions for the 32 Special for both the 36 and 336 were .313 bore and .318 groove. After 1955 they were supposed to be .318 and .321 respectively. Twist on all is supposed to be 1:16" Regards, Woody
    Last edited by woody1; 12-13-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: add twist info
    Take a kid along

Very interesting. So, mine must have been a pre '55 and the post '55's must be MicroGroove barrels. You for sure want a lot of bullet in the grooves and a short nose with that. If it were my rifle, I'd try jacketed to see what it can do and use that as a base line for accuracy for cast.

Frank

Boolit Master

Guess I should have posted the whole thing......Marlin 36 up to 1946 was supposed to be 6 groove. Marlin 36 and subsequent 336 had 4 grooves until 1955 and then changed to 16 as did all the 336's. Just a little more nuisance info....in '58 the 30-30 groove count bounced up to 22 and later dropped to 12 as did the 35 Rem. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Grand Master

If it were my rifle, I'd try jacketed to see what it can do and use that as a base line for accuracy for cast.-Frank

Maybe so, Frank. It's just that I bought this 94 as a CB project to explore an interesting cartridge. I've only tried one load and two variations of that load so far. I've got a long way to go before I give up on CB's for this rifle. I'll try measuring the slug again but I'm still betting I can make those .323 RD boolits work. If not I'll try something else but with my stubborn disposition and the learned advice I get around here I'm pretty sure I can make this CB project a success.

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Had issues with seating depth (lube-fouled seating die) and inconsistent crimp (short cases) yesterday but discovered them too late in the loading process so shot them anyway with predictable results. Addressed them with a good die-cleaning and some handpicked new WW cases and kicked up the powder charge a bit for good measure. Yesterday's loads were a bit conservative for these hard RD boolits (35 & 35.5 748 and 27 4198) but I wanted to ease my way up. Today's loads are 36 & 36.5 748.
    I'm gonna figure this old girl out someday, hoping today's the day.

Is the RD a bore rider? If so does the nose fit snug in the bore? What size is the boolit body? Are you sizing them or shooting as cast? With the "odd" dimensions of the groove/bore it might need a full body size boolit .

If no joy comes do a throat impression to get a handle on throat dimensions.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master

Closing in on a load!

Fired two pretty warm loads under the RD 323-170 boolit today and those guys do indeed like to go fast. Fired two groups @ 50 yds, peep sights off sandbags, and liked what I saw, liked it so much I blew the 5th shot in the best group. Seems very much to like 36.5 grs Varget so will try it again and will also try .2 above and below just for grins. 37grs (Hodgdon site's max load) was a bit too hot, group size doubled and was somewhat vertical. No pressure signs with either load.
    I wouldn't call the RD boolits a bore riding design, mroliver77, but they do fit snugly in the bore and throat. Check out Ranch Dog's site for more details and drawings. I size them to .323 in a Lee sizer and use one coat of LLA and a second coat of Rooster Jacket. They're also heat treated and wear Hornady GC's.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 12-24-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Forgot pic!

Boolit Master

Have owned it for over a year but not shot it yet, been too busy with the 25-20's and a 25-35. I have done lots of shooting with the 32-40 so dont expect to many problems with the 32WS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32 ws 004.JPG   32 ws 003.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, nice rifle Marvin!

Boolit Master

Thanks TX, guess I should have posted what it is. Mod 64 Winchester made in the mid 1940's

Man, those 64s are nice rifles. I do prefer the look to my 94. Nice rifle Marvin.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I do the same for my 32 Spl Winchester! The load combo works just great!

Bruce
    Old thread revival!!!

Do you use that boolit in the tube magazine??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast