MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite 45-70 Load

In my trapdoors:

20/1- lead tin. Lee 405 grain hollow based boolit. BAC lube by White Label. 22.5 grains 4759. Shells expanded with full-length expanding die boolits seated with no crimp. No wads, no fillers.

Boolits seem perfectly snug.

Boolit Mold
    Hello all, I'm new to "castboolits" and lead casting in general. My reloading experience is moderate but competent.

My friend gave me some 300 gr cast bullets that he made and I would like to know if anyone could recommend a load using varget or H1000. These are the only powders I have and I really don't know if they're compatible with 300 gr cast.

I'm shooting a Marlin 1895.

Any help would be appreciated.

paul
    Last edited by Paydaypig; 12-06-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    460420 - 30 gr 4198 & a tuft of dacron
    460420 - 40 gr 3031 no filler
    round ball & 9 gr Unique loaded even to the mouth

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paydaypig View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to "castboolits" and lead casting in general. My reloading experience is moderate but competent.

My friend gave me some 300 gr cast bullets that he made and I would like to know if anyone could recommend a load using varget or H1000. These are the only powders I have and I really don't know if they're compatible with 300 gr cast.

I'm shooting a Marlin 1895.

Any help would be appreciated.

paul
    Paul,

Try about 40 gr of Varget to start with and see how that does. Ought to be a light load so there is room to work up. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Doc

Boolit Grand Master

I use 46.0gr IMR 3031 behind either the RCBS 405 or RD 425 for hunting and for play I shoot the same boolits ahead of 28.0gr 2400. Lubed with Felix for the RCBS and Xlox for the RD. Both loads give exceptional accuracy and quick kills.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

NOE 330Grain HP that's paper patched,16 grain's of Trail Boss

Boolit Master
    72 grs. Swiss 1 1/2 compressed .250, RCBS 535 gr., ACWW, Emmets lube, oatmeal box .30wad, Starline brass, Shiloh Long Range EXpress.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks hornsurgeon, btroj, Ranch Dog!

Got my RD 460-350GC mould a week or so ago, finally put it all together and took my trusty Guide Gun to the range. I've tried a few GG boolits in my GG but it hasn't liked them much. That all changed today. I like the 2400 load but my rifle really likes hornsurgeon's RL7 load!
    Wasn't happy with the crimp so trimmed the cases and will tweak it tomorrow.
    Thanks again, guys!
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 01-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Mine is my old 456192 over 13grains of Unique.

Boolit Master

it's a fairly stout load but not max by any means. if you want to find out about penetration, find an older pine planting and shoot down the row of trees. mine went thru 4 12" pines before vearing off into the wild.

Boolit Grand Master

405 OHAS PB, 16-18 BH, Can. Red lube, .459, 26 gr. 2400, Dac. filler!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

it's a fairly stout load but not max by any means. -hornsurgeon

Noticed that. Actually it's more pleasant to shoot than some of my 330 and 405 loads and more accurate to boot. 330 load jams my thumb knuckle into my nose just as it starts grouping nicely, not a good thing for a hunting load. Headed out to confirm my results, trimmed the cases and used a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp today. Forgot I had the T-crimp die, wasn't happy with the light roll crimp I used yesterday.
    I'm guessing velocity is around 1700-1750, ever chrono'd it in a Guide Gun, hornsurgeon? May have to dig out my old Chrony.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Range Report

Findings confirmed! Thanks hornsurgeon, your load worked great again in my rifle. Ran out of daylight "working on other projects" but found time to fire 10 quick shots, 7 out of 10 were well under 2". High shot was a called flier and the hits @ 3 o'clock were flinches, pure and simple. That's why I call the little brute "Thumper". Kid shooting with his family on the next bench enjoyed the fireballs. GG with a muzzle brake puts on a good show about sundown.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 04-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    Mihec 457122 sized to .459 federal gold medal primers and 14.4 of trail boss. Pushes the rams over easy

Boolit Grand Master
    my two most accurate are
    a 340 gr Accurate molds boolit w/53.0 gr 2015
    440 gr Hoch nose pour w/47.0 gr.3031
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    This one can really dance all over the place as the particular 'level" of 45-70 load was not asked for. Might caution some who want to try any of the above to double check the load against a manual to make sure it's safe in what firearm it is intended for.

Larry Gibson
    My thoughts also.
    The .45-70 is so versatile it's hard to recommend a "favorite" load without knowing what you want to do with it. 10 gr Unique behind a Ly 457191 makes a sweet little gopher load but I don't think I'd wanna' shoot a Grizzly bear with it?

John C. Saubak

Boolit Grand Master

The .45-70 is so versatile it's hard to recommend a "favorite" load without knowing what you want to do with it.--peerless cowboy

And therein lies the beauty of this round. It can be a fun plinker or (in the right rifle) a good rifle to pack along if you decide to hunt big tough critters that like to run both ways. Could also load it to most any level in between. At one time I was developing a "Sharps" load and a "Marlin" load and they had almost nothing in common. In one I was shooting BP and big, heavy GG boolits and in the other I was shooting the most modern propellants and LeverWhatever bullets. My 45-70 Sharps turned out to be a 45-90 and I finally convinced my Marlin that it likes boolits.
    I got two good loads from this thread, one pretty serious hunting load and another accurate and more pleasant load. Very happy with both of them and I'm making notes on a few more.

Boolit Buddy
    350gr rd 25gr 4759 good in 3 marlins and 2 double rifles.

Terry

My 1885 Highwall likes the Lee 500 grain as cast with 22.5 grains of SR 4759 for smokeless or 3 grains of SR 4759 under 62 grains of Goex FFg seated into the rifling. I'm amazed at the accuracy every time I shoot it. Therapy that's what it is.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite is 57 gr of W748 under either a cast 405 RCBS or Rem JSP. Either shoots about
    1.5" at 100, makes 1750 from my GG and Brian Pearce reports that it meets
    trapdoor pressure limits (very slow powder for the cartridge). I use a mag primer.

Field tested on zebra and blue wildebeeste. One shot each, dead within 25 yds.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast