Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Practical Dope on the 7.62X39

Boolit Mold
    Hi Fellas, I'm new to posting but have read many of the threads on this forum. I"ve just built an AR carbine in 7.62x39 and am wondering before I invest in a mold, sizing die, etc. if most of the material (AK, SKS, load data)discussed in this thread would apply to this weapon. If anyone out there has any experience with this I'd like to hear your experiences.

Boolit Master

I also own a 7.62x39 AR and yes, the loads correlate and function in the AR as well as the AK/SKS family. Check your bore's dimensions. I found my AR preferred a .310 bullet while my older SKS liked a .312 for better accuracy.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I use H322 24 g with Lee 160 TL . I take the gas rod out for single shot use. Also be sure to clean the gas tube of carbon or the rod will not go back in with the fouling. 2400 is a good choice I have 5 lbs of H322. In semi auto the SKS of mine dents the case necks
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 04-03-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AR47Shooter View Post
    Hi Fellas, I'm new to posting but have read many of the threads on this forum. I"ve just built an AR carbine in 7.62x39 and am wondering before I invest in a mold, sizing die, etc. if most of the material (AK, SKS, load data)discussed in this thread would apply to this weapon. If anyone out there has any experience with this I'd like to hear your experiences.
    Welcome ar47- slug your barrel so you know what size boolits to get/ size to. Eliminate that variable from the beginning. Your gonna love this place.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input, I'm most concerned about gas tube leading, is this generally a problem?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AR47Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the input, I'm most concerned about gas tube leading, is this generally a problem?
    It is my experience with my AK that if you are sized, lubed, and loaded correctly you will not have additional issues. But my recipe is not your recipe. Each individual weapon has its own. You just get to find yours. You can use the great advice and techniques you read here but ultimately you will settle into the load best for your weapon. Mind you, you will still have your periodic maintenance with cast boolits just as you would if you shot j words all the time. My favorite boolits for mine drops at .316 from a MiHec 4c GC mould. I size to .313 over 4227. One of the topics debated alot about the AK is "what kind of accuracy can I expect to get?" I have settled in at 3" groups at 50 yards. I'm good with that

Boolit Buddy

CZ 527 carbine range report

Three-four months ago I acquired a CZ 527 carbine. Last week I purchased some of Matts' 120 gr. 32 cal. bullets. This bullet is a spire point gas check design that look like a Lyman mold. Tuesday night I loaded up 15 rounds borrowing from what others have posted on this thread. I used 21.0 grains of AA 1680, WW primers, PPU cases and an OAL of 2.10." The first 3 shots were a cloverleaf 2" above the bullseye at 50 yards. I didn't hold as well after that but then I rarely do. Still, I think it is good load and hope to try again soon at 100 yards under calmer wind conditions. I also have an Arsenal AK and a Sig 556R that I can try this load in. Thanks to all for the great information posted on this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7.62x39_AA#1680.jpg  

Now THAT'S a CZ group! Welcome to the addiction, both CZ rifles and handloading cast boolits for 7.62x39mm! I still love the looks I get at the range when shooting cast out of either the 527 or the vz-58.

I will be loading some of the 155 Lee's I cast up the other day to test with H-335, because I have many pounds of it left and no .223 to load for anymore. I will start with that 16 grain load listed above for the 160 and work it up gently. Not running out of #1680, just looking to see what else I can do.

ncbearman, what mold is that for that nice HP boolit, or did you HP them on a Forster hollow point trimmer adapter or somesuch?

And I did indeed try that load today, and we have an accurate load that has no oomph whatsoever. My steel target was polite - it went *bong* every time they hit, but refused to move on the chains.Time to ramp it up gently, and see where we go with this.

I guess it wasn't that important.

Boolit Buddy
    It appears that when a stickie gets too long, posts can get lost. It is what it is.

No problem, I'll continue to experiment, and will definitely find the sweet spot.

Banned
    Great article...gave me lots of valuable info!
    Thanks
    Joe

Boolit Buddy
    I have had my 4th reading here.
    My M-H Cadet in 7.62x39 is due in next week and I have a bunch of J words -150 gr 0.312 waiting to go, but am most interested in a beagled version of the Lee .309/ 170gr, probably drop a batch of 4:2- pure lead : WW in ice water for paper plinking/accuracy check.
    The Barrel is .303/.314 Ishapore,will need to see how unsized CB do...
    Powder is Varget, 4227 and 4198.
    Will come back on this
    Cheers
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master

AR47,

I have not problems with leading in any of my uppers (223 Rem, 300BLK, 7.62x39) with shooting cast lead bullets. With a properly lubed and gas-checked bullet I literally have lube stars on my plain barrels and lube deposits on my barrels with compensators. No lead deposits in my barrels or gastubes.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I had gas port/piston leading when I ran wheel weight boolits. When I switched to lead about Lyman #2 or slightly harder, the leading vanished. I am about to try some Powder Coated boolits at higher velocities to see how well that works.

Word of warning, they work reeeeally well. Mine are coww in the lee 160gr, pc'd zombie green from our local forum vendor sitting over 25gr. H335. My mak is spot on to mil surp ammo. My pc loads were requiring I keep the sight leaf set at 1 all the way out to 250. If I set it at 2 I'm still high at 300.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Just shot my first PC loads, from a modified kneeling position.

Not bad. I will PC some of the 129 gr NOE boolits it likes and see how that goes.

Boolit Master
    Modified Kneeling position; translation
    He forgot his range stool again.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast