Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataPBcastco
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Practical Dope on the 7.62X39

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    My Yugo SKS shoots the group buy "fat 311041" just fine w/1.8cc surplus 4895.

RTL bullet weight = ~180 grs in ac/ww alloy;
    Velocity = ~1700 fps;
    accuracy = 5/8" @ 50 yards, 3 shots peep sights;
    function = 100 % reliable = never yet had a failure to feed or eject. It has also never leaded the barrel or the push rod.

Bullet lube = two coats of LLA. Sized .311" Lee push through.

If ya gotta Yugo, ya oughter try it!! The regular Lyman 311041 works just fine, too. One of these days I'll try the group buy "fat soup can" bullet and see if it'll run at ~2,000 fps.
    Junior,
    I've read your site information on your Yugo SKS and really appreciate it. I have a Chinese SKS and have been too busy to even fire it once!

Whether you agree or not, my gut tells me that a large meplat, heavy boolit traveling slower than a higher speed pointed projectile will more likely do what I want done. Maybe that is what your site information is really saying.

When I DO finally get a chance, I am inclined to try both 4227 and some shotgun powder (red dot - unique - 700x).

I'm happy with 1800 FPS and even 1000 FPS if the projectile is heavy and flat nosed enough.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Bob, I think a slower powder would more likely cycle your SKS action. My surplus 4895 is a tad slower than H4895. I agree 100% about a wide meplat and slower velocity. My 10" 7mm TCU expansion tests opened my eyes.

Junior, did you have any trouble getting that boolit to feed in an SKS? I tried cutting the tip off of a Harris boolit to get a meplat on it & got nothing but jams. What COAL are you loading to?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Bob, I think a slower powder would more likely cycle your SKS action. My surplus 4895 is a tad slower than H4895. I agree 100% about a wide meplat and slower velocity. My 10" 7mm TCU expansion tests opened my eyes.
    What is the approximate amount of 4895 you are using? I have both IMR4895 and IMR4831 back in Redding, CA.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Krack View Post
    What is the approximate amount of 4895 you are using? I have both IMR4895 and IMR4831 back in Redding, CA.

Bob
    I use 1.8cc/~23.0 grs of surplus 4895. I'd start with 21.0 grs of H4895.

Re: JiminPHX: A picture is worth a thousand words. I didn't measure the exact COAL. I seated in the 2nd groove as you see here. I had room to seat even further out if I'd wanted.

Junior,
    thanks for posting that. I'll have to get my hands on a few of those boolits & make up some dummies to see if they will feed for me. I'm not sure if the Yugo variant just feeds better or if something about the shape of that boolit allows it to feed with a meplat. A meplat as small as 1/8" diameter on the Harris boolit caused a feed jam for me every time when I tried it. That picture is worth a thousand words.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

12.5 grs. of 2400 will cycle my Chinese SKS with the Lee 160 gr. GC TL bullet all day long MV@1400+fps. now if I step it up to 14.5 I get pretty close to 1900 fps. and brass ends up between 10 to 15' away.

For any rifle that 2400 want cycles I like a starting load of 18.0 grs. of Reloader#7 with bullets in the 160 to 180 gr. range and you should get reliable cycling,it's worked for me ever time it's been tried. It want throw the brass to far but it want be right at your feet either.

Boolit Man
    I've been looking at picking up that 160 grn g/c bullet mold and I was wondering if I could get solid data on a load that could push 2000 fps safely. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by savage1r View Post
    I've been looking at picking up that 160 grn g/c bullet mold and I was wondering if I could get solid data on a load that could push 2000 fps safely. Thanks.
    At 2,000 fps my 9.5" twist Yugo is spinning a bullet 151,578 rpms. Not many cast bullets would make 100 yds at that rate without coming apart.

My 1700 fps load turns 128,842 rpms, which is borderline disintergration with my alloy (ac/ww). When you notice groups spreading out and strange little commas on the bullet holes, back down the powder charge. The little commas are the bullets coming apart between the lube grooves.

Note: Thanks to Newton, a bullet going 130,000 rpms at the muzzle is still going ~130,000 rpms at the target in spite of its decreased velocity.
    Last edited by Junior1942; 06-11-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Boolit Man
    The article has a quick blurb about hard casting the lead, lube and gc, using h335 with 28 grains and pushing 2000 fps, that's why I am asking. 28 grains is quite a bit of powder though, so of I can get away with using 15 grains of alliant 2400 and get 1800ish fps, that would be just fine, I just want to confirm those numbers.

Boolit Master

At 2,000 fps my 9.5" twist Yugo is spinning a bullet 151,578 rpms. Not many cast bullets would make 100 yds at that rate without coming apart.

My 1700 fps load turns 128,842 rpms, which is borderline disintergration with my alloy (ac/ww). When you notice groups spreading out and strange little commas on the bullet holes, back down the powder charge. The little commas are the bullets coming apart between the lube grooves.

Note: Thanks to Newton, a bullet going 2,000 fps at the muzzle is still going ~2,000 fps at the target in spite of its decreased velocity.
    Junior, don't you mean that a bullet turning 130,000 rpm at the muzzle will still be doing 130,000 at the target?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Junior, don't you mean that a bullet turning 130,000 rpm at the muzzle will still be doing 130,000 at the target?
    Yep. I fixed it. Glad you caught the error.

Fabulous info! Ive not loaded a round for about 20 years, and am getting back to rollin my own to get some accuracy out of the SKS I built and my AK. Thanks!
    I read a lot of magazines. All mine say are Counts as 3 Compliance Parts.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you so much for all this information. The data on Lymans Reloading Handbook 49th Edition only covered cast bullet loading information for 115 gr and 130 gr in the 7.62x39mm Russian caliber. I though I was going to get stuck with-out the proper load data for my Lee C312-155-2R Mold. Life saver. Thanks

Boolit Mold
    HI
    Ive got a VZ58 and want to start casting for it.
    Right now i have fast burning powders (hp38,clays,700-x) and was wondering if there is a load with the 155 or 160gr lee mold that will cycle the action with these powders.
    Ive seen them mentioned in use here and there but on the forum but some say they have to manually cycle. I imagine the 700-x would be best given that is the slowest powder i have.
    Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    I did just that in front of 6 grains of Trailboss. Perfect!
    Does that load cycle the action?
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

I read somewhere that jacketed bullet data can be used with cast bullets of the same weight. Is this another case of "internet baloney"?

Boolit Buddy
    Not baloney, but use starting loads and work up carefully.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used both cast bullets molds from lee, and they drop out at .314 , my chicom sks is actual bore diam is .316 , I tried the fat 314299 ya , 190 grains 16 grains 2400 seated the bullet way out, second grease grove showing and got it shooting fair, then found a old ideal 311413 that droped out at a whopping, .318, well I never sized them just put on a gas check, ran it in my sizer only to seat the gas check , tumble lubed the rest, 30 of them put in 4198, 2400 unique, finally settled on 3031 15 grains to boot ran the bullet home up to first grease grove ( so grove is just above with about .002" of sliver showing and using a lee factory crimp, found some of the best shooting, and absoluely no lead build up no were, I lubed gas tube and piston with ( would you believe synthetic whale oil), accuracy at 50 yards way to say the least awsome I got to load back up and get some more powder, I'm out seems everything these days is prefering IMR 3031, I do t know why, give it a try, I've tried everything, it seems to like 24 grains of 3031 and a hornady ( yuck) bullets to . They are .310 wierd, ok getting 1 1/2 " groups with a cheap assed china made and mountwith set screwsand nuts, put it on and cannot get it off now doggone thing is good enough for me to give it a go on deer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Does that load cycle the action?
    No. I operate the action like a bolt. I was looking for quiet accuracy, and found it.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast