RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Practical Dope on the 7.62X39

Aluminum checks, home made?

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Yes. You can either make them out of pop (soda) can strips or aluminum roofing material. I have both types. One makes them for GC bullets while the other can be used on designs that woumd not normally be GC'd.

Aluminum is softer than copper. Making your own is part of the hobby of casting your own bullets. Some folks report improved accuracy using their cast bullets. I make them for 9mm and my 38spl/,357Mag bullets and use them most of the time. There are a couple of gentlemen making the die punches for both types of GC's.

My ratio of lead bullets to plated/fmj would be around 100:1 lead over the plated/fmjs for my handguns and rifles.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

7.62, I have shot the SKS with piston removed using the Lyman# 311284 in single shot mode with very good results, but must mention that the Mold was slightly enlarged to .314" at the driving bands, & .309" for the nose, WC 680 & R.P. Brass (sml.-primer) Five Fang

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Yes, so was the gas check maker

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody try the Unique loads listed in Lyman's books?

Question

Greetings. I'm new to casting (just getting started really) but have reloaded jacketed, sintered, and plated stuff for years. I used to live not too far from National Bullet Co so I made out like a bandit @ shows for years, until the copper shortage and change of ownership killed them dead. So I'm still out shopping for new casting toys.

After selling off a .315 chinese SKS I had forever, I picked up a Ruger American Ranch in russian short recently. Shoots well with most everything I've tried so far. Roughly ~1MOA best I can tell.
    The old Yugo M67 feels hot compared to all the other commercial ammo and surplus I've tried, especially an old pile of handloaded junk I ran up for the SKS long ago on some 32-20 118?gr.
    (was the only thing that Chi-com *** would shoot well) So far it's a fun rifle. Making me think I should have spent another $50 and got a Howa 1500 instead. Couple more inches of barrel and a better action.

I'm just about out of most powders that would work for this application and I like VV the best, but it can get pricey so I'm starting to shop around.

So a couple of questions:

-most folks here probably load both cast and jacketed as well. Has anyone compared Berrys' 123gr plated to their cast loads? (edit: or Xtreme. didn't realize they made one too)

-I'm curious if anyone has tried any of the Vectan powders with this caliber? I notice they don't list this caliber in the guide I found @grafs

-anyone found a good Hollow Point mold design in this caliber? (edit #2. Just found the NOE CTL-313-150 RF RD. Very interesting...)
    Last edited by squidtamer; 05-02-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a ruger ranch in 7.62x39 as well. the load i shoot is the rcbs 130 grain, powder coated, over 25 grains of rl 7. nearly duplicates ballistics of the 123 grain wolf and is just as accurate. no problem hitting the 24 inch rams at 550 yards if i get the dope correct.
    btw, my ruger shoots the wolf factory ammo into 4-5 inches at 300m all day long. love that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by squidtamer View Post
    -anyone found a good Hollow Point mold design in this caliber? (edit #2. Just found the NOE CTL-313-150 RF RD. Very interesting...)

This boolit shoots well from my SKS's. It does hit the nose on something as it loads and the mark shows but, not much deflection that I can tell. I really like the HP option.
    A deplorable that votes!

Seven on steel, one on wood, (look right below the target), and two went out for a beer. It works well enough, I think, for 'yote.

Boolit Buddy
    -anyone found a good Hollow Point mold design in this caliber? (edit #2. Just found the NOE CTL-313-150 RF RD. Very interesting...)[/QUOTE]
    I have used the NOE 313 150 RD will great success in both my Zastavas and a Ruger Ranch rifle, usually with a case full of Data 68 powder, can't remember the exact charge but can post later if interested. I have one of the hollow pointed moulds and the deeper HP pin is a pain the cast with as the bullets stick quite a bit, for hunting i had good results with the shorter cup point pin, has accounted for several deer.

A new test bed has been acquired through the usual shady dealing, (kidding), for this caliber. So far the 11 inch barrel is doing fine, target shot at 50 yards during sight in, iron sights only.
    CZ BREN 2 MS pistol with Shockwave brace.

Attachment 260963

Same load, BREN 2 MS pistol, brace equipped, kneeling, 3 out of 5, 10-15 MPH crosswind, iron sights, 200 yards. I will do better next time.

Boolit Master

Looks pretty good to me, how are y’all depriming these or did you use boxer brass?
    90% professional 10% mature

Boxer primed, mostly Winchester, some Lapua. I know there is a way to reload steel case once, but I am not that desperate yet.

Boolit Master

Well still some damn fine results sir!
    90% professional 10% mature

I went back out a few days ago, and the 3 shot group tightened up, shows POA is consistent, but I need to work on the rifleman skills somewhat.

Sidebar, after approximately 400 rounds of cast lead handloads a close up inspection was done of the piston head, (separate part from the gas piston itself), and gas port area. Lead was cast approximately 17 BH, and double powdercoated. What appears to be lead residue as found on the piston head, but the layer is so thin it can only be seen under very bright light, and could honestly be a casting defect in the part itself. The port showed what appeared to be spattered leading around the outside of the port, which scrubbed off very easily. It is important to note that right at the gas port was also copper residue. The firearm continues to operate perfectly using said handloads. Me so happy me gonna do it again tomorrow.

And I did. 4 out of 5 now at 200 yards.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    I agree with Ed. I read his article in the American Rifleman on loading cast isn SKS. I would like to know of any "Whisper type" loads for 7.62x39mm Also thanks for Eds Red bore cleaner. It costs me 80% less than store bought cleaner. Great for all but bad copper fouling(Shooting cast in my 32 mag,41 mag, 7.62x39,45-70 ,45 acp and 12 ga shotgun it works just great!! Rick
    Ed's red is Where It's At. I substitute lacquer thinner for acetone as it evaporates less readily.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast