MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 9mm and Unique

9mm and Unique

I got a Rcbs 09-124-RN-TG that I casted some water dropped range lead in. THe mould is dropping at 126.5 g. I started looking up some loads for this boolit using some unique. I have several reloading books including a couple old lyman's and none list this exact boolit. The problem I'm seeing is the load data starting weights are really all over the place. One book lists a starting charge of 3.5 and a top of 5 another starts at 4 and tops at 5.5. I checked allaints site and they dont show a charge for a lead bullet. So I loaded up about 20 with 4g at 1.1 coa and shot them. I didn't check for accuracy just function in my Kimber Gold Match. Gun functioned fine but is showing slight leading btw I lubed with carnauba red.

I wasn't sure about seating depth with this boolit either. I started with 1.5 which cycled through the gun fine but the edge of the case was just above the lube groove and you could see the lube. I pushed it back in to 1.1 . I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this boolit, is 4 g a light load? Seemed to be kinda light shooting it but I was just shooting into my creek not at a target..
    That boolit really has a large lube groove for a small 9mm.
    Last edited by kb8yrw; 11-26-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Have a great day!
    kb8yrw

I use 4.5 Unique with 121 gr Lee RN. I started with 4 gr but was too light, I got some stovepipes. Loaded to 4.5, both Glock and Sig 226 function perfectly. The Sig really likes this load! It was one of the most accurate I tested in the 226 including jacketed, factory, & other lead bullets. It is hard to go wrong with Unique as a test platform to measure other powders against.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    I use 4.5 Unique with 121 gr Lee RN. I started with 4 gr but was too light, I got some stovepipes. Loaded to 4.5, both Glock and Sig 226 function perfectly. The Sig really likes this load! It was one of the most accurate I tested in the 226 including jacketed, factory, & other lead bullets. It is hard to go wrong with Unique as a test platform to measure other powders against.

Rich
    I need to get over to the range and put it on paper and see how it is really shooting. What kind of lube are you using? Any leading? Just cast my test boolits yesterday and they test at 18 bhn but usually get to 24 in about a week. Seems pretty hard for range lead from what I've read but I consistantly get those numbers with my cabinet tree tester.
    If your using 4.5 g with a 121 then I shouldn't be too far off with my 126.5.
    Have a great day!
    kb8yrw