WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: question about copper sheets

Boolit Bub

question about copper sheets

being a noob this might be a dumb question. When looking for copper sheets for gc's what do you want. Will copper roof flashing work? just a thought. I see some sheets for sale here. I have a small supply from a roof repair.

Boolit Master

Par Marlin would probably be better to answer that for you than I but as long as its not too thick it should make great checks.

I've been using .010" thick copper foil. The softer the better. The first batch I bought was from the large order that Pat Marlin made, but I believe he's run out. My second order was for a roll from Storm Copper Components: http://store.electrical-insulators-a...pper-foil.html

There are some places with cheaper prices, but Storm includes shipping in their pricing. I figured it out both ways, and Storm ended up being cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Banned

Yep- it all depends on how hard it's tempered and how thick it is. You have to give it a try. I would try samples of any metals before investing in it. The only proven AL has been cans and Amerimax .014.

Wish I could get that copper at that price again. Times sure have changed on that.

The most cost effective gas checks are Plain Base checks. Plain base molds are looking like a real good investment these days, with PB dies so you can make your own checks out of cheaper thin metals.

I bought my copper sheets from a place called industrial metal supply. They spec the sheets by the pound, but the guy at the counter was able to translate that into thousandths for me. I think that the stuff I got was around .016" thick, but I need to go back & check that.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a pretty good sized roll of .016 copper flashing/roofing.
    It's kind of thick, I didn't have much luck with it with a Patmarlins 30 cal tool
    but may work for larger calibers.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

the factory hornady checks i have measured .018.... but the real question is what is the measurement on the shank of your boolit?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have the itch, but I don't have the scratch.

Boolit Master

I have been playing with 40 ga. copper as jacket material it seems to work except I am having trouble filling the base edge out completely. This causes flyers I am thinking if I bevel the base that problem mat be solved. Whether I roll the core in the copper and than swage or center core in copper then push into swage die results are similar. I have only been working with 45 acp so far. Part of my problem is not using pure lead as a core alloy flows less they soft lead. Copper was a 11 inch by 36 inch roll from a hobby shop for $9.99.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.