Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heritage Arms quality?

Boolit Grand Master

Heritage Arms quality?

I'm sure most of you know by now about my nightmare with the Taurus 22 revolver I bought. It's still not back from the second trip to the Miami repair center.

I'd like to get some feedback on Heritage Arms 22 revolvers. I've heard good and bad, but have no personal experience.

The primary purpose of this revolver will be for 'coon hunting. If one is treed at an elevation of 25 feet or so, I would use the revolver to 'untree' him. I don't expect the revolver to shoot 1 MOA at a hundred yards. I think it would be reasonable, though, to be able to shoot a one inch group or so at 50 feet off a rest.

My concern about the Heritage line is that I don't want to go through the same scenario I did with Taurus. I realize that a Heritage is not a S&W. But, I'm on a limited budget and can't afford the best. I'm just looking for a 22 revolver that won't lock up or fall apart on me.

When the 'abomination' comes back from Miami, I plan on having my dealer sell it for me. That's all I'll have to work with in funds. I realize I can only get so much with that little bit of money, but that's where I am.

I just found out that Heritage makes a model with swap-out cylinders and adjustable sights. That would be perfect for what I want. Below is the model RR22MB6AS.

I would appreciate any personal experience with Heritage quality to help me make a good decision.

Thanks, guys!

Boolit Grand Master
    Jim,

I don't have any first hand experience shooting a Heritage, but one of the AO2's at my last command bought one about 2003, and was satisfied with it. He did know how to shoot.

He said it wasn't Ruger quality; but it didn't cost like a Single Six either, and it shot okay. Just what he considered okay I do not know; but I would take his word that I wouldn't be too dissatisfied with one, if I needed one.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Robert. I'm going to check on their warantees befoe I purchase one, if I do. I won't buy it if they won't stand behind it.

Boolit Master

Check Buds they have some good prices on them.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Grand Master

Jim; I have first hand experience with the Heritage "Roughrider" I believe it was called, I can sum it up in a single word, junk. I've now got a Ruger single six and love it. FWIW I sold/dumped the heritage to a bartender, then never went there to drink ever again.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    'Bout on the same level as Taurus, huh?

Boolit Master

Last Gun Show Prices

I had a Ruger Single-Six and gave it to my son since he learned to shoot with it. That got me to eyeing another Ruger, but at the last gun show, I saw the Roughriders going between $229 ~ $289, with most around the $249 range. They look like to Single-Six, but feel rougher. Maybe they are worth the money, but I feel like a gun is an investment and it should keep it's value to some degree. I'm not so sure about Heritage Arms. Someone else will have to convince me, I'm not doing it on my dime.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Love Life
    You can usually find them relatively cheap. I have the fixed sight version with the interchangeable 22lr/22mag cylinders. It shoots about 7 inches high and 2 inches to the left at 25 feet, but does so consistantly. Aside from that it has been a solid gun that has been a lot of fun. Takes a bit to get used to the safety though.

Sure aint a single six though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    'Bout on the same level as Taurus, huh?
    My Taurus M65 has fired many wheel barrow full of 357 and 38's nary a hickup, lucky I guess.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I got three into the shop and all 3 needed work before I could sell them two wouldn't even fire as the transfer bars were too short to hit the firing pin. nough said

Boolit Buddy
    My Old Taurus 92 has fired many 1000's of rounds...and will be going back to shoot another action pistol competition tomorrow...Haven't had Any Problems so far...I bought it used over 11 years ago!

Terry

I wold give the Taurus one more chane beofre buying a Heritage based on the one I shot last year.The barrel was loose in the frame ! In my neck of the woods I"ve seen Mark3 rugere .22's for about the same price as Heritages,and they are waaaaaaaay more gun than the Heritage. imho,ymmv

Boolit Buddy
    I have that model ordered in the 6.5" barrel, I also bought the 3.5 in bbl birdshead grip model for the wife a few years ago and have had no problems with it. also, my dad has one as a truck gun thats had no problems i've ever heard of. I did have the 9" bbl version years ago, no problems with it but, either the sights were off on that one or i just didnt shoot it enough. It's not a ruger for sure, but its half the price too. also the gunstore i deal with cant seem to keep them in stock and he says he hasnt had any come back. one thing i have heard is you dont want to fan the hammer as the insides arent made of the strongest metal to hold up to such abuse. I did it once with the wifes gun and it still works,but i wouldnt make a habbit of it with any revolver anyway. just my .02
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Grand Master
    I think it would be safe to say that, at least once in awhile, every gun mfg'r. makes a bad gun. That means that somebody will get a good one and be impressed with it and the next guy will get a bad one and swear everything they make is junk.

What I'm watching is the PERCENTAGES of each type of experience people have had. Just in 12 responses, it's starting to look like the Heritages belong on the same shelf with the Tauruses.

I try not to classify everything made by "X" mfg'r. I've seen posts where somebody did that and I think "Wait a minute, now. I've got one and mine shoots just fine."

Honestly, I STILL have one Taurus revolver. It's a little .38 +P DAO snub nose and it functions flawlessly. However, I'm not willing to buy another one because of the bad experiences I've had with other ones I've owned. I'm not willing to take the chance.

I have to take into account the percentage of negative appraisals I see on "X" brand before I buy one. Loose barrel, shootin' way off POA, three in the shop, I have to say this doesn't sound good.

I keep hearin' "Single Six". Wonder why?

Boolit Buddy
    a single six is about the best single action 22 revolver out there and no one disputes that jim. but , its gonna cost alot more than the heritage and granted if you have the money, I would definitely buy one, you wont be sorry for buying one. but if your on limited funds and not planning on shooting thousands of rounds a month, the heritage is a good gun for the price . If you get lucky, and i mean very lucky, you can find a nice single six for a little over 300 used, but i havent seen many at that price.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Grand Master

Heritage Arms Warranty

THIS ain't good enough for me. I'll hold out 'till I can find and afford a Single Six.

Boolit Buddy
    Jim, It's Not Likely you'll go Wrong with the Ruger Single Six, or even the Convertible Six with the two cylinders!.....They are Great Guns!!

Terry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    THIS ain't good enough for me. I'll hold out 'till I can find and afford a Single Six.
    And...I AGREE...That doesn't make them look GOOD! LOL..

Terry

Boolit Master

U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Banned

"CAN I CHANGE MY ROUGH RIDER BARREL TO A DIFFERENT SIZE BARREL?
    No, because your Rough Rider was registered to you with a certain barrel length and serial number. BATF maintains this information and it cannot be altered. If a barrel length is changed, then a new serial number and new registration must follow. This is a lengthy and costly procedure. We do not sell Barrels and Frames to consumers or dealers."

What BS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast