Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Source for .380 sizer die.

Source for .380 sizer die.

A while back I asked for advice about a .38-55 that was key holing at short range. I received a lot of help including some boolits to try. The best results were with ones that measure .380. I bought a Lee mold and cast some that are .381 and now I would like to lube and size them. I have a Saeco and all the dies I see are .378 or less. I guess I could tumble lube and try them as is but a loaded .380 is already snug in the chamber. So - any ideas?
    Thanks - Dan

Does Bullshop still make size dies? Been a while since I've been on here much.

Boolit Master

Buffalo Arms makes custom dies for the Saeco.
    380 Die
    Michael

In that situation, I make Lee style push through sizers (or buy one from Michael above if his will work) to size the bullets, than dip lube them and cut the lube off with a cartridge case or other thin tube. No lubesizer needed and nice straight, round boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Polish out a Lee push thru die with a slotted dowel and 320 wet or dry.

Be careful with your crimp. I was overcrimping ever so slightly and raising a ring just below
    the crimp. When I backed off the crimp a touch, I had less chambering issues.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 11-27-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    There's a couple of guys on the forum that make special sizing dies but not sure about Saeco style. I bought several from 'Buckshot' a while back and I'm very happy with the quality and prompt service.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Sometimes at that diameter a thousandths or so is very critical to chambering in some 38-55s. Think about your alloy and if it is possible to reduce the antimony content a little. You would be surprised how you can shrink a bullet changing alloys, and in the 38-55 hardness may not be critical to shoot well.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Quick update. Just for fun I loaded one as cast and it chambered okay. I then lubed some with melted bullet lube in a tin can and scraped the excess off with a washer that just fit over the boolit. I loaded them and they shot pretty good but this pan lubing is messy. I am going to try some Lee liquid alox next and maybe I won't have to size them after all.
    Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master
    Lee will make you one of their push through sizers. As I recall it costs 25$ plus shipping for a custom sizer.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    You won't believe this, but it really isn't a big deal to hand lube bullets. It is even easier with a thinned alox wash and no GC. 38-55 is generally a pretty easygoing cartridge to load for. A 4895 range of powder for smokeless, or slightly compressed black. A hard bulet is not truly needed, just a little hardness for what you are doing. A mild primer. Good shooting on paper, deadly on deer.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT