WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good inexpensive single shot action for heavier 30.06 loads?

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

Good inexpensive single shot action for heavier 30.06 loads?

I've been thinking for a long time getting a strong single shot action setup with a scope to load strong 30.06 loads. I'm not too familiar with these type ations, but am interested in something that has a trigger guard lever to open the rifle (not a full Winchester 97 style, just a hook off the trigger guard) or something like a rolling block action or along those lines.

I'd like to keep the price as low as possible, the action and steels as strong as possible so I can use "full case" 30.06 loads.

Thanks,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    Did you mean Winchester " 94 " style ?

Boolit Grand Master
    This single shot is imported by Remington right now.

The IZH 18, about $250, available in 30/06 Springfield

[IMG][/IMG]

Get a Ruger #1 if you want bank vault security! Hey you said heavy loads...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    I've been thinking for a long time getting a strong single shot action setup with a scope to load strong 30.06 loads. I'm not too familiar with these type ations, but am interested in something that has a trigger guard lever to open the rifle (not a full Winchester 97 style, just a hook off the trigger guard) or something like a rolling block action or along those lines.

I'd like to keep the price as low as possible, the action and steels as strong as possible so I can use "full case" 30.06 loads.

Thanks,

Dave
    Someone suggested the Ruger No. 1 and it certainly has merit and is the best looking one you could get. But also look at the Thompson Encore. It has the action you describe. You can get a new one for about $550 which is still less than the Ruger. Now the best part: For about $200 to $250 you can buy barrels in many, many calibers, from .22 Hornet to .500 S&W! You can change barrels in 2 minutes. You can buy the extra barrels whenever you want and they require no fitting to your action. The Encore is a Contender on steroids so it can shoot really heavy recoiling calibers. Check it out. http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encore.php

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post

Thanks,

Dave
    If price is the deciding factor, go down to WalMart and buy a Handi-Rifle, ~$200.

But I have doubts that they will handle sustained heavy loads as he described.

Banned
    TC Encore +1...no ffl needed to try another caliber, just lay your credit card by the computer and osmosis makes it appear on your doorstep....truly the 9th wonder of the world....

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Did you mean Winchester " 94 " style ?
    Ben,

I don't know enough about lever action rifles to give you a decent answer. But I know I'm not looking for a lever action. I'm looking for a strong, simple action. Since I'm wanting to get maximum output ouf of the 30.06, I figure a strong single action is the way to go. I suspect a single action based on a shotgun break open will not do the job safely. I suspect I'll need something with a stronger design.

Regards,

Dave

Banned
    An H&R is not intended to be beat on day in and day out with anything approaching magnum loads, I don't care what H&R?NEF/Marlin says...I have seen an H&R in 280 get loosey goosey after as few as 100 factory hunting loads....they are great in 30/30 and down, but I would not buy another based on the 06 case for constant use....just my $219.00 worth....

Boolit Grand Master
    When you say that you want to keep the price as low as possible , that in my mind , rules out the Ruger # 1 which really tears up $1,000.00 right now.

I've got serious doubts that the single shot that I posted the pic of would be sold in large numbers by Remington if they didn't feel it was safe.

I can't think of any " cheap " single shot that will stand " red line " loads on a steady basis .

If a Handi rifle or the Rem.Single shot isn't to your liking, you're next step will require a substantially greater cash outlay if you choose to stay with a single shot action design.

Best,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-20-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Second hand bolt rifle, new quality barrel. Will work!

Single shot, lotsa bucks, might work.

Blank the mag off if you like, but unless you are gonna spring for a Ruger or similar, I think you will be outa luck.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

You guys have broken my heart. I was hoping one of those eyetalian gun makers or somebody else had decided to make a rolling block action with modern steel or some such and I just didn't know about it. Apparently I'm outta luck. I'll just have to stick with a modern bolt action and be done with it.

Dang,

Dave

Boolit Master
    I do question the overloading of any cartridge. It seams to me that any rifle made for a specific cartridge today will handle safe loads in it for a considerable periode of time. If you want more velocity buy a larger cartridge like say a 300 mag of some sort. There are more than one on the market. Now I have personally killed 14 deer, 42 Carabou, 4 elk and one Black Bear with a 30-06 using a 150 or 180 gr bullet at around 2700 to 2800 fps and never felt the need for more power. Besides which I found that higher pressure loads just did not shoot as accurately as more moderate ones.

ALL rifles are single shot!!! The magazine, if any, is a just convenient place to carry a few extra rounds.

Boolit Master
    Dave, find a nice used bolt gun. There should be plenty at a gun show (or maybe a garage or estate sale). No need to pay new gun prices. The bucks you save can go for other toys.

I'm with Nick. If you need to push the top end, get something bigger, otherwise the sanely loaded stuff works real well.

Boolit Master
    Dave,

I'll side with 357Maximum on this one-T/C Encore. Don't underestimate them.
    The Handi-Rifle ?
    But if you are talking about a sturdy single shot Ruger #1 is fine, but I would rather have a 1885 High Wall, and yes, they are out there in 30-06. About the same money.

Check this one out
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifie...976676973.aspx

Jon

Boolit Master
    Dave, it sounds as if you've been bitten by two bugs at the same time. You want a SS and you want enhanced .30 cal. performance. I used to be a die-hard .30-06 man myself and can tell you that a properly loaded '06 can do about anything within reason. But trying to make a magnum out of one isn't a good idea, nor is it necessary. If you want magnum performance I'd have to advise as others have... get a magnum. If you're going to be a bear, why not be a grizzly? Go for broke and get yourself a .300 Win. in a Ruger #1. Heck, you only get to go around one time... enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by lovedogs View Post
    Dave, it sounds as if you've been bitten by two bugs at the same time. You want a SS and you want enhanced .30 cal. performance. I used to be a die-hard .30-06 man myself and can tell you that a properly loaded '06 can do about anything within reason. But trying to make a magnum out of one isn't a good idea, nor is it necessary. If you want magnum performance I'd have to advise as others have... get a magnum. If you're going to be a bear, why not be a grizzly? Go for broke and get yourself a .300 Win. in a Ruger #1. Heck, you only get to go around one time... enjoy it!
    Doesn't Pat Marlin have a No. 1 in .300 Mag that he was thinking about rebarrelling or reboring to .375? Maybe he would be interested in selling you his so he can buy the gun of his dreams. Make both of you happy.

Gentlemen,

I'm not wanting to load the 30.06 to magnum load levels. I'm wanting to load the 30.06 to close to maximum 30.06 levels and use heavy bullets. I don't know exactly how to express this, but I'll try.

Back since the use of 30.06 loads in WWII, the 30.06 has been "underloaded" a good bit. I'm suspect it can be uploaded to a higher performance level using modern powder and a modern steel gun and the results could be quite interesting. The objective is to fill the case with a modern powder and push it so that I'm getting proportionate performance to when you load up a .308, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself clearly, because it doesn't translate in written word all that well. I'm not interested in a magnum. What I'm interested in is exploring the performance envelope of the 30.06 and see what I find out when using modern powders and a modern gun. I'm interested in a single shot because of the strength, simplicity and the potential for a tiny bit more accuracy.

I've hope I've communicated what exactly I'm interested in. This is not for hunting, not for target shooting, but rather, is for a learning experience. I'm not looking for a "common sense" approach or a better "solution" gun wise for hunting, etc. I'm looking to work on maximizing all around performance of the 30.06. I suspect, but don't have the gun to try it in, that there is higher crossing point between velocity and accuracy that can be reached with the 30.06 than the loads listed in current manuals, simply because these loads are listed for older firearms as well as modern steels. I'd like to explore that area and see what I learn.

If you already know the answer to this question, please don't tell me. I'd rather find it out myself. And yes, I know a good bit about experimenting and how to do such things safely, as I worked in research and development fo years and I've designed a text fixture or two. I also plan to run the math as well.

Finally, I'd like to say this is NOT my normal approach to reloading, which is to use very conservative reloads at moderate velocities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast