RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Small game load with .38 Special 125 grain bullet

Boolit Master

Small game load with .38 Special 125 grain bullet

I am trying to get into the habit of using one revolver for alot of my handgun hunting. In this case my Smith Outdoorsman. I already have a big game load worked up, now I am trying to figure out a decent grouse/rabbit/squirrel load (maybe a bit much for squirrels except for headshots) using a 125 grain cast bullet. My mould is Lee's 358-125 grain flat nose # 90306. I have about 100 bullets ready to go made from wheel weights. I want a load that won't ruin too much meat. This way I can keep with one gun for everything when I have it with me taking a walk.
    Last edited by David LaPell; 11-24-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hey David- I'm assuming that you want the small game load to shoot to the same Point of Aim as the Big Game loads, correct? Are you shooting true 38-44 loads of 158 to 173 grain boolits at 1100 to 1200 fps? If so, than you may be able to get the 125's in the same group by shooting them real slow. The extra barrel time will let the revolver rise higher by the time the boolit exits the barrel. There are plenty of "cowboy" loads for the 125 grain boolits in the 38 Special.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

3.5 of Bullseye behind the Lee 125 rnfp is really accurate in my 686.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Might consider picking up a cheap holo sight for use only with your small game loads. There are some BSA's that are rated well for lighter use. Several I know have em on .22's etc. That way you don't have to mess with your sights, just clamp on the holo and go. Once you are zero'd with it on, you can unclamp it and it shouldn't take more than 1 shot or two to get back to correct poi.