Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making 50-95 WCF Brass?

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uberti1886.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	221428

Just wanted to share. Pic Title is wrong of course. This is an Uberti 1876!
    Last edited by Bridger; 06-01-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I had not heard that - But i hope you are right. Do you have a source for the military contract thing. Most of the reloading supply houses seem to indicate that Jamison will not be back ( as in no back orders ) Someone else could always bring it back.
    I am not 100% sure. We talked about it over at the CAS 1876 Forum, so it's Internet fact for what it's worth. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,60965.0.html

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    Sorry to revive such an old thread. Got some sample brass from Starline in both 50-90 and 50 Alaskan. So far I have found the 50 Alaskan easier to work with as the rim diameter does not have to be turned down. In either case I simply cut and trimmed the brass to length and ran it through the resizing die. 50-90 did not get past the loading gate until I reduced the rim diameter. 50 Alaskan gave me no trouble loading and cycling. In both cases though the lever took more force to fully close. Seems like the rim is a bit thicker than standard 50-95 brass. I noticed that the primer pocket in the 50 Alaskan is a bit deep. I am going to try and reduce the rim thickness to the point where the lever will close normally simply by sanding off brass directly from the bottom of the case head. If I can still seat a primer deep enough I think this will be a workable solution. On the positive side, the brass from Starline seems of very high quality. Will keep you posted on results.
    Ok...Took a file to the base of the rim. Enough so that the head stamp is no longer readable. Primer can still be seated properly and it now cycles normally with no extra pressure at the lever required to fully chamber the cartridge. So looks like I have a workable solution for 50-95 brass.

I need to thank Starline Brass for helping me with this solution with advice and some free samples of various brass to experiment with. I will soon be buying some 50 Alaskan from them in large quantity.

Boolit Master
    Ok...Took a file to the base of the rim. Enough so that the head stamp is no longer readable. Primer can still be seated properly and it now cycles normally with no extra pressure at the lever required to fully chamber the cartridge. So looks like I have a workable solution for 50-95 brass.

I need to thank Starline Brass for helping me with this solution with advice and some free samples of various brass to experiment with. I will soon be buying some 50 Alaskan from them in large quantity.
    Bridger - would you mind posting measurement (diameter) of both cases at the base ? I used 348 brass for my first lot and the base measurement is way under where its sposed to be - would like to get at least some cases that are neater fit to my chamber and maybe the 50/90 would work. My 348 cases are only .543 base diameter - should be .554 - chamber is .558.
    cheers
    Joe

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Bridger - would you mind posting measurement (diameter) of both cases at the base ? I used 348 brass for my first lot and the base measurement is way under where its sposed to be - would like to get at least some cases that are neater fit to my chamber and maybe the 50/90 would work. My 348 cases are only .543 base diameter - should be .554 - chamber is .558.
    cheers
    Joe
    Unfortunately I have already resized all of my 50 Alaskan cases but I do still have some new 50-90 from Starline and some new 50-95 so here goes:

New Jaminson 50-95:

Base diameter = .553
    Rim Diameter = .623
    Rim thickness = .057

Starline 50-90 (new):

Base diameter = .559 (before AND after resizing)
    Rim Diameter = .651 (could not get this through the loading gate until I turned it down)
    Rim thickness = .063

Starline 50 Alaskan (already resized with RCBS die)

Base diameter = .544
    Rim Diameter = .600
    Rim thickness = .067

So pick your poison. The 50-90 more closely matches the 50-95 in case diameter at the base and this does show in the finished case as the 50-90 comes out looking more bottle necked than the 50 Alaskan. The Alaskan does not however require reducing the diameter of the rim. As the depth of the primer pocket looks the same in the 50-90 I assume that I could also file down the base of the rim so that it will chamber easily in the rifle (like I have already done with the Alaskan).

If I figure out a consistent and easy way to turn down the rim diameter of the 50-90 I would probably be inclined to do that way but for now I will go with the Alaskan and just assume that fire forming will blow out the case diameter to proper spec. Probably will not get to the range for some tie but, when I do, I will report back.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Bridger; 06-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately I have already resized all of my 50 Alaskan cases but I do still have some new 50-90 from Starline and some new 50-95 so here goes:

New Jaminson 50-95:

Base diameter = .553
    Rim Diameter = .623
    Rim thickness = .057

Starline 50-90 (new):

Base diameter = .559 (before AND after resizing)
    Rim Diameter = .651 (could not get this through the loading gate until I turned it down)
    Rim thickness = .063

Starline 50 Alaskan (already resized with RCBS die)

Base diameter = .544
    Rim Diameter = .600
    Rim thickness = .067

So pick your poison. The 50-90 more closely matches the 50-95 in case diameter at the base and this does show in the finished case as the 50-90 comes out looking more bottle necked than the 50 Alaskan. The Alaskan does not however require reducing the diameter of the rim. As the depth of the primer pocket looks the same in the 50-90 I assume that I could also file down the base of the rim so that it will chamber easily in the rifle (like I have already done with the Alaskan).

If I figure out a consistent and easy way to turn down the rim diameter of the 50-90 I would probably be inclined to do that way but for now I will go with the Alaskan and just assume that fire forming will blow out the case diameter to proper spec. Probably will not get to the range for some tie but, when I do, I will report back.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you Sir - very much appreciated -
    Confirms my experience with the 348 - my winchester 348 cases measure identical to your Starline Alaskan at the base - The Jamison 50-95 is correct size to the case drawings I can find - your measure of the 50-90 sharps case would be just a beautiful fit in my Uberti chamber! the body of my fire formed cases are .559 before they slim back at the solid head to that .544 that is common base diameter for the 348 and alaskan.
    My rifle handles the thicker rim of the 348 cases without fuss and extraction is good - I have a good small lathe and straight shank collet chuck setup that would make turning rims diameter easy enough .............50-90 sharps for me next time.
    You have been most helpful and I appreciate it
    Thank you
    Joe

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50-95.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	221554

Just to illustrate my results so far. From Left to right: Jaminson Factory Loaded, One of my reloads using Jaminson brass, a reload using modified 50-90 brass, and on the far right is a reload using modified 50 Alaskan.

You can see that both loads from the modified brass appear less bottle necked than from 50-95 brass with the 50 Alaskan appearing almost straight walled. My hope is that these will fire form to spec with the first use. All cycle and eject cleanly through the rifle.

Will keep you posted.

Boolit Master

Bridger - What is the optimum C.O.A.L. for your rifle? I have one of the newer Uberti Presidio carbines and am just getting started loading for it. Your 2nd from the left looks like an LBT wide flat for the 500 Linebaugh. I have some of these sized to .512. What diameter are you sizing to?
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Mold
    Bridger - What is the optimum C.O.A.L. for your rifle? I have one of the newer Uberti Presidio carbines and am just getting started loading for it. Your 2nd from the left looks like an LBT wide flat for the 500 Linebaugh. I have some of these sized to .512. What diameter are you sizing to?
    That is an LBT sized to .512. I may decide not to use that one as it is around 440 grains which may be a bit on the heavy side for this rifle. I will start with the 350s and see how it goes from there. Still deciding on a powder. Either Trail Boss, Blackhorn 209, or just plain old black powder!

Right now I am using bullets sized from .510 to .512.

As far as C.O.L. I have as short as 2.260 to as long as 2.295. All cycle fine but just be careful as these rifles are sensitive to C.O.L. when it comes to cycling. Too long and it will extend past the cartridge elevator and jam. Too short and it may allow a second cartridge to start to enter the elevator and jam (I think it would have to be way to short for this to happen). I would definitely start low (in the 2.260 range) just to be safe. The Jaminson factory ammo is 2.261. Just make sure to try loading one cartridge first and, if that works, then load up two and make sure both cycle cleanly. Of course all safety procedures apply here. I usually create some dummy loads for this sort of testing (no powder or primer). They come in handy anyway when setting up or changing your dies.

Good luck and keep me posted on how she shoots!

Boolit Master

Bridger - Thanks so much for your reply. My LBT wide flats are 350 gr gas checked from Montana Bullet works. I was happy to find them at that weight. They have two LBT profiles in that weight range - one that has a little smaller meplat. Both are listed under the .500 Linebaugh bullets, and can be had in .510, .511, or .512 . Both of these LBT bullets have a touch different crimp to nose measurements - but i believe they are both gonna work in the 50-95. I sprung for some of the Barnes original 350 grain .510 diameter bullets. I hope that diameter doesn't turn out to be too small.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Mold
    Bridger - Thanks so much for your reply. My LBT wide flats are 350 gr gas checked from Montana Bullet works. I was happy to find them at that weight. They have two LBT profiles in that weight range - one that has a little smaller meplat. Both are listed under the .500 Linebaugh bullets, and can be had in .510, .511, or .512 . Both of these LBT bullets have a touch different crimp to nose measurements - but i believe they are both gonna work in the 50-95. I sprung for some of the Barnes original 350 grain .510 diameter bullets. I hope that diameter doesn't turn out to be too small.
    This is great info. Thanks. I have been looking for an LBT bullet with a large meplat in 350 grains. I will order some of these soon. Like you, I am not sure which diameter is going to work best. I wonder if anyone has done some experimenting with this and come to a conclusion. I am thinking of starting with .510 also (see my next post).

What powder are you looking to use?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Bridger; 06-05-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Mold
    There is an article by Brian Pearce in the July 2016 issue of Rifle magazine on the Uberti 1876. In this article he states the following:

"Cast bullets used in handloads and factory ammunition are sized .510 inch and .511 inch, respectively, all of which gave excellent accuracy."

He also states:

"The bore is .500 inch while the groove is .507/.508 inch."
    Last edited by Bridger; 06-06-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    The currently 50/95 Brass is not based on original Winchester spec. It is based on a 50/110 Brass which is not Correct. In original Winchester spec the case need a Rim size of appox .628. . this is the same problem as the Repro 45/75 . if you have Original which I have shows the Difference.
    since there is No current Base case on the market , These repro are based on this starline case
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12