Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making 50-95 WCF Brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Question Making 50-95 WCF Brass?

Greetings
    My son ordered a 50-95 1876 reproduction. I will get to see it next June. But for right now from what I see it may be practicle to make 50-95 brass from .348 Win. Brass . Any one tried this or have you used any other brass to make 50-95?
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Does Starline offer it?

Boolit Grand Master

Not that I saw. 50-100 is on the list but more pricey than .348 .
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    So far this 50-95 search has lead me through 3 case manufactures ($ OUCH) and several fellers posts here & there that ventured into making thier own. Looks like .348 Win brass works as does 50-90. 50 Alaskan was also transformed..
    Looking at brass charts I see 43 Spanish is also a contender.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Master
    Chaparral makes/made brass for the 50/95 (see http://www.marstar.ca/ammo-etc/new-brass.shtm ) Don't know if they still do though. See http://www.chaparralarms.com/prodott...ccessories.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning KirkD
    All the pre-formed brass fall into that zone of "Ouch". Been forming obsolite brass for many years so I am headed that way. Have dies so I cannot bare the thought of $3 (or more) per piece of brass.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Grand Master
    Mike,

As long as the .348 case is long enough, that is what I would use; You can stil find bags of new WW brass (I think it is seasonal availability).

Check the rim thickness, the .43 Spanish that I bought from BACO several years ago was formed from .348 and the rim was upset to make it about .030" thicker, going from memory.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Mk42
    Looks like .348 brass is 2.225 in length & the 50.95 needs about 1.930 so that works out well. Available & does not need a loan to buy also. Loooks like the better way to go with this little project.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Bub
    Buffalo Bore Co. had some 50-95 brass the last time I inquired about that caliber myself. It seems the price was good also, save a lot of time fooling around with another brass caliber.
    "GOD Bless America & Our Troops"

Boolit Master

After going down the penny wise pound foolish road a few times myself in trying to reform various brass from it's intended purpose I decided the best is to just buy it already made to the correct specs.

Look at the three critical specs on any candidate first. Those are the rim diameter, rim thickness and base diameter. Secondary considerations would include total length and wall thickness at the neck. If any of those (especially the big three) are too far out of kilter then the final product will never be right. Comparing 348 to 50-95, I see at least two of the three out of sync- the rim diameter and the base diameter. Can it be done- sure. Is it worth it- not to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Hello up north there.
    Been looking at the Buffalo Bore site and the brass there is $1.57 each if bought in groups of 50.. That is half the price of everyone else and makes it much more attractive.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Mold
    Sorry to revive such an old thread. Got some sample brass from Starline in both 50-90 and 50 Alaskan. So far I have found the 50 Alaskan easier to work with as the rim diameter does not have to be turned down. In either case I simply cut and trimmed the brass to length and ran it through the resizing die. 50-90 did not get past the loading gate until I reduced the rim diameter. 50 Alaskan gave me no trouble loading and cycling. In both cases though the lever took more force to fully close. Seems like the rim is a bit thicker than standard 50-95 brass. I noticed that the primer pocket in the 50 Alaskan is a bit deep. I am going to try and reduce the rim thickness to the point where the lever will close normally simply by sanding off brass directly from the bottom of the case head. If I can still seat a primer deep enough I think this will be a workable solution. On the positive side, the brass from Starline seems of very high quality. Will keep you posted on results.

Boolit Master
    Winchester made .348 by necking down .50-90 brass. so just go in the other direction.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    Winchester made .348 by necking down .50-90 brass. so just go in the other direction.
    Grafs, Midway and Brownells all listing 50 Alaskan available @ $1.15 - $1.20 per -- I cant find 348 in stock anyplace - the process would be easier with the 50 Ak - might be time for an order I think - all this will only get harder for us Aussies.

Man, I WANT an Uberti 1876 Centennial in .50-95! But I find it hard to understand why such a fine rifle is offered in such an obscure caliber.

Boolit Master

It's a shame that Jamison went belly up. They were doing brass for all the 1876 chamberings. I was able to lay in a fair supply of brass just as they were shutting off. Hope to never run out
    Being human is not for sissies.

Have they shut down? I was under the impression they were just doing military contracts for now. No?

Boolit Master

I had not heard that - But i hope you are right. Do you have a source for the military contract thing. Most of the reloading supply houses seem to indicate that Jamison will not be back ( as in no back orders ) Someone else could always bring it back.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Mold
    If 50-90 was made by necking up 348 than for sure I would not want to go with 348 brass either as I would still need to reduce the rim diameter which is a pain. The 50 Alaskan's rim diameter is actually slightly smaller than 50-95 but seems to cycle just fine. As far as Jamison goes I have heard that they have a sizable stock of 50-95 brass but are currently tied up in some sort of litigation. Depending on the outcome they may be able to release that brass sometime this summer so stay tuned. Please don't quote me on this but I think the source was pretty reliable and I got this info only a few weeks back.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Man, I WANT an Uberti 1876 Centennial in .50-95! But I find it hard to understand why such a fine rifle is offered in such an obscure caliber.
    I guess because of the inherent weakness of the toggle link design. You could always go with their 1873 model. No trouble at all finding brass and loaded ammunition for that one. I noticed that they offer this model in 44 mag. Not sure that I would want to go that route with a toggle link design though. Seems to me that either the 44 WCF or 45 Colt is more in keeping with the spirit of this rifle.

If you want a rifle cartridge take a look at their 1886:

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1886-sporting-rifle

This one is a 45-70 so no issues with ammo. A bit on the expensive side though. I have seen some Winchester 1886 rifles available (the new ones) for less money so that is the way I would go if I was getting an 1886 I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast