Graf & SonsTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
StainLess Steel Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article

Boolit Mold
    Cheers res45
    please keep us posted, I did get data from Hodgson using pistol powders ap50n & ap70n on 3 different cast projectiles one of which was our 185gn projectile

Question Which bullet mold for M1 Garand?

Hello all,
    I was able to finally get an M1 Garand in my collection. I am wanting to reload cast "boolits" for this particular rifle. I've reloaded for other 30-06 rifles (bolt action and pump action). I have a question about which mold to get. I am looking at the NOE molds 311332, 311365, 311299 or the 312299. Can anyone give me a recommendation for one or another? Would I have feeding issues with round nose cast "boolits (the 311299/312299) versus the spire points (311332/311365)? I planned on using either IMR4898 or H4898 starting at 30 grains and working up. Whatever advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Well I tryed 2400 started at 16grns and went to 17grns accuracy was 2" at 100yrds recoil like getting kicked by a mule ,I'm 78 and have no rotator cuff left, come pair to 23.6grns of 4198 1" at 100 with half the recoil guess what I'm going to stick with bullet Lee 185 312 in Argentine Mauser 21 and a 1/2" barrel Lyman 48 rear Lyman globe front sported stock did try 10grns of trail boss recoil like a rabbit fart went to 11.6 grns but groups are 2 to 3" but very pleasent to shoot.

I made a bad mistake,instead of 16grns of 2400 I used 26 missed 10 on my scale some how,and went to 27 the recoil was terrible for an old man,that was with a Lee 185 312 ,I quess the mind is the first to go.

Awesome info!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 100yrdopenchamp View Post
    I made a bad mistake,instead of 16grns of 2400 I used 26 missed 10 on my scale some how,and went to 27 the recoil was terrible for an old man,that was with a Lee 185 312 ,I quess the mind is the first to go.
    A statement I've heard at the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club, where Ed used to belong, which is often attributed to him, but I understand from talking to Ed, originated with the late Frank Marshall, Jr.

"The perfect cast bullet load for a military bolt rifle is one which is accurate, consistent and clean shooting, in which an inadvertent double-charge will not blow up the rifle. At worst it may blow the primer and thoroughly lead the barrel. In cleaning up after our mistake we may repent, and contemplate our sin. Now young man as penance say ten "My Rifle's," go forth and sin no more!"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I thumbed through this thread and have an unanswered question, or maybe I didn't see it. I recently picked up a Lee C312-155 mold and cast and sized around 40 or so. I would like to use these in a mosin but none of my books have a load for this projectile. the lee book, the newest lyman etc etc. none of them for the 7.62x54r. I did find a picture of a data card for a lee loader but I'm not sure if it applies to a cast bullet. where can I find some reliable info for cast boolits?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by danthman114 View Post
    ... I recently picked up a Lee C312-155 mold and cast and sized around 40 or so. I would like to use these in a mosin but none of my books have a load for this projectile...for the 7.62x54r. I did find a picture of a data card for a lee loader but I'm not sure if it applies to a cast bullet. where can I find some reliable info for cast boolits?
    Size the bullets .314 and try 15-16 grains of Alliant #2400, or 18-20 grains of H- or IMR4227, or 20-22 grains of H- or IMR4198, or 21-26 grains of RL7.

Without the GC you can have a nice plinker or small game load using 6-7 grains of either Bullseye, TiteGroup, Red Dot, 700-X or 231.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

unless im missing something, how can I size .312 to .314? i slugged my barrel with 00 buck and it ranged from .313 to .311. i sized to .311 with gas check and tumble lubed...
    thanks for the info but where did you get it from? i read somewhere online that you cant use jacketed load data for cast projectiles. is this correct?

unless im missing something, how can I size .312 to .314? i slugged my barrel with 00 buck and it ranged from .313 to .311. i sized to .311 with gas check and tumble lubed...
    thanks for the info but where did you get it from? i read somewhere online that you cant use jacketed load data for cast projectiles. is this correct?
    If bullet drops from mold .312 you can put GC on in a .314 die without sizing the bullet and it should seal the throat better than at smaller diameter. Most of the Russian and Chinese 7.62x54Rs run large, some as large as .316". The Finnish rifles are tighter and work fine with a .311 bullet. You want the bullet to fit the unrifled portion of the chamber ahead of the case neck before the rifling starts, NOT to the groove diameter of the barrel. Read the sticky on bullet size!

Correct charge with a cast GC bullet using common extruded tubular rifle powders is about 70-75% of the jacketed charge.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

ok thanks. ill check again when I get home. now is that 70-75% for all weights of jacketed bullets and for any powder listed in the data? a rule of thumb basically. I'm going to get out the books again and re read some stuff. maybe I missed something...

ok thanks. ill check again when I get home. now is that 70-75% for all weights of jacketed bullets and for any powder listed in the data? a rule of thumb basically. I'm going to get out the books again and re read some stuff. maybe I missed something...
    An approximation for how far most common extruded rifle powders can be safely reduced without getting into trouble or needing a different powder just for reduced loads. With 4895 you can reduce down to 60% according to Hodgdon:

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...ifle-loads.pdf
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456