Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Small primer 45 acp vs large primer

Boolit Buddy

Small primer 45 acp vs large primer

Anybody found a difference in how these shoot? Had heard the small primer one's were made because of indoor ranges but that doesn't seem likely. Whatever the reason, do they shoot the same?

I loaded a few with my favorite bullseye load and they shot exactly the same.

Boolit Master

Just put in the correct primer and shoot em up.

Boolit Master

There is the obvious difference when loading on a progressive press. Other than that the win nt brass has been kind to me. I have only shot the win nt (non toxic) no other small primer 45 acp.

Boolit Master
    I just ran into my first 45 with small primers. I had a hell of a time fitting the large primers in, but I did. It made one hell of a mess. i figured out what was wrong and went ....Oh yea I read about these.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    I just ran into my first 45 with small primers. I had a hell of a time fitting the large primers in, but I did. It made one hell of a mess. i figured out what was wrong and went ....Oh yea I read about these.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Quigley View Post
    Anybody found a difference in how these shoot? Had heard the small primer one's were made because of indoor ranges but that doesn't seem likely. Whatever the reason, do they shoot the same?
    Indoor ranges------ Less priming compound, less lead particulate (lead stypnate) Other than that, it seems that they shoot pretty much the same (you might want to segregate if you load on a progressive as mentioned above, and KEEP them segregated if you're shooting something like bullseye matches......)

Dan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Quigley View Post

"If all else fails, use a bigger hammer".......

Dan

I use only small primer brass in my 625 for IPSC competition. It lets me use Federal 100 primers which in turn lets me tune the trigger a bit lighter than with large primers.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found only a few small pistol ones. They get used for dummy rounds to check cycling and OAL with different bullets. If I don't need them for that they go in the recycling bin with the old brass.

Boolit Bub
    I've come across them in Federal ammo from Wally World...saving them up, might make a run of them.

Boolit Master
    I have been finding a lot of them lately and have been segregating them. I have loaded a couple of boxes of them and find that they shoot about the same as large primers so I will use them when I have several boxes of ammo worth to make it worthwhile loading them.