Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: .500 bullet from 45 ACP

Boolit Master

.500 bullet from 45 ACP

Nope, not an "A". I own two supremes and they are great reloading presses. They are stout and strong. I've never disputed that they are not good reloading presses. They might even be fine for swaging 224's out of 22LR.

Let's take my bias towards buying the right tool for the job out of the equation. I know of no one here that uses a reloading press for swaging on a regular basis, WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS. Fact is, if these presses, no matter the brand, were fine to swage bullets, they wouldn't have been modified.

There are a number of members here that started with reloading presses found they were not up to par, made mods, got better results, and still ended getting a dedicated swaging press. I try to save the "new" guy some heartache and frustration with standard presses. Buy once, cry once. This hobby isn't cheap. Why skimp on the single most important tool?

I'm thankful those that helped me get started, pointed me in the right direction. I try to pay it forward and help others. I've swaged with both presses, and there is no comparison.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I've used an A press, and I can tell you they're a lot more rugged than a Rock Chucker.

Frosted Boolits

Lizard, I agree with your logic. IF you are going to know you will like bullet swaging, then go ahead and buy a swage press. BUT, not everyone is sure if it is going to be for them. On the outside, swaging can be decieving. What the beginners sometimes fail to understand is the amount of time involved in making their own jacketed bullets...especially from rimfire jackets.

So my point is that for starting out to see if you like it, a RC, Lee CC, or A series press will do absolutely fine. If a beginner finds they don't like swaging, then they just have to sell their dies to the next beginner that wants to give it a shot..and probably get exactly what they paid for them.

When I got into boolit casting, if I was 100% sure I would have liked it, I would have bought custom group buy molds, an RCBS ProMelt, and a Star lubrisizer. I started off tumble lubing with Lee snot and lee molds to see if it was for me.

Same goes for reloading equipment. I started out with a cheapy Lee single stage. Now I am what you could call a press addict. But at least I admit it!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

I heard that. I went with an RCECO Walnut Hill and complete kit to make 224 from 22LR. Two things about a real swage press: Bronze bushings and much shorter stroke length. This press has two modes. 2" stroke for swaging and 4" stroke for reloading. In swaging mode (where I keep mine), there's mechanical advantage out the butt. So rather than slipping a length of pipe over a reloading press handle, and popping a blood vessel, I can sit and leisurely watch some 'tube. Another thing about swaging is that you'll throw the handle through a lot longer range of motion. I have an RCBS Ammomaster with 50BMG kit, a Lee Classic Cast and six single-stage Lee's set up for common reloading tasks. They all have their purpose. Just like trying to swage with a Lee C-press would be wack, using the swage press to reload, while possible, would be overkill.

This truly is not for the financially faint of heart

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Buy once, cry once. This hobby isn't cheap. Why skimp on the single most important tool?

Boolit Mold
    BT has any one sent these down the pipe of a .50 Beowulf yet? I'd be happy to be the tester

In Remembrance

This thread needs to be a sticky!

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Fetzner,
    I've got a set on order and thats my plan.

In Remembrance

I had given a few to a fellow in Maine before I moved, and he loaded them into a 50 Beowolf. The bullet size and weight is perfect for that chambering. Got good reports back. Keep in mind that these are Hollow Points, very closely resembling Hornady XTP. As long as you are OK with that bullet type, they will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzner808 View Post
    BT has any one sent these down the pipe of a .50 Beowulf yet? I'd be happy to be the tester

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    hey Duke,
    Did he happen to give you any loading data on that?

In Remembrance

No, but I developed my own data based on the Hornady book. The swaged bullets I make are the same size, weight, and style as the Hornady XTP bullets. That data works perfectly for my gun.

Proceed with caution, your mileage may vary. Start at starting loads, and work up if you feel the need to. I load thousands of rounds with Trailboss, and almost as many with LilGun. I won't give you load data, since there's too much opportunity to make transcription mistakes.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    understood, Duke. That's how I will proceed. Thanks for the heads up!

Boolit Buddy
    P.S. I doubt highly that you are south of me

In Remembrance

Yup... you got me beat..... I'd have to wager that we are south of 99% of the participants of this forum.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Roger that, Duke!

Boolit Mold
    anyone know where to get a set of the dies to swage .500 bullets?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer_85_golf View Post
    anyone know where to get a set of the dies to swage .500 bullets?
    Try this link.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...current-prices
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Just found this thread.Great write ups and pictures.
    Boolits look outstanding.Thank to all for this thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    I too have Corbin dies for the 45ACP. I've made 45's out of .40 Smith brass but haven't had a lot of luck with accuracy. I think BT's dies must have different internal dimensions, at least with the core seater that accounts for spring back in the brass, but am not sure. Otherwise, they look good, and I haven't tried everything yet, like reducing them to .451. Just need the time!

Vendor Sponsor

Perfected rolling over the tip of the jacket on a lighter 335 grain bullet vs. the traditional 350 grain .500 cal bullet made from 45 ACP brass.

Use a 240 grain 44 cal cast boolit (335 grain .500 bullet when formed) instead of a 255 grain 45 cal cast boolit (350 grain formed bullet).

Check it out.

BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Those are great looking bullets Brian. How much does the last bullet on the right in the first pic weigh?

Looking at the progression of the bullets as you have them pictured, a thought occurred to me. A person could use your die set and notch die with an inverted gas check inside the jacket to make a "magsafe" type bullet filled with lead shot. This would make a great personal defense round for the 500 S&W that could be used without fear of over-penetration in home defense. I will have to experiment around and do some testing on multiple layers of sheetrock with a round like that. You could also use the notch die and 2 gas checks in the actual 500 S&W case to make a shot load round for snakes and other pests. Since the notch die set is universal, you could do the same with other large bore pistol calibers, or any straight walled case for that matter. There is just no end to the great custom rounds you can make with this great set-up Brian. Thanks for bringing these great tools to market.

Having just received my die set and other tools from you, I have to say again that the immaculate craftsmanship and pride that goes into your work is obvious in the appearance of your product, not to mention the precision of the products these tools produce. It almost makes we want to store them in a display case when I am not using them.

Roll Tide

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast