RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 Long Colt Woes

Another skeptic here. I've heard this statement before. I've also heard the same thing about 45ACP.

Here's what SAAMI says about the 45 Colt.........

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC.../45%20Colt.pdf

And the 45ACP, just because I was curious........

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...0Automatic.pdf

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

I don't know about the comment that 45 LC brass is strong as 44 mag brass. In my RBH I use RP brass and load it up heavy with WC820 that it bulges the brass at the bottom just above the rim after fireing. The load Is 15 gr wc820 with a 252 gr LRNF. Very hot but accurate. I use this load on white tales and works very good out to about 70 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used 18-18.5 gr. of WC820 (slow batch), 285 gr. boolit in my Win. 94 with up to 6 reloadings. My steel size die leaves the base at .480-.481" and so does not overwork the Starline brass. Approx. 1450 fps. with the 16" barrel. Fired but unsized brass is .482-.483".
    Jeff

Excellent answers indeed! I have learnd some new ways here!
    Ole' Dixie closed shop in November and have spent quite a bit of time on our Florida coastal islands hunting hogs.
    Our main thing was to test Ruger Old Army and Uberti 1858 revolvers and carbine.....with Kirst Conversion cylinder in the Ruger and R&D conversion cylinders in the 1858 revolver and carbine. Both in 45 Long Colt. We were using the Laser Cast .452"/200 gr. bullet.
    It killed well, but my next project will be to design a mold with our Extreme Meplat that weighs at 200/230 grs.
    I am very impressed with the Uberti revolver and carbine! Both are finished & fitted very tight. Both have a higher front sights (3/8" width)) and we had no trouble sighting in.
    An excellent load in the Kirst & R&D is Ken Waters listed load at under 12,000psi....10.0/10.5 grs of Herco and the 200 gr .452" bullet.
    As we work toward a cast bullet with a very big meplat and around 200 grs.....I will post the results.
    By the way.....both the Kirst and R&D (as per the makers) can be used with standard factory 45 Long Colt......James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Banned

SHEESH,

I just lost a once fired new Starline 454 casull case in my LEE depriming die. The case severed about 3/8" up from the case head when I was pulling out and left the rest of the case stuck in the die ...

Banned

Well since a 1/2 jacket stuck in my 454 Casull die, I moved over to 45LC.

I loaded 20gr of IMR 4227 behind a 305gr Keith (group buy square groove recreation) AC WW speed green lube, Checkmaker™ 45PB Pistol caliber- beer can plain base gas check, sized to .454. CCI 300 primer crimped in the crimp groove with an OAL of 1.705 inches.

LEE standard carbide dies, no factory crimp. Flared the mouth and charged through the charge die. Crimped with the boolit seated die. Standard LEE crimp which ever it is... roll?

The Starline brass average roundness loaded measured .4765 at the base .4745 at the mouth, and fired case measures .477 at the base .477 at the mouth. The cases fired were not smoked out, but lightly frosted in color. Not to bad. Not perfectly clean.

The first six shots I popped dog food cans off hand (2 hands) at 35 yards with no problems. Missed one out of six. Next, set up a target at 35yds, off hand with target shown. Out of six- 4 holes hit black at bout' 2.560" x 2.112" center to center. One shot hit the lower stapled corner. One shot didn't make the target. 2 showed touching.

I'm pretty happy with that since I'm way out of practice handgun shooting. No leading what so ever and it's hard to see but I recovered one boolit folded in the bottom of the dog food can. The beer can PB gas check was still on the boolit.

I say this is promising results out of 12 rounds total loaded.

Last edited by PatMarlin; 11-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    That should get their attention.

Ben

I learned something from this thread. I did not realise there is a taper. I neck size already so I doubt my technique will change. I am going to do a complete remeasuring of cases, chambers etc. If anything drastic shows up I will compensate.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

If you want to go really crazy and start biting at the carpet, start measuring brass after sizing for out of round!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned

Cat- what is the number of that boolit in my pick above? It's your group buy about 305grs.

Boolit Master

Found this old thread that is just too full of info to fade into obscurity. And now there's another .45 Colt mold I need...
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Banned

My favorite. Cherish that mold. Awesome boolit.

Install a PB check on it and go where Keith only dreamed of... lol