Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damp powder residue

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    ...ill try the mix for lube excess...i just wondered if anybody knew why the bp makers seem to miss the boat with this...the Mathews book is only the last book i have read that proclaimed this seemingly lost art of making bp.thanks all
    The bp makers didn't miss the boat. There's alot of nonsense floating about on how good the powders were. I've shot powder from the 1800's and it wasn't nothing special.
    In the 70's we were constantly bombarded with how great Curtis and Harvey was and Goex was bad..... My guns said the folks the put that stuff out didn't quite know siccum from scat. Much like the often same ol regurgitated stuff about Swiss we hear nowdays...

Keep working on your lube, a lube will make or break accuracy and contributes greatly to fouling. Powderburner is spot on with his comments in this thread.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Beekeeper
    Thank you all for kinda letting me hijack the thread to ask my questions.
    Have paper patched for smokeless and am now taking the big leap to black powder.
    Will give both ideas a try and see which one works best for me.

Again thank you.

beekeeper

Facets!

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    If that was an invitation to comment, I'll say this ...
    If you can get enough powder in the case to shoot grease grooved bullets, you can get the same amount in there under a patched-to-groove bullet.
    And .. some powders burn more cleanly when compressed.

Having watched Rick's videos of him shooting patched-to-bore ammo, it is apparent that he wipes between shots ... two wet and one dry. I also wipe with two wet and one dry when shooting patched-to-groove ammo. There is no fouling to consider after the bore has been wiped.
    The difference may come in if it's true that wiping is a 'must' with groove and an 'option' with bore.

I haven't said anything which says Rick is wrong in any way, but there are other facets to the thinking than those he mentioned.

If you feel like a trip through 'my thinking' on patched-to-groove bullets, I offer this link to my exploration into that.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=42529

CM
    Charlie

"I haven't said anything which says Rick is wrong in any way, but there are other facets to the thinking than those he mentioned."

AGREED! However...I think the 'facets' are very limited as to what can be done and what cannot and that's taking into consideration the peculiarities from rifle to rifle! One can alter the diameter of the bullet utilized, the thickness of the paper, the alloy used, seating depth, powder charge, compressed heavily or lightly, wads, so forth but in the final analysis I don't think BPCR shooting is much different from shooting smokeless in that there will be one load combination that will always work best over anything else tried.
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere on one of these BPCR boards, that someone had finally won a major match using paper patched bullets. Is this true?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Huydraulic I think most of the top finishers at the Lodi creedmoor were shooting patched.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

MC

Wiping!

"Having watched Rick's videos of him shooting patched-to-bore ammo, it is apparent that he wipes between shots ... two wet and one dry."

I've discovered lately that FOR ME.....one wet and one dry is just as accurate!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Fo course, whether or not you shoot that 43 M 71/84 as a repeater sure has a part in the equation.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, apparently British practice was to use groove-dia. PP bullets. And don't forget that by the late 1800's, most European countries were shooting some kind of PP bullet in their military rifles - no wiping, no blowtubing, just shooting. The US was one of the exceptions of the time, shooting a GG bullet. Even the Mauser 71/84 shot PP bullets, repeater and all... I'm pretty sure that the Mauser 74 used a bore-dia. PP bullet - the chamber won't allow anything else. But the 71/84 chamber config is different, and will allow the use of groove-dia. bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12