Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 160gr 44 Special Load?

160gr 44 Special Load?

Hello everyone, new guy here, trying to find a load that is easy on my hands and the old Bulldog 3" 44 special strictly for the range.

Found some 160gr FP bullets from Hunters Supply and I have some Bullseye on hand. I'm thinking of starting out with 3.0gr of Bullseye and going from there. Anybody use this combination? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't help with the light load in handgun but if you are looking for a lightweight boolit mould, you might try the Accurate Molds 43-165B:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-165B-D.png

I got Tom to "shrink" a .45 cal version to 0.434" for me for use in my Marlin.

I really like the mould and the boolit performs very well so far. I don't mind giving Tom and Accurate a plug any time I can, the mould is beautiful and Tom's service is excellent.

As light as I have loaded for the Marlin is 10 grs. of Unique. Haven't used Bullseye or a load that light.

I am sure someone will be able to help with a load though.

Oh, and welcome to Cast Boolits.

Longbow

PS: just to be clear, I am loading .44 mag for the Marlin, not sure of loads for .44 special ~ just thought the boolit might suit you.
    Last edited by longbow; 11-22-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added comment

I've never used bullseye in the .44 special, but i'd be scared with that little bit of powder in that big case would be asking for a double charge. I have used 231 and it leaves a lot of space. Seems like trail boss would be the better place to start to me or 4-5 grains of unique

Boolit Master

in a 44 mag case and a cast 200 gr tc bullet ive had great sucess with 5.5 gr of BE or Tightgroup @ 800 fps im sure you could reduce it a grain or so in the 44 special case and have excellent accuracy with your the lighter bullet .

Boolit Grand Master
    This is the best I could come up with. This is from Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide To Handloading", 1953.

Boolit Master
    With that lite of a load double charging will not be a probem. It might give you a little surprise when it goes bang. Just check Jims chart. I think you will have a lot of smoked cases as that lite of a load may not seal the chamber. I know in my Rossi 45 colt lever gun using 6 grains of bullseye behind a 230 cast boolit causes my cases to be smoked.

Boolit Grand Master

Yow! I thought my 165 gr. was a light .44 boolit but here are 145 gr. Those are almost as light as the collar button.

They would certainly be easy on lead and light recoil.

Good info, thanks for posting Jim.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    This might be a good place for Clays.