Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: NOE 311465 122Gr. RN ( Loverin )

Boolit Master
    Thank you, sir. I'm looking forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    Just finishing up

Run the HP pins and should start to ship this weekend
    This has been a fun little bullet to run and it should be just as fun to shoot.

Swede Nelson

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    Just finishing up

Run the HP pins and should start to ship this weekend

This has been a fun little bullet to run and it should be just as fun to shoot.

Swede Nelson

Phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr!

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Rifle should have arrived at the dealers yesterday. I am STOKED!!

Boolit Master

Mine arrived in the morning mail - A thing of beauty - As per usual. I won' have a chance to cast for a couple of weeks. Too hot here anyway. Pickles have taken precedence over boolits in this household at the moment. I don't have a camera - but if someone else does - it would be nice to see some photos, especially of the flat nose version.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    It came in today !!!! Thank you Al. The mold is smooth and a work of art.

Boolit Master
    Mine arived today! Another fine mold Al.
    Peas and getting the foodplot ready are taking my time. Beans, New R. Tates should be ready in a couple of days. Kevin

Boolit Master
    Mine came in today as well.

Thanks again.

Mine came today also. Thanks, Al!

I bought mine off NOE's websight today!!!!!

Muwahahahahahaha!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I got mine today, ran it through three heat cycles this evening, and cast up about 250 beautiful boolits. I can't figure out how to attach a pic from my iPhone unfortunately. Anyway, they dropped easily with a tap on the handle bolt. It looks like maybe 5-10% rejects mainly due to rounded bases and the occasional unfilled groove. I think that percentage will improve but there is just a lot going on with this design. Maybe I should have upped the temp but I was running it at 750 on my PID and preheating the mould sprue plate down on a hot plate on high. I have high hopes for this one.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Maybe I should have upped the temp but I was running it at 750 on my PID and preheating the mould sprue plate down on a hot plate on high.
    You can pick up a thermometer for your mould to see what the actual temperature of the mould is before you start casting. I'm using a Coverite "Pocket Thermometer", but since that only shows the surface temp, arguably the better route would be a traditional casting thermometer placed in one of the cavities or pick up one of NOE's temperature probes and drill your mould to accept it.

All that said, based on some of the reading I've done here, I've tried using a lower temperature pot (PIDed in the ~715F to 750F range) during my most recent casting sessions (which were during the autumn or winter, to be honest, so I don't recall the exact numbers), and I found I had a far better cull rate with the pot at hotter temps, ~800F iirc. This was with a proper temped pre-heated mould. That was with Miha's 9mmHP mould, but perhaps this loverin mould needs the same route.

/sorry for the thread hijack.

Boolit Master

I do have NOE's temperature probe and I think I had this one drilled for it. Thanks for reminding me!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I can not wait to get this one.

I had no idea it would turn into a successful group buy when I sent the cast bullets to Swede. I appreciate and thank all who supported this group buy.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Always thought this would be a good one. Looking forward to trying the flat nose variant in 30 carbine and 32-20
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Mine arrived a few days ago in Albuquerque.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Mine arrived late last week, and I ordered the flat point to try in my .32/20 & .30 Herrett Contender bbls. I want to compare it to the Lee "soup can" to see how it does. I'm still looking at powder choices right now. I now have 4 new NOE molds and a MiHec mold arriving to cast and load for in several different guns, so I'm getting behind and have the Springfield & Garand matches coming up at Camp Perry soon so it might take me a while to break this one in. I think I've been kind of like a kid in a candy store since coming on the forum and getting in on all the great group buys, so I've been buying while working overtime to pay for them so I can cast when things slow down.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master

Thanks Al, great job.
    Jeff Michel

I'm keen to see or hear about the results from the lucky owners of this one.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast some last weekend with this mould. They ran a little heavier with 1:20 than I expected. The HP's ran 128gr while the RN ran 131gr sized and lubed. I'm not sure where this will fall out with the 32-20, but will report later on testing. I found the mould a little finicky to start, but after a cool down and reheat of the mould, things started to work better. I probably ran 80-100 bullets as fast as I could hand pour on the first run at 730° with about a 5% save. After I cooled and reheated I got closer to 60% return on the bullets. This is my first aluminum mould, so there is a big learning curve here. I ran primarily two cavities for the first run, and left the third cavity empty. By the second run I was running three cavities, but the third one that was less used was still casting culls. I figure with a few more sessions it ought to run in pretty well when seasoned. I did the scrubbing with a toothbrush and soap right off the bat BTW. Setting the HP for me was a chore. It seemed to scallop when too deep, but cast heavy when too shallow. Got to get the hang of that. I attribute it to lack of heat in the mould. But I'm short a hot plate, so that may be an issue. More on test results later.

Ed

Boolit Master

I just picked my mollds up this morning! Thanks to ALL who put this together!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011