Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for 41 Rem Mag die set?

Question Recommendations for 41 Rem Mag die set?

Running with scissors on the internet, looking for the best price/performance set of sizing/expanding/seating dies for the 41 Rem mag. This is for a single stage press, so I don't need a powder through die.

Perfer Titanium Carbide sizer.

OOH, I do like the trashy Lee seaters, because you unscrew the stem and you can pull the seating plug out if you stick the boolit in the die...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master

i use RCBS for my 41 and plan to switch out all of my lee dies that i have to RCBS and Redding i'm not bashing lee there are just better dies out there
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I use RCBS for my 41mag and have been very happy with them.

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    I have always preferred Lyman dies, but I like Hornady dies because of the friction held de-capper rod, less chance of pin breakage.

If you can't find a .41M die set let me know, I may be able to be talked out the Lyman set I have, don't need it currently.

Ebay is usually a good source.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-shooter777 View Post
    Hornady dies because of the friction held de-capper rod
    If you refer to the ZIP-spindle, the older smooth spindle was replaced with the annular ringed version which does not slip under pressure. I like the one with the annular rings, because some times the smooth spindle slipped... Just my experience.

Hornady sells a retrofit to take a smooth spindle to the ringed spindle.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I'm using a hornady set. I like hornady dies but be prepared to hone out the seating sleeve a thou or two for cast. I didn't need to do so for my .41 dies but did for my .44 mag. YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

I use RCBS sizer die and lyman expander and RCBS seater and a lee for roll crimp.

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    If you refer to the ZIP-spindle, the older smooth spindle was replaced with the annular ringed version which does not slip under pressure. I like the one with the annular rings, because some times the smooth spindle slipped... Just my experience.

Hornady sells a retrofit to take a smooth spindle to the ringed spindle.

Now I am going to go and look at what I have, didn't know there was a upgrage/retrofit ?

I see what you mean about the zip spindle, mine's the old style, never had a problem.
    Whatever works for the user.

I see they now make a less expensive / inappropriately named "American Series" with a nut de-cap rod.
    Last edited by CT-shooter777; 03-15-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-shooter777 View Post
    Now I am going to go and look at what I have, didn't know there was a upgrage/retrofit ?
    I bought a 6mm Rem New Dimension die set a few years ago (retail) and it had the smooth spindle. Did not like the smooth spindle.

Attachment 134074

Rifle
    http://www.hornady.com/store/Zip-Spindle-Kit-1-Each/
    Straight wall / pistol
    http://www.hornady.com/store/Zip-Spi...Pistol-1-Each/
    17-20 cal
    http://www.hornady.com/store/Zip-Spi...20-Cal-1-Each/
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Grand Master

Its hard to go wrong with RCBS carb​ide dies. I've been happy with Dillon, too!

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have been using an RCBS carbide die set to reload .41Mag for years and years. Thousands and thousands of rounds loaded, both cast and jacketed.

Works great. I spray the die bodies out with GunScrubber every now and then and wipe the inside with a Q-Tip to clean up any gunk and grime.

I fully expect them to be reloading quality ammunition for my son many years after I am dead and gone.

Boolit Master

My .41 magnum dies are Lyman Carbide dies bought in the late 60's and they load great, especially with lead bullets. I most likely would not buy Lyman these days but that is another story(lack of support from them). My dies have the old expander which worked so well with the lead bullets. Most expander dies that I have checked do not expand the case far enough down or expand too small for lead bullets. The last expander die I checked was for a .38 special die and it only opened the case wall to .356, too small for .358 lead bullets. I sold it to a 9mm addict. For jacketed bullets, I would probably go with Redding, RCBS, or C-H if I were to buy now. I had an extra set of .41 mag. Lyman dies, and not being of sound mind, I sold them. Just my .02 and experience, james

Boolit Master
    Mine are an old Pacific brand (which later became Hornady) they work fine.

You really can't go wrong even with Lee. Like many things it's often the mechanic not the particular brand of tools that make the difference.

Motor

Boolit Master
    It seems all the current die manufacturers make dies that will work well when set up properly. In hunting for an inexpensive 41 mag die set I got lucky on ebay with a now discontinued lyman 4 die carbide set in black box for less than a lee die set. I am thouroughly impressed. i can set them up on turret press and run lyman 55 on top of the powder thru expander or use the powder thru expander on another caliber with parts from the lyman multi caliber expander i got a few years ago if i set dies up on progressive . The lyman expander seems to be more like an M die than the radical angle of the Lee multi caliber expander. I don't have any 41 j bullets so not sure how well they will seat super soft point bullets. I know that I had problem finding a seating die that would not distort some super soft point 44 hp's

Boolit Master
    I use Dillon dies and a CH4D taper crimp die.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Mold
    I use Redding steel dies. I use their Profile Crimp die with the set also. Profile Crimp die is money well spent. I really recommend it for magnum cartridges.

Boolit Master
    My pref. is Redding dies esp. carbide, followed by Forster, RCBS, CH4D, Lyman, Hornady.

Boolit Master

The Redding profile crimp die did not work for me. Great concept but not for oversize cast boolits. 41 and 44 did not work. They sized my boolits inside the case. But the boolits were close to 0.002" over nominal diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady. Love them and have many of their sets for reloading. Very finely crafted.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    The Redding profile crimp die did not work for me. Great concept but not for oversize cast boolits. 41 and 44 did not work. They sized my boolits inside the case. But the boolits were close to 0.002" over nominal diameter.
    My profile crimp die did not size the bullet in my case but pulled fat cast boolits out of 44-40. Long story short, the die is in spec but the Ruger Vaquero was not.

Take care

r1kk1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast