WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Handi Rifle Who has one?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Randyrat, according to the Handiholics at Greybeard's Forum, if you send your rifle in to have a new barrel fitted, you can have the factory give you a nice trigger job for little or no cost. I would go for the .357 barrel or the .45-70 or even the .500 S&W. But whatever makes your bird whistle. I have a .223 Synthetic model Handi that I would like to sell so I could buy the .500 S&W.
    The 45-70 is also on my mind. I'm going check on a trigger job from factory. So far i have had the gun for about 5 years and haven't shot it like other guns but can't complain for $150. As for, you get what you pay for- i did and i'm not complaining.

Boolit Buddy

30-40 Handi

I have one and did the rechamber to 30-40. I use the open sights so the
    2" groups I get are the limit for my eyes. Someday I will scope it to see how
    it does. I have it as a mountain bike rifle where I have to ride in on fire roads where
    cars aren't allowed. That way if I take a tumble I won't ruin a good scope. It is
    also fairly light at 7 lbs.

I sent the rifle back for the free trigger work when I added a shotgun barrel. It is now
    a nice 3 lbs. The shotgun barrel makes it a nice walking (or riding) turkey gun.

With the 30-30 barrel and 150 grain nosler accubonds I could get close to 2400 fps
    with reloader 15. With the rechamber over 2600 fps with imr 4350. I have loaded up
    some 180 ballistic tips and 220 grain round noses to try.

Cast loads so far with 170 grain gas checked are similar in both chamberings about
    1700 fps. I haven't done much with the krag yet.

One other good thing about the Krag rechamber, is the great number of loading data
    for heavier bullets of all kinds. An it has an even longer neck and wider rim than the
    30-30, good for cast bullets in a single shot.

With any of the Handi rifles I would suggest buffing out the chamber with flitz
    to keep stuck cases to a minimum. Also be sure the front forearm screw is snug
    for best accuracy and if on a bench, rest the front bags under the action or hold
    the forearm in your hand while on the bags. Stay away from the ultralight barrels,
    they walk all over the place.

Boolit Master
    Just for info... yes, the boys at NEF will do sort of a trigger job for free if you send your gun in. But they will only go down to, I believe, about 5 lbs. I've been fortunate with two of my BC's, I guess. After douching them out with a degreaser I squirt Break-Free in their actions and let them drip dry and wound up with crisp 3 3/4 & 4 lb. pulls. Not fantastic, but useable.

Boolit Master
    All 3 actions I have, have nice triggers.
    I have 2 rimless barrels, .308 and .35 Whelen, both do fine, no extractor problems, notice I said extractor, not ejector, I converted my 3 actions to extractor and did a 30 second modification to the extractor profile on my .35 Whelen with a needle file and cured any problem with it.
    Over 1000 rounds in the .45-70, including 1800+fps 500gr loads and all are still tight.
    Just a LOT of bang for the buck!
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Boolit Master
    Drinks,

Please tell how you did the conversion. I hate the ejectors.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Most Handis have great trigger pulls.

Boolit Master
    Mine is a tack driver. Sub moa with mild loads if I do my part at the casting pot and reloading bench. 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" with full bore cast. The trigger is a crisp 3.5# out of the box. If the chamber is sloppy I have a few other "better" rifles that need to be slopped up a bit.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master
    Me.
    Mine is a 157pardner 30-30 barrel on a newer NEF action. Think its a SB1

I have gotten 1" @ 100 yds and less 5 shot groups with 150 hornady pointy jacketed stuff loaded up.

Cast I get an honest 1 1/8" @ 100yrds that blow out to 6" at 300 mtres if I do my bit with 170fp lee loaded slow.
    5-10 rounds mostly.

My barrell was sordda new when I got it.
    Bad chatter marks near the chamber end from the rifling machine kept it in new condition for me,
    (no one wanted it)
    A bit of lapping etc and a home trigger job helped it preform.
    Light but crisp without being too light.
    PP bullets I have tried and played with around the 2 to 1 1/2 moa. Sometimes better.
    Still has a bit of a ****ty start at the front of the barrel but it shoots good enough for me for what I want.

Mine has deeper rifling bore 303 groove 308 1:12 inch twist.
    I think it is the lighter barrel that's not supposed to shoot to good.

Still it is capable of head shooting rabbits to 150yds if given the right loads.

I'm happy with my "useless single shot.....just a bit of a joke really....grandpa outdated obsolete cartridge firing wobbly stretchy actioned...never load it in time....slow firing hammer whacking shuttering... short barrelled poky thing that'd be flat out hitt'n nothing past say 100yds" gun

Still working on it.
    And having fun loading cast and PP boolits with me lee whack'em loading tools at the range.

My fun thing is loads with about 3 gns bullesye 170 plain cast tumble lubed around 1000fps hitting the 300 mtre gong.
    Bang......wait for it..............ding ....heeeheeeheee.
    Sick.

They tend to grow on 'yu once you get past the "mustta fell out of the ugly tree and landed head first look"
    The monel die cast looking action and stamped out innard looking bits!!!!!
    I think I can use this more as a tool more than a range queen that I'd be coddling after all day in case it got a scratch or something.

Consider it as a reliable paddock basher not a merc to turn up to the opera in and enjoy.
    Barra
    Last edited by barrabruce; 06-18-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Master

My 11 year old is wanting a handi rifle for her 12'th birthday. I had been thinking .223 but perhaps something in 30 cal. With boolits I can load even a 30-06 (which I load for a much older son) soft enough for her and she does want to go hunting with me and her older brothers sometime soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I have the Handi rifle chambered 30-06 and it shoots great,trigger is crisp and very heavy 6-8 lbs. It takes me 10 rds just to get used to the trigger. I have been thinking about sending the forarm and receiver in to get a different barrel fitted but am confused. I'm leaning toward a 30-30 so i can cast for it also so i can have open sites. I could try casting for the 06 but am stuck with the scope only, no open sites. Maybe i should save up and buy them all.
    I just pick up a 2004 action for a 243 cal. barrel SB2 the trigger pull man 85oz
    I have 2 other SB2 both break at 3lbs I was lucky the old H@R did the trigger jobs for free no need to purchase any barrels.I here the new remington will not touch them any more unless they are really heavy.I can say it was simple to do you need a plate knock out block and a slave pin hammer and a 5/32 punch and and real small punch one for the front pin ,pins get knocked out right to left drop the lower have and polish the sear .
    I now got it to break at 48 oz man what a difference and simple I found the ruff part was to get the housing back into the action took the most time.

Boolit Master
    Iv'e heard the triggers can tend to lighten with age as well.

I just mostly polished all contact and bearing surfaces.

Took out the trigger return spring and replaced it with a weaker ball point pen one IIRC.

That lightened it up some.

After a while and a good run in I then lightened it a tad more to what ....I .....wanted it to be.

Ohh Iv'e heard that they would re- do the triggers fiting barrels heavier if they were worked lighter than 3 pounds

Barra

Boolit Buddy
    Many of todays firearms are fitted with the lawyer trigger 6lb.++++ and many of todays shooters do not know ant better.

If they shot a 3 lb or less trigger pull with no creap they would be astounded.

Most Handis come with a nice light trigger.

Here's mine I paid $225.00 with the scope.

I have my NEF with 3 barrels.
    .223 bull barrel
    .243 bull barrel
    12 gauge rifled slug barrel

This rifle is by far one of my most favorite and accurate rifles in my collection. I'm thinking of sending it back in to get it fitted for 7.62x39, .500 S&W, .50 muzzle loader, and .270. For the price you can't beat the price to have them done.

http://www.getbulletsandbrass.com/im..._ATN_scope.jpg
    -Adam

Boolit Master

My H&Rs are my "last" rifles. I have three actions, blackpowder, shotgun and rifle.

The blackpowder is an old .58 Huntsman that I shortened to 20"

Shotgun is fitted to .410, 20 and 12 gauge.

The rifle is fitted for .225 Winchester (was a .223), .30-30, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, and .45-70.

The .45-70 can give me inch and an eigth groups, the .225 three quarter inch.

I love 'em.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy

I got 3 of em !

I have three Handi Rifles, SB-2 frames, I have sent em all back at one time or another for extra barrels. All seem to shoot real good If I can hold em steady, and see what I'm shootin at.
    So Far I have:
    .22 hornet
    .204 ruger
    .22-250
    .243 win
    .280 Rem.
    .7mm-08
    .30-30 win
    .308 win
    .357 mag.
    .44 magnum
    .45-70
    .450 marlin

The .450 marlin barrel I need to send back, it just won't always eject the brass, the little ejector thingy snaps under the brass rim and refuses to push it out. Not good If I need a fast second shot..
    I'd like to get a .444 Marlin barrel too, wish I could find a .375 Win. barrel, but they don't offer them anymore ( I have brass, bullets, dies...)
    Why three frames ??? Well, I have three grandsons, so I want to make sure each one gets a gun and a couple calibers to play with. Now I have a new grandson this summer so I need to buy another Handi Rifle, and barrel it up.
    These guns are fun to cast boolits for and shoot, my barrels look like mirrors in side !
    "PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    Mine's not a Handi-Rifle but an older Topper model 158 with .30-30 and 20 gauge barrels. I bought it many years ago to use as a loaner for those people who don't deserve to get their hands on one of my good guns.

The .30-30 barrel shoots very well. I've never had anything but a 2-1/2X scope on it and with that glass it'll shoot around 2MOA with the dreaded j-words. Can you believe I've never put a real boolit through it?

So many projects - so little time...
    Uncle R.
    I have a 158 set from the 70's. Mine is .22 hornet and 20 Ga. Sure would like to find a .30-30 barrel to complete the set.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Banned
    I have a newer SB2 Ultra Handi-Rifle, purchased it in .223 with heavy Bull Barrel and added a .500 S&W Mag Barrel and factory trigger job. In .500 S&W I have never used factory ammo and now use cast bullets in both calibers. The .500 will group less than one inch consistently for me at 50 yd. with Bushnell 2-7 shotgun scope and DeadNutz one piece base/rings. The .223 groups .621" @ 100 yd. I weighted the butt stock with a drop-in cast lead cylinder to reduce recoil with .500 S&W. When the .500 barrel was new it consistently fired the first shot 2 inches high until I honed the bore with chrome scratch remover polish about 80 strokes with a snug patch. Problem gone completely now. The trigger originally was 6 lbs 2 oz and their free work was excellent. 3 lbs 1 oz and no creep. Next is a .308 Win bull barrel for me! The laminated Ultra Varmint stock is a little flashy in color but the Monti Carlo cheek is a good height for scope use. I've fired over 2000 rounds .500 S&W and 1000 rounds .223 with this rig and like it a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Thanks for the input. The Handi 30-30 barrels are 1 in 10" twist.
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to inform everyone that there were indeed 1:12 twist 30-30's put out by NEF. Look for the ones made in the early 90's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast