Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better, Sako or Tikka?

Boolit Buddy

Which is better, Sako or Tikka?

One of my local gunstores has a couple of factory demo rifles for sale. One is a Tikka T3 Lite for $475 and a Sako (I missed the model number) for $599. Both have synthetic stocks and are chambered in .30/06. I can't tell a lot of difference other than the Sako seems to be slightly more refined and has a button at the safety that allows the bolt to be cycled with the safety on.

I've had my heart set on a .308 of some type for quite some time but for the money (these both seem to be good deals to me) I may go back with a .30/06.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that owns one of these rifles.

Wheeler
    Last edited by Wheeler; 11-15-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spacing

I have the Tikka .308 Varmint with a bull barrel and like it a lot, not real happy with the trigger though, just can't seem to get used to it. I shoot nickle size groups at 100 yards all day long w/reloaded jacketed bullets (Sierra 168 and 165 grain) and IMR4895, still working on loads for my lee 160 grain cast boolits.

Just my 2 cents,

Slim

Boolit Buddy
    I did a little bit of internet research. Apparantly the Sako I looked at today is the A7.

Doesn't SAKO make Tikka?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Having worked on some Sakos, I would say they are one of the better current market firearms.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Doesn't SAKO make Tikka?
    Yes. And both are owned by Beretta.

Correction: According to Chuck Hawkes Sako owns and makes the Tikka. They are distributed by Beretta USA.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 11-16-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Info correction/eat crow

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Having worked on some Sakos, I would say they are one of the better current market firearms.
    How so? I've read several reviews and am trying to get a handle on the quality of these guns. Would they last a couple of lifetimes?

Boolit Master
    I own a Tikka in 30-06 I bought it originally to replace a Sako that I had since 1972 who's barrel is just about shot out from all the shooting I did with it. When I was looking to get the Sako rebarreled the price was almost $100 higher than the new Tikka cost. Well the Tikka has been with me for five years now and it shoots every bit as good as the Sako ever did and is smooth as glass in operation. The Sako is nice and a great rifle (I currently have three of them) but the Tikka is no slouch and I really like the detachable magazine for when I am hunting.

Boolit Grand Master
    My TIKKA, 30-06 isn't for sale at any price ! !

See # 10 below :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130492
    Last edited by Ben; 11-16-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for that in-depth review Ben. In your opinion is $475 a good price for an unfired but much handled T3 Lite with blued barrel and receiver?

Boolit Buddy
    As of about an hour ago, this conversation became academic. I just put a BLR in .308 on layaway.

Boolit Buddy
    Tikka is not better than Sako. That is like saying a Chevrolet truck is better than a GMC truck.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    How so? I've read several reviews and am trying to get a handle on the quality of these guns. Would they last a couple of lifetimes?
    We build a half dozen or so of them into dangerous game rifles at Serengeti. Mechanically, they had good fit, and a good trigger. The only draw back I ever saw, was a squared receiver, that can cause wood to chip out, if it isn't relived around .030 clearance.
    I would think they would last a hundred years or so, with decent care.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    As of about an hour ago, this conversation became academic. I just put a BLR in .308 on layaway.
    Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner.................

You'll have a very nice rifle, not certain if it will outshoot a TIKKA, but you will have a very nice rifle.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Waksupi, that's what I wanted to hear. As long as the platform is solid the gun should last, as you stated.

Ben, the BLR has been on the want list longer than the Tikka,and it's the caliber I wanted.. ill put the Tikka on the back burner for now. The opportunity will show itself again.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Boolit Master
    I'm impressed by the new Sako Finn Light rifles. I just met my second one that out of the box could stay right around an inch at 300 yards. This one was a 300WSM that weighed less than 7 lb scoped. and was using handloads on an elk hunt this fall. The first one was a 7-08 a friend brought on a Caribou hunt a few years ago. It shot a three shot group of 1 1/2" at 300 using factory ammo. Not bad for a 6 lb rifle.
    BD

Boolit Bub
    The Rifleman Magazine by the NRA has a very good report on the Sako rifle. It was tested and the report was posted in this months addition, check it out on the Sako.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakta View Post
    The Rifleman Magazine by the NRA has a very good report on the Sako rifle. It was tested and the report was posted in this months addition, check it out on the Sako.
    Yeah, I got the magazine the day after I posted this

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    SAKOs and Tikkas have both been popular in Australia for many years. The SAKOs are better quality (and a heap dearer), but the Tikkas are excellent rifles. They both come out of the same factory nowadays it seems and some say the Bbls are the same, some say SAKOs get the premium ones. I don't know what the truth is there.

I have never heard a complaint about either brand I have owned lots of SAKOs over the years (I don't own any at the moment) and I am on my first Tikka, it is a T3 Hunter (wood stock, 223/1 in 8" twist Bbl, blued metalwork). Great rifle.

Both excellent, I like the current Tikka mags, extended ones available which make it easy to change with gloves/cold hands. I don't normally like detachable mag rifles, preferring mauser style internal mags, but the Tikka mags feed slicker than frogsnot.

I have always fancied a BLR as well, but never got around to buying one.

Three great rifles, anyone is a good choice.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-04-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: typo
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

SAKO has been one of my go to guns for years. I got my first Finnbear in 7mm Mag when I turned 13. My current favorite is a Mannlicher in .338, well balanced and hard hitting but that short barrel creates an awesome muzzle blast.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!