RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Bubba" Showed Up: Gun Damaged In The Shop

Boolit Buddy

Sleeve the barrel and make a "bunny gun" out of it. Then you can enjoy it for what it is, a mistake that you resurrected. I would never plug, seal, screw or weld holes in a chamber and I have seen this problem before. I have a DB 12ga coach gun that someone tried to cut just in front of the right chamber with a carbide circular saw. The right barrel is getting a nice .44WCF sleeve. Might be an interesting gun when done. We'll see.

No matter what, the gun can be replaced. You cannot!

Just my 2 cents.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I gotta throw in my $0.02 worth too.

First thing I thought about was muzzleloaders with touch hole liners, bolsters and nipples all screwed into barrel at the breech end

Many muzzleloaders operate at or above shotgun chamber pressures and those fittings are far larger than a screw hole for a sight base.

rtracy2001 is correct as well with regards to thread strength.

Also, if you hadn't quite drilled through to the chamber but left almost no metal between bottom of hole and chamber, would we be having this discussion? Would that be any safer?

I can't see how one or two holes separated by several diameters would cause a safety issue here. I would not want to see a row of several holes fairly close together though, that would certainly result in weakness.

As mentioned, the screws would have to be cut flush with the chamber wall or you will get extraction problems.

Is it safe? I think so and if in doubt it could be proofed to be sure.

Is it worth the effort? Probably not unless you can do it all yourself and there is a reason to want that shotgun. I can buy a used single shot shotgun for $100.00 or less and currently have 3 that I paid $50.00 each for two and $75.00 for one. All are good quality and all are in good shape.

What did I do to mount a rear sight? I soldered it on.

Just my thoughts.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    There are a lot of barrels out there... BUT... you only get one set of vital organs. See what a smith has to say, I guess.

Perma-Banned
    aw'right now. i'm gettin' mighty tired of bein' blamed for ever'thang goes wrong aroun' h'yer. i'm just gonna take my baler wire, coathangers, and duck tape an' go home. but seriously, i would agree with mk42gunner to sleeve it to 20ga and be done with it. with all the improvements in ammo the last few yrs you won't be handicappin' yerself any. my opinion and yer welcome to it. luck and have a good'en neighbor, bubba.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    aw'right now. i'm gettin' mighty tired of bein' blamed for ever'thang goes wrong aroun' h'yer. i'm just gonna take my baler wire, coathangers, and duck tape an' go home. but seriously, i would agree with mk42gunner to sleeve it to 20ga and be done with it. with all the improvements in ammo the last few yrs you won't be handicappin' yerself any. my opinion and yer welcome to it. luck and have a good'en neighbor, bubba.
    Holy ****! After all these years, I've been complaining about and maligning some mythical character... and he's actually a real feller. Got the beard and everything!

Boolit Master
    i wouldn't shoot it .
    kinda like putting magnum 31/2 " shells thro a damascus oldie ,not good.
    re-barrel and go get em.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Grand Master

I have heard of pluggin the holes and have heard that is works but have never been desperate enough to try it. What I have done is tig weld the holes and then re cut the chamber. This works and will stand any pressure that you will put throough a shotgun, but... If you don't have your own reamers and a welder you are looking at paying somebody as much as a replacment barrel will cost. Bottom line, you should check gunborker for a barrel first and then is none is availlablle find a gunsmith who will repair it right.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy another barrel for 12 gauge. Use the one that you have for a barrel stub, or sleeve it for 45 long bolt.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    Well, it CAN be repaired and shot safely (though some will cringe when they read this) if the wall thickness over the chamber is thick enough to thread for a sight screw plug.

Years ago, I was given a British 303 that had been drilled through into the chamber. After considerable thought, I threaded the hole and degreased it. Then I plugged it with a sight screw. (The headless variety, not one used to attach scope bases. This was one of the little plug screws that come in factory drilled holes when the gun is new.) The plug screw was seated deeply enough that a scope base screw could be - and later was - used over it,

Now I did a little preparation before going any further. I found a FIRED 303 case case that the bolt would close on easily. Then I cleaned it and gave it a good coat of wax. Simonize if I recall correctly.

Then I turned the rifle over, mixed some slow curing two component epoxy and used an eyedropper to put a bit of the mixed epoxy into the hole in the chamber. Add it to the edge of the hole so it will flow down inside, and not form a bubble.

Now I chambered the waxed case and set the gun aside for the night. Next day, I ejected the case and examined the chamber. There was just a trace of an epoxy spot that wiped out easily with some wet-or-dry paper on a dowel.

This 'repair' was tested by first firing with several rounds of factory ammo, with no apparent effect. Then it was tested with some handloads giving a bit higher prressure than factory, if case expansion is any guide. Still no problem. I mounted the scope base and used this rifle as a combo "car trunk" / "beater" "bad rainy weather deer rifle" and "loaner rifle" for quite a few years before giving it (and a good supply of ammo) to a farmer who was kind enough to let me hunt his property. It's stilll in use today.

A couple of points to consider: The 303 British operates at pressures considerably above shotgun pressures. Since the 'repair' worked well here, it SHOULD prove adequate for your shotgun pressures if the hole is deep enough for you to get a few threads of a plug engaged.

HOWEVER, something like this is very much a judgement call. If your barrel is thin over the chamber, you might well consider the cost of a replacement barrel well worth the peace of mind. It could be worth it in any case. But you have little to lose at this point. If you decide to give it a try and the plug blows out after a few magnum loads, you haven't lost anytjhing - assuming you're smart enough to tie it to a tire for a box of shells before putting it to your shoulder. It worked for me under conditions I consider notably more stressful, but also with a notably heavier chamber thickness, and your results may or may not parallel mine. How adventurous do you feel?
    Years back when you could get P14s in 303 that were drill rifles with a hole drilled cross ways throught the barrel, I did the same thing befor I pulled the barrel off just to see if I could blow it up, Tapped like 3/8s X16, finished the inside of the bolt heads to same conture as the chamber, Loaded up max loads and mounted it in a tire, couldnt blow it up and case extracted with no troubles.
    Next time we took a old single barrel shotgun and drilled out the chamber to get a 50 Cal.BMG load
    shell to fit, glassed in for it wouldnt slide ahead when fired. Had glass also around the bullet, Tied it up to a boulder in the quarry and pulled it off with a long cord.It went bang and never blowed it up.That was over 50 years ago when a case of Dym. was $15.00, At 15 years old we having fun, lucky we are alive today, Joe
    Last edited by smokemjoe; 11-29-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Boolit Master

+1 with Red River your eyes fingers life isnt worth a 50 dollar shot gun ... that you can easily replace

Boolit Buddy
    I have looked high and low and the only sleeves I am finding are chamber tubes. Where would I go to find a full length sub gauge tube?

I did find a used cylinder bore barrel on gunbroker.com but it would put me right back at the start needing to drill and tap.

A rifled 20 ga full length sub gauge tube would be great.

Or I could just go buy a Mossberg 500 sale special and call it good.

Boolit Grand Master

Briley makes full length tubes. The 12gauge to 20 gauge is $600.00.! That Mossberg is looking better all the time, isn't it?

Boolit Buddy
    loc-tite (red) te screw in place & dress it flush with the chamber wall, the method the one poster used for his .303 British is great, it won't bow out & will be safe.

If you have any doubts research how a pressure test barrel works with a copper crusher pellet, the chamber is drilled & tapped for a tube that has a piston the sell "pushes" against & a copper slug is placed on top wth a cap screwed on to retain it & for the piston to crush the slug against. This is how chamber pressure was measured before strain gauges were invented, the piston is roughly 1/4" in diameter & the tube larger, considerably more surface area for a shell to "Push" against than a tiny scope mount screw & they handle pressures upwards of 10 more than a shotgun shell produces without letting go! If it were mine I would not hesitate a moment to repair it with a screw.
    Also, as another poster noted about muzzle loaders & all the parts threaded into the chamber, granted black powder doesn't generate pressures like a smokeless load but think about the Savage muzzle loader made to use smokeless rifle powder, no problem there!
    Do it man!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillbus View Post
    I have looked high and low and the only sleeves I am finding are chamber tubes. Where would I go to find a full length sub gauge tube?

I did find a used cylinder bore barrel on gunbroker.com but it would put me right back at the start needing to drill and tap.

A rifled 20 ga full length sub gauge tube would be great.

Or I could just go buy a Mossberg 500 sale special and call it good.
    I think Mr. John Taylor who weighed in earlier could fix you up. That is the route I would investigate first.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Bub
    One thing is for certain:
    You can't do nothing to it.
    Whether you decide to buy that Mossberg or simply leave it in the safe for a while, remember that you may may not be around when one of your heirs or some other innocent person takes it out and tries to shoot it.
    Either fix the hole or replace the barrel.
    Soon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Several months ago, I read a thread almost the same as this one...

same answers too....

I guess it all depends on your comfort level
    That's a good way to put it.
    I fall into the category os not firing it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    What? Not One JB Weld story?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Solder the plug screw in maybe? Silver solder? Is there anything stopping the use of a chamber sleeve?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by halfslow View Post
    One thing is for certain:
    You can't do nothing to it.
    Whether you decide to buy that Mossberg or simply leave it in the safe for a while, remember that you may may not be around when one of your heirs or some other innocent person takes it out and tries to shoot it.
    Either fix the hole or replace the barrel.
    Soon.
    The gun is in pieces so the risk is pretty low at this point. But your point is well taken. The military didn't plug all those VFW guns for nothing!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Solder the plug screw in maybe? Silver solder? Is there anything stopping the use of a chamber sleeve?
    Price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast