Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Bubba" Showed Up: Gun Damaged In The Shop

Boolit Buddy

Unhappy "Bubba" Showed Up: Gun Damaged In The Shop

I have an old Ithaca single shot 12 ga. My plan was to take the rib off the barrel and install a scope mount. I have a nice little spot for deer hunting that will never have a shot over 35/40 yards. I thought I would build a slug gun and if it didn't sling slugs accurately, I would stoke it with 3" 00 buckshot. A nice little 2x scope and we would be in business. Cheap gun, parts on hand a little shop time. What could go wrong?

Well, I got it all set up and had the depth stop set on the drill press. Somehow the stop slipped and on the second and a third hole I broke through to the chamber. Grrrrrrr.

Is it possible to plug those holes somehow and safely fire the gun again or am I totally hosed?

Bill

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would not fire it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I would not fire it.
    No plans for that. Not without proper repairs, if that is even possible.

In Remembrance

Have you got a fireplace to hang it over? I wouldn`t want to take the risk of firing it either. Saw a similar thing happen to a nice 870 Rem. by a "professional `smith. He was mounting a cantalever base on the barrel and drilled thru the chamber twice. Worse yet he actually mounted the mount with screws that projected into the chamber! If we had`nt seen this poor guy trying to chamber shells in that gun and then stopped him when we saw the problem - who knows what might have happened. I understand there was a spirited conversation with the gunshop owner about this, a new barrel and cash refund prevented a lawsuit.Robert

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That is why I will only use a mill to do this type of work. I don't trust drill presses for any kind of precision.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

It is not safe to plug those holes and fire the gun----- period !!
    Look around, it is not uncommon to find another barrel and many times they fit right up or can be easly fitted.
    Your hands, your eyes or even your life is simply not worth risking and the risk is very , very high.

Facta non verba

I recall some years ago, a rather well known gunsmith had this type of problem with a BPCR. He apparently didn't realize it when it happened, and the owner didn't catch it when he (hopefully!) looked through the bore before shooting. At the first shot, his business sight was air born, with interesting little curls of smoke coming from the holes in the barrel. The gunsmith replaced the barrel.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

You can buy used shotgun barrels galore on gunbroker.

My found 12 ga Stevens shoots slugs great after I hacksawed off the barrel. I would like some kind of better rear sight or even a 2x scope if there was a way to mount it. I don't trust a superglued rear sight!

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Well, it CAN be repaired and shot safely (though some will cringe when they read this) if the wall thickness over the chamber is thick enough to thread for a sight screw plug.

Years ago, I was given a British 303 that had been drilled through into the chamber. After considerable thought, I threaded the hole and degreased it. Then I plugged it with a sight screw. (The headless variety, not one used to attach scope bases. This was one of the little plug screws that come in factory drilled holes when the gun is new.) The plug screw was seated deeply enough that a scope base screw could be - and later was - used over it,

Now I did a little preparation before going any further. I found a FIRED 303 case case that the bolt would close on easily. Then I cleaned it and gave it a good coat of wax. Simonize if I recall correctly.

Then I turned the rifle over, mixed some slow curing two component epoxy and used an eyedropper to put a bit of the mixed epoxy into the hole in the chamber. Add it to the edge of the hole so it will flow down inside, and not form a bubble.

Now I chambered the waxed case and set the gun aside for the night. Next day, I ejected the case and examined the chamber. There was just a trace of an epoxy spot that wiped out easily with some wet-or-dry paper on a dowel.

This 'repair' was tested by first firing with several rounds of factory ammo, with no apparent effect. Then it was tested with some handloads giving a bit higher prressure than factory, if case expansion is any guide. Still no problem. I mounted the scope base and used this rifle as a combo "car trunk" / "beater" "bad rainy weather deer rifle" and "loaner rifle" for quite a few years before giving it (and a good supply of ammo) to a farmer who was kind enough to let me hunt his property. It's stilll in use today.

A couple of points to consider: The 303 British operates at pressures considerably above shotgun pressures. Since the 'repair' worked well here, it SHOULD prove adequate for your shotgun pressures if the hole is deep enough for you to get a few threads of a plug engaged.

HOWEVER, something like this is very much a judgement call. If your barrel is thin over the chamber, you might well consider the cost of a replacement barrel well worth the peace of mind. It could be worth it in any case. But you have little to lose at this point. If you decide to give it a try and the plug blows out after a few magnum loads, you haven't lost anytjhing - assuming you're smart enough to tie it to a tire for a box of shells before putting it to your shoulder. It worked for me under conditions I consider notably more stressful, but also with a notably heavier chamber thickness, and your results may or may not parallel mine. How adventurous do you feel?
    Last edited by Molly; 11-16-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Several months ago, I read a thread almost the same as this one...

same answers too....

I guess it all depends on your comfort level

could you tig weld the holes closed and then re drill ??????

Boolit Bub
    It better be one hell of a tig man, and best put heat control gel in the chamber and all around the hole, staying 1/2" or so away from the edges of the hole. The gel is available at most welding supply stores. I once saw a demo where a guy ran a welding torch across his hand, which had a thick coating of this gel! Talk about having faith in your product!

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Mr. Bill:

How much value do you put on your eyesight, fingers, etc? Get the point!

As a Journeyman Machinist/Tool & Die maker with almost 30 years experience and lots of gunsmithing experience as well, throw that barrel in the garbage and buy a replacement.

Ric gave you the best advice. Disregard all the other cockahula ideas............for your own safety!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master

Usually the problem with TIG welding on a barrel is the rapid cooling causing a hard spot. Also all welds shrink so it could make a tight spot in the chamber which could cause extraction problems. I TIG weld barrel quite often but I usually put a liner in after the welding.
    A screw could be used as a plug and polished off smooth in the chamber. I would clean good and use red loctite on the screw. Don't care for epoxy repair in a chamber but if it works why not, as long as it has a screw to back it up.
    You could probably find a used barrel cheaper than taking it to a gunsmith for repair.

Several years ago I talked with a fellow that was upset with another gun shop. Seems he had a rear sight installed on his barrel and they ran the screws into the bore and gave it to him that way. He just happen to look through the bore before shooting it and saw the screws blocking it. Good thing he didn't try to shoot it.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 11-16-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I truly wish to be educated here, so bear with me...

Could you mount the scope mount with extra long screws (so they protrude into the chamber) grind them off close to the chamber wall, and then use a finish reamer to ensure the screws are flush with the rest of the chamber? Quality thread adheisives can ensure the screws never back out.

What is the catch? Shotgun pressures are not that high (I'd have to think hard before trying it with a rifle).

Most thread strength calculations show that if you have a depth of at least 1.5 thread diameters then the shear strength of the threads exceeds the tensile strength of the screw (or nut) used. Assuming the screw material is at least as strong as the base metal. . .?

The only thing that could be problematic would be the chamber stretch upon firing. (it may tend to deform the screw hole a bit).
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Bub
    It could be done, if you were in Rhodesia or some place where getting another barrel was out of the question, but otherwise, not even close to being worth all the work.

Boolit Master

sale it to someone that need a barrel for a stub

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds to me like you need a new barrel, but you can use the one you have with a liner in it to make a rifle or smaller guage shotgun.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies.

I found a barrel on gunbroker but it appears to have a bulge. I'll just keep looking.

I do like the liner idea. Make it a 20 ga. Hmmm

I talked to a friend and he suggested (with tongue in cheek) that I use it as a cannon, now that it has a touch hole.

Bill

In Remebrance

I've done the same thing as Molly in the past. I wouldn't hesitate with a shotgun.

BTW- that wasn't Bubba that showed up, that was Mr. Murphy. Bubba woulda just duct taped the base on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast