Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another revolver

Boolit Grand Master

Another revolver

I was in the local gunshop a coupla weeks ago and spotted an old Colt New Service revolver in .45 Colt. For $150, I adopted it. I pay it off next week and then it goes for parkerizing. After that, a new set of carbon copy Colt grips. Looks like I'll be working up a new load pretty soon.
    Any ideas on where I can find a period correct left handed holster for this boy?

Jim

Congratulations
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master
    $150??!! Ya did good, sir.

No clue on the holster. That's a classy revolver, and deserves good leather.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Jim, contact El Paso Saddlery, epsaddlery.com. It doesn't show in their catalog, but they still have all their old gun models. Since they are descended from the S D Myres Company, these models go way back before WWII. They tell me that holsters for such as the 4 1/2" New Service or the 5" Army Special are no sweat, AND at no extra charge. The good old days is now!

As another option, many holsters for the S&W N-frame will accept the New Service. The old Safariland sight-track models easily bulge a bit to take 'em. There, I've just blown why I bid on ebay the way I do.

Congrats on getting a fine revolver, at a stupid-low price. You will post pics, right?

Mark

Boolit Buddy
    I passed on a 98% NS .45 Colt last year for $450.....that's a manly man's size gun there.....everything I've read on them indicates excellent tolerances in regards to chamber/throat/cone/bore relationships.......let us know how it shoots.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Will do. However, like John Wayne said, "First, we gotta catch 'im!"

Boolit Grand Master
    There were about a half-dozen NS x 45 Colt at the March '06 Reno Gun Show, ranging in asking price from $450 to $600 for one 90%+ example. I lusted in my heart for that nice specimen, but I didn't move on it. For the April '07 event, I'll bring some trade bait that might make such an acquisition less cash-intensive.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Being a "Certified Old Fart" I well remember the Colt New Service revolvers when they were pretty common (at least around here). I didn't care for them then and I still don't care for them. Just too dern big and they require custom grips to even begin to get some semblance of fit. However, even then they had their supporters.

You can't argue about their quality, as they WERE well made. However, I would much rather have an S&W of the times (am a particular fan of the "N" frame .357 and .44 Specials).

As the man said, howsomever... "Whatever spins your propeller".

We got more snow today, and I am beginning to feel a bit of cabin fever coming on. It's supposed to warm up in a few days and maybe melt this snow and ice off. I can't wait for a bit of the "Global Warming" that the liberals have been yammering about...

The old grump, Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr. Dale!
    I too am a fan of the older Smiths. However, when I saw that old Colt in the display case, I had to see it. Whien I flipped the price tag over and saw $150, I adopted it on the spot.
    Hope that snow melts off before you go stir crazy!

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Jim;
    $150 for a decent Colt New Service is just a flat "give-a-way". That's an amazing price. I just looked in the Blue Book of Gun Values (21st Edition) and those revolvers are like GOLD!

Be sure and check the prices out before you get rid of it (or keep it forever with a smile on your face).

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, aftermarket grips are almost a requirement for any sustained shooting with the N/S.....and there aren't a lot of those laying around loose without a keeper. N-frames? Oh, I just can't abide them! NOT!

Boolit Buddy
    Truth in advertising moment regard N-frames, particularly old .45 Colt N-frames....the S&W's are noted for having chamber/bore relationships that guarantee poor accuracy for most owners (chamber throats running .457-.459" in many 1950 Target, Model 1955, and even early 25-5's), while the Colts are noted as generally righteous and most excellent in that regard....also, the Colt is an exceptionally strong DA revolver for that time period, especially when compared to the N-frame....I like N-frames, but they've had their problems, too.....

Boolit Master

The New Service is even 'taller' just behind the trigger guard than the Smith, meaning the weight of the revolver can't be supported by the shooting hand without grasping too high. I like the old Pachmayr grip adapters to fix this, the New Service ones being number 4, in small, medium and large, I think. The large size is the largest (deepest) unit. I get 'em on ebay. If you haven't seen these things, they fit on the front strap and deepen the grip from front to back as well as fill the space between the middle finger and the bottom of the frame, allowing gun weight to rest on the finger. Same idea as with Smith target stocks. Tyler T-Grips also work.
    In the mid-late '70s, Skeeter Skelton wrote a Shooting Times article on his having customized a Colt 1917, all work being done by Bob Sconce's crew at Miniature Machine in Deming, NM. They checkered the grip straps and trigger, fitted a S&W rear sight and King front ramp, then installed checkered ebony stocks. A work of art, elegant and understated.

Mark

Boolit Grand Master
    After I get this boy paid for and papered out, I'm gonna have it parkerized for $130. I asked about reblueing and was told $300-400 would be the price tag. Can't quite go there. I did, however, find a vendor that manufactures carbon copies of the original grips for a few coins under $30. El Paso Sadlery can make a period correct holster for under $100. Might take the savings from the blueing cost and put it in a holster. I'm really lookin' forward to seein' how this is gonna turn out.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    After I get this boy paid for and papered out, I'm gonna have it parkerized for $130. I asked about reblueing and was told $300-400 would be the price tag. Can't quite go there. I did, however, find a vendor that manufactures carbon copies of the original grips for a few coins under $30. El Paso Sadlery can make a period correct holster for under $100. Might take the savings from the blueing cost and put it in a holster. I'm really lookin' forward to seein' how this is gonna turn out.

Jim
    Sounds like a nice retro "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Boom" rig......

Boolit Grand Master

Jim;
    You might want to check out these folks before you decide on a finish. These people are the REAL DEAL. I have had them do two high end single shot actions for me (the Frogmoor Ballard and my Peregrine actioned Schuetzen Rifle). The work is absolutely first rate. Their prices are extremely reasonable (they have their prices on the site).

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/index.htm

Good luck!
    Dale53

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2009 chunkum's Avatar
    I started on these back in 1967. Chet Paulsen did some work on one of the 45s with the Stag Grips (later switched out for target grips) and the 38-40. And one has been fitted with a .455 Barrel to better go with the throat diameters. Last is a S&W with grip adapters also fitted. I actually prefer the grip adapters to the target grips. Expensive these days though.

These revolvers can be made to shoot very accurately with the right approach. The 38-40 with the Boser Bullet kinda souped up some with AL7 (thanks to that Skeeter Skelton article that I can't find anymore) is one of the most accurate revolvers I own. Clover leafs five shots at 25 yards more often than not if I do my part. Have fun and enjoy your project. Take your time. I'm still working on these sometimes (40 yrs later!? I can't believe it!)
    Best Regards,
    chunkum
    Last edited by chunkum; 02-19-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

Boolit Bub
    Other than E bay which i do not like dealing with from past experience, I am looking for S & W N frame square target grips, the original ones that came with the model 29 gun, I think the wood was made of conco Alves with the S & W gold logo embeded in the grips, If any one knows who would have these grips for sale, please let me know I am looking for them in either new or fairly new condition

Boolit Master

This pistola deserves an El Paso Saddlery holster, say a 1920 Threepersons or a 1930 Austin. For $150 in the base gun, you could also have some period engraving and a great bluing job done on it. Won't help how it shoots, but it would be a great BBQ gun
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

About 10 years ago I bought a 7 1/2" .45 New Service, (1904 manufacture) for $350.00...You did GOOD!

As a shooter, it's the best Colt in my stable, 9.5 gr. of Unique with a 200gr. cast semi wadcutter for the .45 auto yields 1 ragged hole at 25yds. and shoots to point of aim. The heavier boolits for .45 Colt shoot much higher as they are factory sighted for 50yds. A soft swaged 230gr rn does quite well also in this old horse pistol.

I never got a holster for it as I don't carry it, a 4" S&W 629-3 carries much better around the old place for walks on the ridge, doing chores on a tractor, etc. If I have any complaint about the old girl, it's the hard rubber grips. The molded in Colt logo at the top forms a ridge right on the palm knuckle of my index finger and it seems all the recoil energy transmits itself right there on that bone.I got a set of Pachmyers for it, but I can't stand the looks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast