Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee factory crimp die and cast bullets

Boolit Buddy

Lee factory crimp die and cast bullets

How well does the Lee factory crimp die work for cast bullets?
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Banned

if you don't squish the boolit a crimp can help in some situations.
    a roll crimp to keep things in place in a tube mag,or from walking forward under recoil is a necessary evil.
    the squishy neck lee thing don't really roll the case mouth over, and their fcd usually sizes the boolit down too small to be effective.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you talking about pistol or rifle versions? They operate differently. The pistol version can swage a cast boolit down. I don't believe the rifle version will.
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Visit my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigRix?feature=mhee

I crimped J bullets with the pistol LEE FCD before I started casting for my pistol caliber, and It worked beautifully for those J bullets.
    On cast boolits it's another story. Even the slightest squeeze from the carbide seizer and your cast boolits are ruined. Thankfully people on CB new about it, so I found out about the problem before I bought my casting gear. I bought a separate crimp die, but didn't like it so I started searching on CB for a solution to the FCD. Someone said to take a LEE expander die body and swap the expander and top plug with the FCD's crimp ring and adjusting knob. I did, but the threading in the expander die body isn't as deep as the FCD die body, so I had to stick a spacer in-between the crimp ring and the adjusting knob to reach the case. It's a hassle, but if you like the crimp angle the FCD has on your J bullets, and you want to crimp cast boolits, it's the only way to go.

Ps. If the FCD sizing ring is small enough you can use it as your main sizing die for cases that would be used for cast ( so there is less working the brass ), it's just another trick I picked up from CB.

.357MAN

Yeah! rifle FCD is great. Similar to a light roll crimp without extra brass fatigue, if set up right

I roll crimp my heavy/big bore revolver rnd but sometimes the rolled crimp area is too large to chamber, its then I use the FCD to shrink just that small area down; not the whole thing.

Boolit Master

bottle neck cases I load as well as the 45/70 I use the LEE factory crimp die. this is a collet type die and works well. On the pistol FCD I use a chisel and break out the lower carbide ring and use it like a regular crimp die. The lower ring just ruins boolits.
    Last edited by mpmarty; 11-12-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling. duh
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    Pistol cases I don't care for them. They swage the bullet down too often.

But in bottle neck rifle cartridges I am a big fan. I have them for all my 30's and think they are a big improvement.

I have used them in my .45 acp and .40 and have great success neither on swages the bullets to small. sometimes you just need to try it for yourself and see if it works for you. A lot of the people that say they don;t like them have never used one and there are a lot who have had bad experiences with them so for less than 20 bucks give a try

Boolit Buddy
    I use the FCD only in 44 and 223 so far. I liked the rifle FCD die as is but did not like the sizing ring in the 44 die so popped it out with a punch.

Boolit Grand Master

Rifle type collet design FCD is great. Pistol type with carbide sizing ring can be a problem for
    some folks, in some cartridges with some diameter boolits. IMO, it serves absolutely no
    purpose that is not addressed by an ordinary 4 die set properly made and properly adjusted.
    I call it " an answer looking for a question".

Others here will and have disagreed with me on this, and have had good results with this.
    So far I have not gotten any sort of convincing answer as to what a pistol FCD will do different
    or better than a normal die set with a separate taper crimp die without the carbide ring.

IMO, if the carbide ring touches anything, itshows that the normal full length sizer die is made
    wrong. If the carbide ring doesn't do anything, then it is just an expensive taper crimp die with
    an opportunity to mess up cast boolit ammo. Sorry, I'll pass. I keep waiting for somebody to
    explain what it is that I have missed on the pistol FCD, so far they have all struck out, although
    some folks like and use them.

Ranchdog has had Lee build pistol length collet type "factory crimp dies" for some of the more
    common pistol cartridges. Sounds like a good idea to me, but haven't bought one from him.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 11-13-2011 at 02:17 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I have only used the rifle FCD
    and they pass my test.
    Sofar I have them in 30-30 and 45-70.
    And I would not hesitate to buy one for
    my 35 Rem.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    I use them to remove flare on the case mouth, lightly.

Boolit Master

Not so fast: He says he does not

Ranchdog has had Lee build pistol length collet type "factory crimp dies" for some of the more
    common pistol cartridges. Sounds like a good idea to me, but haven't bought one from him.

Bill[/QUOTE]

[B]SO.oooooooooo reading this, I emailed Ranchdog pronto and here is what he says:

I quote
    :
    [/B

I do not have an collect FCD for the 9mm. In semi-autos, rifles or pistols, that cartridge needs to headspace on the chamber step with the case mount so a FCD crimp would cause issue.
    Michael "Ranch Dog" Reamy
    Ranch Dog Outdoors
    ]

Boolit Master
    Don't know what I don't know but... if the man does not make it, it
    ain't for sale.

We can all be misinformed at times so no one take offense here.

For the same reason, you wouldn't want a collet FCD (or a roll crimper) for ANY semi-auto pistol cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth.

On the OT, I agree completely with the consensus here: rifle FCD, yes! Handgun FCD, no.

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/inde...ex&cPath=53_54 Ranch Dog doesn't offer Collet Crimp Dies for semi-auto rounds, but for other straight walled calibers...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Don't know what I don't know but... if the man does not make it, it
    ain't for sale.

We can all be misinformed at times so no one take offense here.
    What is your point?
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master

I have LFC's for all rifle ctgs that I shoot cast in, and am a firm believer that they improve accuracy. Would not use for revolver as I believe that roll crimp works best. Exception as noted for autos requiring taper crimps.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

I never said he made them for ALL CALIBERS. I think he has them for a number of the
    revolver cartridges like .357 and .44 mags. Sorry if you got disappointed, but you actually
    just need an ordinary taper crimp die for the 9mm.

If you are one of the "pistol=semiauto" guys, the sorry about that. Personally, a pistol is
    a handgun of any type, even though I know some folks insist otherwise. I did say "for
    some of the more common pistol cartridges" - no intent to defraud.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast