RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead Respirator

Boolit Master

Have your blood tested without then again with a respirator.
    Bet most that say they never use anything or say there is no need
    have never had the levels in their blood checked.

Well, in my case you'd be wrong. The last test was in August, it was 7.0. Considering how much I cast, load lead boolits, tumble brass, and shoot, that's not bad at all. For adults anything under 40 is not to worry about.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot much, cast a fair amount, both for about a decade now. Casting and loading is done in my basement shop with one window with a box fan pulling out and the Lee Production pot on the bench about 3' away. Smelting is done outside. Blood lead is and has been = 6 mcg/dL for years. No respirator (I'd buy jacketed before I'd wear one of those).

Boolit Master

There is more danger from lead from spent primers than there is from casting...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I have cast for over 60 years and am no crazier then day one!
    Your point being?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

I think 10x was following up on my comment about wearing a respirator when I empty my tumbler when I am dry tumbling. The point being there is more lead danger from primer residue than boolit casting.

HI All;

Thank you for the information.

Treeyt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    FORGETABOUTIT! There's no need for a respirator. If you're talkin lead fumes, there are none generated at normal boolit casting temp. And the mythical "lead dust" doesn't exist either.

No I don't---won't wear one!
    I'm a maint/mechanic for Deka battery. I work in and around 16,000 pound lead pots everyday "Lead Dust" does exist is in the form of the Yellow to Red powdered Oxide. The same thing they use to paste lead grids. When its dry and powdered it will kick up in a breeze. When the pots are chipped out they are required to where respirators. The proof is stuck to the filters, and the people who don't where the respirators the proof is in there blood lead levels. My blood lead level is currently 22ppm and would be alot higher if I didn't where a respirator.

As long as you keep you boolit casting pot clean and free of the colored stuff you should be fine I don't where a respirator while casting at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12