RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Rust removal & prevention

Boolit Bub

Rust removal & prevention

I have a 30.06 that is around 10-15 years old and has accumulated some rust on the barrel. Anyone with tips for removing the rust and gun back to like new condition.

I have always put gun oil on my rifle (stock and barrel) as a preventative measure but have never been sold on the theory.

Suggestions???
    1Peter 2:11

Don't put machine oil on the wood. DON'T

As for rust, almost any machine oil (WD40 is good, other thangs are betta), use 0000 steel wool and oil if oil and rag doesn't get it. They used to have silicone gun cloths to prevent rust - also silicone gun socks. Probly better things nowadays (I don't live where rust is a big threat BTW). If these don't work , maybe kroil, and there are rust removers, some of which also remove blueing (no fun).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Bought a rem 870 police turn in shotgun. Receiver and bbl were covered with areas of light rust. 4/0 steel wool and some breakfree and a little elbow grease and except for one or two spots all the rust is gone. Redid the stock and forend and you'd never believe it was the same shotgun. Frank

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    I once had a problem with my guns rusting in the safe. I tried everything on the market. All the gun oils, the silicone cloths, the WD-40 types, penetrating oils, you name it. A few days later, a white patch across the metal would come away rust red. Then I tried a product called RIG (stands for Rust Inhibiting Grease). A few days later, the patch was still white. Same after a week, two weeks, a month and six months later. I use almost NOTHING else.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    If one cannot find RIG there are other spray greases available from the automotive industry that should work as well.
    One is made by Zep I cannot remember the others. They are used as alight lube and a rust preventative.

Boolit Master
    I use CorrosionX

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

Use Nevrdull It will take off the rust and leave the blue. If the rust is very heavy you might need to start with steel wool and oil but that will also take off the blue.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    All my firearms have a patch down the bore and are wiped with a shop rag of Eezox.
    Here's a test I did of the product ...

Eezox Rusting Prevention Test
    Regards
    John

A bronze bristle brush does better than steel wool. Less abrasive to the blue on the surrounding area.

Corrosion-X works for me.

Linseed oil on the metal concealed under the wood will protect against rusting better than anything I know. I wonder why Cosmoline was even invented, given the properties of linseed oil. Hoppes' #9 takes it off. Terps or mineral spirits would also, but they don't smell as nice.
    Last edited by uscra112; 01-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    EEZOX stinks but works well it dries and doesn't collect dust, seems expensive when you see the size of the can but a little goes a long way. I tried it on a pocket carried pistol for CCW and some knife blades and it does work. I can't remember where but on some forum there is a test on steelwool left outside on a coastline pretty interesting.

Boolit Buddy

Rig Grease great preventative

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    If one cannot find RIG there are other spray greases available from the automotive industry that should work as well.
    One is made by Zep I cannot remember the others. They are used as alight lube and a rust preventative.
    Available from several houses but has been discontinued by Midway....try Brownells.... I bought the 15 0z Can for about $10{will last many years), then go to the hardware store and buy a lamps wool (not synthetic) bonnet for a buffer or random size piece. Cut a piece about 3 " X 4" and work some Rig into the lambs wool. After you use it a few times a thin but protective coating is applied to all blue surfaces. When hunting hard I miss a day or two before reapplying.....unless it gets into the rain or snow. Then I wipe down to dry with a cloth or paper towel and reapply. My guns are older than most readers and look great.......afishr4570