Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My home made 45 cal swaging dies.

I just wonder why anyone would go through the trouble of swaging for .45's if you are only going to push a bullet under 1000FPS?
    Seems a cast boolit would do just as well, unless you want the expansion of the casing.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    This thread has been absolutely fascinating.

I've wandered in here many times before I actually joined the forum. Back then I was just searching about swaging in general: jacketed bullets? No dealing with molten metal? Sign me up! Then I had a severe case of sticker shock and turned away in depression. Now you've got me looking down the rabbit hole again.

Am I misreading this, or is actually almost as simple as using a sturdy press (RCBS) with a normal die for reloading (a full re-sizing die whose cartridge shoulder matches the diameter bullet you're going for)?

Issues of springback, final sizing, and bullet weight make it more complicated. But in broad strokes, is that accurate?

Perpetual student In broad strokes it is that simple. Spring back, figuring bullet weight, and final sizing is just part of the process. Not complex at all. d

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    This thread has been absolutely fascinating.

I've wandered in here many times before I actually joined the forum. Back then I was just searching about swaging in general: jacketed bullets? No dealing with molten metal? Sign me up! Then I had a severe case of sticker shock and turned away in depression. Now you've got me looking down the rabbit hole again.

Am I misreading this, or is actually almost as simple as using a sturdy press (RCBS) with a normal die for reloading (a full re-sizing die whose cartridge shoulder matches the diameter bullet you're going for)?

Issues of springback, final sizing, and bullet weight make it more complicated. But in broad strokes, is that accurate?
    If you want simplistic approaches to swaging, YouTube mannyCA and see how he uses all reloading dies to swage with cast boolet cores and spent brass for projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I just wonder why anyone would go through the trouble of swaging for .45's if you are only going to push a bullet under 1000FPS?
    Seems a cast boolit would do just as well, unless you want the expansion of the casing.

Slim
    I make them for the 45acp simply because I already had the push thru sizing die and the a notch forming die and the bullet mold for the cores. So I spent $5 at a gunshow for a used 243 winchester fl die to use as point forming die.

[IMG][/IMG]

A close-up of the 225gr hp's for the 45acp, made these with out trimming the 40s&w cases.

[IMG][/IMG]

I originally started swaging bullets out of shell cases because I wanted to make jacketed bullets for the 44mag's. After trying several different things I ended up with these 265gr hp's. These were made with un-trimmed 40s&w cases and a nothing die and a Cheap lee 6mm/244rem fl sizing die.

[IMG][/IMG]

Plinking loads with those 265gr hp's in a 6" bbl'd 629.

[IMG][/IMG]

Some 147gr hp's made from 380acp cases untrimmed and using a 222rem fl sizing die as a nose forming die.

[IMG][/IMG]

I run them thru a lee push thru sizing die after they're swaged, .357 for 38spl's/357mag's and .356 for the 9mm's.

Anyway, nothing more then cheap dies, free range brass and free range lead for the cores.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I make them for the 45acp simply because I already had the push thru sizing die and the a notch forming die and the bullet mold for the cores. So I spent $5 at a gunshow for a used 243 winchester fl die to use as point forming die.

[IMG][/IMG]

A close-up of the 225gr hp's for the 45acp, made these with out trimming the 40s&w cases.

[IMG][/IMG]

I originally started swaging bullets out of shell cases because I wanted to make jacketed bullets for the 44mag's. After trying several different things I ended up with these 265gr hp's. These were made with un-trimmed 40s&w cases and a nothing die and a Cheap lee 6mm/244rem fl sizing die.

[IMG][/IMG]

Plinking loads with those 265gr hp's in a 6" bbl'd 629.

[IMG][/IMG]

Some 147gr hp's made from 380acp cases untrimmed and using a 222rem fl sizing die as a nose forming die.

[IMG][/IMG]

I run them thru a lee push thru sizing die after they're swaged, .357 for 38spl's/357mag's and .356 for the 9mm's.

Anyway, nothing more then cheap dies, free range brass and free range lead for the cores.
    What are you using for your.357 cores. Is it a cast boolet or just a sized core. I'm trying to make core molds from worn out Lee 6 cavity.
    Bill

Both. Those bullets pictures above have a 93gr cast 32cal bullet or I'll use a lee 311-931r. I also made a core mold for heavier (180gr) bullets for the 357.

Boolit Buddy
    While watching the MannyCA vids on swaging I started looking at the RCBS single stage presses just generally. Their Ammomaster2 is specifically rated for swaging, much pricier than the one in Manny's videos but it mentions in the manual that you can swage on it. The selling point seems to be more "you can reload .50 BMG" but if you tend to baby your equipment a bit- that might be a good option.

I also just found this page on the Corbin site ( http://www.corbins.com/reload.htm ) which explicitly says you can use a reloading press.

Thought that might be of use to lurkers

Boolit Master
    I have been making a couple of different bullets by just annealing and sizing a case (40S&W) to, .410 shoving it into a 308 die to get the ogive I want and then filling with melted lead. .358 bullets for the 35Rem. 350 Rem and 358N by cutting off 223 cases, annealing, sizing, shoving into a 22jet die for ogive and filling with melted lead. I have never seen the point of swaging for bullets under about 1100 fps.

Boolit Master

ping.
    bringing this up to the top to read later this weekend.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have been making a couple of different bullets by just annealing and sizing a case (40S&W) to, .410 shoving it into a 308 die to get the ogive I want and then filling with melted lead. .358 bullets for the 35Rem. 350 Rem and 358N by cutting off 223 cases, annealing, sizing, shoving into a 22jet die for ogive and filling with melted lead. I have never seen the point of swaging for bullets under about 1100 fps.
    Care to share some of the case length after you cut and what you are getting for bullet weight with those associated lengths?
    thanks
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345