Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 90385 in .308??

Lee 90385 in .308??

Brought one today! I intend to use it in my Mauser 98 .308! Good bullet to keep GC in the case neck and not below. Anyone tried it??
    Thanks BB03
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Moderator Emeritus

We don't generally keep track of the Lee's by number. What is the weight? Lee 30 cal 170 gr fp is one way.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 90385

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    We don't generally keep track of the Lee's by number. What is the weight? Lee 30 cal 170 gr fp is one way.
    Hi its C312-155gn sp. I want to size it down to .310 to suit my Mauser 98.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel033 View Post
    Hi its C312-155gn sp. I want to size it down to .310 to suit my Mauser 98.
    I use the TL version in my Howa .308.

So far, I've only loaded it unsized, without GC and tumble lubed using 11gns of Trail Boss for just over 1200 fps. Accuracy is surprisingly good.

I've recently got hold of a .308 Omark handgun and plan to use this bullet in that as well.

Can't see why it shouldn't work for you.

Boolit Master

Oughta work. I shoot that boolit (sized .311) in my Garand and it'll match ball ammo for accuracy out to 200M. I've also got a second 312-155-1R mould that I've lapped out to drop .316 that I use for my '09 Argie (sized .313) and my MN 91/30 (sized .315) with equally good results.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post

So far, I've only loaded it unsized, without GC and tumble lubed using 11gns of Trail Boss for just over 1200 fps. Accuracy is surprisingly good.

I've recently got hold of a .308 Omark handgun and plan to use this bullet in that as well.

What mould number is the TL version? THe Omark handgun sounds interesting! I have a couple of Omark's.

What mould number is the TL version? THe Omark handgun sounds interesting! I have a couple of Omark's.
    Lee number is 90361. The only difference is that it has 3 smaller lube grooves for the tumble lube. Personally I don't think the TL grooves make a lot of difference in any of the mould designs.

There's a pic of the Omark pistol here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=129114&page=2 post #25. Also some comments about it here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=129115 post # 10 & 11

Lee number is 90361. The only difference is that it has 3 smaller lube grooves for the tumble lube. Personally I don't think the TL grooves make a lot of difference in any of the mould designs.

There's a pic of the Omark pistol here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=129114&page=2 post #25. Also some comments about it here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=129115 post # 10 & 11
    Cool lookin pistol Nobrat!!
    Think i keep mine as rifles tho. I got a 9mm i am playing with my cast bullets at the moment, as my pistol toy. haha
    Great to speak to someone at home nobrat!

hey Nobrat, does the base of your 90361, sit below the neck portion in the case when seated?
    Thanx BB7.62

hey Nobrat, does the base of your 90361, sit below the neck portion in the case when seated?
    Thanx BB7.62
    Hmm, good question! I haven't taken a lot of notice. I did have problems with the overall length; the largish nose diameter meant I had to reduce the overall length as the ammo wouldn't chamber.

I'll have a rummage through the ammo cupboard tomorrow to see if I still have a loaded round, otherwise I'll take some measurements. Stay tuned!

Hmm, good question! I haven't taken a lot of notice. I did have problems with the overall length; the largish nose diameter meant I had to reduce the overall length as the ammo wouldn't chamber.

I'll have a rummage through the ammo cupboard tomorrow to see if I still have a loaded round, otherwise I'll take some measurements. Stay tuned!
    Will do mate, I think it should sit right at the bottom of the neck in the chamber of my Mauser, I hope! I am shooting an RCBS 180gr fp at the moment and the base and one of the lube grooves hangs in the boiler room, not really good for top accuracy.

OK, I've measured the maximum overall length I can have the cartridge with this bullet in the Howa to be 67mm, which is 4mm shorter than the official specs.

Just to see if this was "sensible", I also measured the Omark handgun and got 67.5mm, so the throat in each of those chambers are very similar.

So it looks like the GC would be below the neck.

If this is going to be an issue, I may have to see what Jim Allison from Cast Bullet Engineering has to offer in a 150gn bore riding design.

It's probably worth doing anyway as Jim's moulds are just so much better to use than the Lee moulds.

OK, I've measured the maximum overall length I can have the cartridge with this bullet in the Howa to be 67mm, which is 4mm shorter than the official specs.

Just to see if this was "sensible", I also measured the Omark handgun and got 67.5mm, so the throat in each of those chambers are very similar.

So it looks like the GC would be below the neck.

If this is going to be an issue, I may have to see what Jim Allison from Cast Bullet Engineering has to offer in a 150gn bore riding design.

It's probably worth doing anyway as Jim's moulds are just so much better to use than the Lee moulds.
    Thanks Norbrat! I hope the chamber of my Mauser has a longer throat, than your Omark and Howa. Think i will be very lucky if it is. just aswell the moulds are not too expensive! haha
    BB7.62

Hey Norbrat: in my province of Saskatchewan Canada, it is also illegal to hunt with a Handgun

BUT
    a handgun in our federal law is defined as a "firearm designed to be fired with one hand"

So... those long barreled firearms like yours, or the Remington, or the Weatherby, are NOT designed to be fired with one hand, BUT WITH BOTH Hands on the firearm.

THEREFORE, they are NOT Handguns....

our local gun shop a couple years ago, went head to head with our Federal Firearms guys, and got those guns delisted as Handguns.

we can now use them to hunt, and we can purchase them as Rifles.

although that was a couple years ago, I don't think I've seen any changes yet

might be worth getting your local shops to look into

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Hey Norbrat: in my province of Saskatchewan Canada, it is also illegal to hunt with a Handgun

BUT
    a handgun in our federal law is defined as a "firearm designed to be fired with one hand"

So... those long barreled firearms like yours, or the Remington, or the Weatherby, are NOT designed to be fired with one hand, BUT WITH BOTH Hands on the firearm.

THEREFORE, they are NOT Handguns....

our local gun shop a couple years ago, went head to head with our Federal Firearms guys, and got those guns delisted as Handguns.

we can now use them to hunt, and we can purchase them as Rifles.

although that was a couple years ago, I don't think I've seen any changes yet

might be worth getting your local shops to look into
    Under the South Australian firearms act,

"handgun means a firearm the barrel of which is less than 400 millimetres in length and that is designed or adapted for aiming and firing from the hand and is reasonably capable of being carried concealed about the person and includes a receiver of such a firearm;"

so that argument would not work. Other states of Australia would have very similar definitons.

In fact, in some states, modifying a rifle action into a handgun is illegal as it would be considered shortening a rifle to a barrel length of less than 400mm, and it could not be re-registered as a handgun as it would now be an illegal firearm.

Almost without exception the ONLY reason a private citizen is allowed to own a handgun in Australia is to compete in club competition.

There are extremely rare instances where permits are issued for self defence or for ranchers/station hands who have successfully argued they neeed a handgun as a rifle is too awkward to carry on a motorcycle when they round up stock.

These all require individual "Approval by the Registrar of Firearms".

Of course, like everywhere else, criminals have no problems getting handguns. Our government's own Customs Department estimate that for every handgun brought into the country legally (which would include such "dangerous" handguns as air pistols) there are 3 handguns smuggled in.

To put this in perspective, for the whole of Australia with a population of about 22 million, about 1200 handguns are legally imported each year. http://www.ic-wish.org/WiSH%20Fact%2...20Handguns.pdf These include those to be used by the various police departments, the military and the security industry, so you can get an idea of just how small the private handgun market is in Australia.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine drops at about .314 with my alloy. Have shot it in 308/06/303/7.62x54, and 30-30 (loaded single rounds in my 94), and sized properly it shoots well in all of them over my loads mostly with 2400.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Under the South Australian firearms act,

"handgun means a firearm the barrel of which is less than 400 millimetres in length and that is designed or adapted for aiming and firing from the hand and is reasonably capable of being carried concealed about the person and includes a receiver of such a firearm;"

so that argument would not work.

but if the firearm was "Designed" to be fired with both hands, it could be argued that it was not fired from "The Hand" but both hands, just like most folks fire a Rifle with a full stock... from the "Hands" plural

I know it is semantics, but that is exactly what the laws are written like.

can you legally hunt with a 20" barreled shotgun with a pistol grip (no shoulder stock?)

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    but if the firearm was "Designed" to be fired with both hands, it could be argued that it was not fired from "The Hand" but both hands, just like most folks fire a Rifle with a full stock... from the "Hands" plural

I know it is semantics, but that is exactly what the laws are written like.

can you legally hunt with a 20" barreled shotgun with a pistol grip (no shoulder stock?)
    This is getting a bit off topic, but.......

I can assure you we would get nowhere trying to argue this description.

Pistol grip stocks are completely banned for ALL long arms, whether they fold or not.

A 20" barreled long arm without a shoulder stock is completely illegal as there is also a minimum length which defines a long arm.

The bottom line is if we challenge ANY of the firearms legislation, the law makers just bring in even more restrictions.

For example, some calibres are banned in most states (eg, 50BMG and other high power "sniper" calibres) while other calibres with similar performance are not, but if shooters were to point this out, the other calibres would also be put on the banned list.

"Let sleeping dogs lie" is our best strategy at this point in the political pendulum.

Lee 90385? NO Lee 90230!!!

Well time to get back on topic. I opened my parcel form madcommando yesterday, which should have been my mould 90385. But instead it was a Lee 90230, which is a the newer Lee auto priming tool! I was a bit annoyed at first, but when i contacted Rick at madcommando he re sent me the mould that day, and offered me the Lee auto prime at a discounted price, so i got it too. I just hope my mould arrives for the festive season, so i can try it out!
    BB03

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast