5 0.65%
  • 56-60

6 0.78%
  • Still Hunting

43 5.57%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How Old Were You When You Got Your First Deer

Boolit Buddy
    Still haven't taken my first deer. Hopefully, I will this weekend! Several hogs, ducks, geese, and doves though.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    1971, THE 1ST TIME I WENT HUNTING ,AGE 21, 30/06, 4 PTS. + BROW TIRE ON 1 SIDE, 5 PTS. + BROW TINE ON OTHER. MULE DEER.

Boolit Master

I grew up in NY City. Got out (escaped) in 1985, moved up north, got a hunting license, got into the woods. Shot at a deer the first year, and took a spike the year after that. I was 35. Been great ever since. I learned a lot and put my time in, took a 10 pt 2 yrs ago. I passed on the tradition and put my friends son in "MY" spot and drove for him, and he took his first deer. Been great ever since!

Boolit Master
    I was around 40 when I got my first deer. Shot her with my M1 Garand. I went to my dad's house (he lived out in the country then) and we went to sleep in his Sentra with a sun roof. He had rigged up a light system attached to a motion sensor. When the lights came on it woke me up and I could see the deer walkiin' around in his garden. I stuck my M1 our the top of the sunroof, sighted her in and BOOOOOM! An orange flame shot out about 4 feet in front of my muzzle and down went the doe and car security systems were echoeing all around the neighborhood. It was about 3:30 am and I woke up the whole neighborhood. We spent the rest of the morning dressin' out the deer and put 'er in the freezer. My first and only deer!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

If my math is right I was 33 took a buck in 1998 first real hunting deer trip. I got the horns out in the shop with the date on them and it was taken with a 270. Thing is I carried it back to camp and everyone was happy for me. One fellow said right here is were we clean them at and helped me hang it up. I told him I never cleaned one or seen one clean would he mind helping. Got a big no problem and said hand me your knife all I had was a pocket knife good for cutting string and cleaning under your nails. He looked at me and said thats it I told him I did not think I would kill anything lol. Next day I shot two does so I was off to a good start even if it was late.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned
    I shot my first deer at the age of 17...the first year I could hunt by myself legally of course.

Boolit Master

I'm 31 and I haven't had a shot at a deer yet. I'm hoping that changes soon.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RamRod View Post
    ...... One fellow said right here is were we clean them at and helped me hang it up. I told him I never cleaned one or seen one clean would he mind helping. ......
    I got my first 5 deer cleaned for me by saying something pretty close to that. Of course I had been helping clean deer since I was about 8.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    When I started to hunt deer at the age of 16, there were not very many around.
    I did not get my first deer until I was 24.
    Same here. A deer track was a rare thing when I was 16.

Vendor Sponsor
    I believe that I was 18. We were making a drive in Oconto Co WI and I was on stand with a ruger 44 mag carbine back in 1973. Someone yelled "it's a buck Bruce" and it came charging out of the woods with afterburners on. I forgot to lead with the first 2 shots and with the 3rd held about 2 feet in front of his nose and hit him just ahead of the hams through the backbone. I can still see him sliding on the wet leaves at the edge of the field when he went down. Fun times.

My first deer I got when I was 22. Shot a 4 point with my old .50 cal. New Englander.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I was 11 years old with eyes the size of basketballs! I used a .270 win and my own supervised handloads. I shot him in the head at fifty yards! (dont tell anyone that I was aiming for his chest and just got lucky!)...Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I grew up on a farm I saw deer all the time never bothered to hunt them because I couldn't stand to eat them. Then after I was married my father in law taught me how to prepare them and I've been a deer killing machine ever since. LOL. Its just the way I was raised if its not a varmint or your not going to eat it there is no reason to kill it. That's the only reason.

Boolit Mold
    I started hunting deer with the bow in 68. There were not many around but I did see some in the woods and even took a shot or two with no success. Went off to school and did not hunt much again till 82. Got a compound bow and it was just too easy. Switched back to the recurve and suffered through some lean years. finally shot one with the recurve in 95 and have been gun hunting ever since. I usually get enough meat to make it through the year. I sure do enjoy the deer woods.

Cast Hunter

Growing up in WI I took my first deer (doe) with bow and arrow my 2nd year hunting at age 15. Got my first buck (nice 8 pt) at age 17 also with bow.

Last edited by RugerFan; 11-30-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: correction
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

On Heaven's Range

The poll options don't go high enuff!

I was a mere stripling of 62 when an unfortunate Alberta Whitetail crossed my sights in 2005.

Actually, the lack of deer came from many decades of living in" non-deer country" and I'd killed many dozens of caribou, moose, and bear before that Alberta adventure.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Killed my first deer on opening day of my first year hunting. 12 years old.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

17 years old. Shoot a 8 pt with my ruger BH 357 with my reloads. 30 years ago.

Boolit Master
    I had been hunting with my mother or father at one point or another since I was four. Did not kill my first deer till I was 15. Used my dad's ruger 77 in 6mm.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    My first deer was shot in November 1965 a few days after I turned 15.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first deer 1965 fixed.jpg  
    Last edited by Maineboy; 12-07-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Maineboy

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast