5 0.65%
  • 56-60

6 0.78%
  • Still Hunting

43 5.57%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How Old Were You When You Got Your First Deer

Boolit Buddy

I thought getting started in my mid 20's was late. Inspiring to see folks picking it up later in life.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

First deer was a doe at age 14. First buck however, that took longer. I was 28...but since then I've gotten a buck about every 2-3 years...and a doe almost every year. I guess patience and experience with age has something to do with it.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    I was 12 when I got my first deer. That was the youngest age you could get at tag at the time in Nebraska.

Boolit Master

Twelve, Calif. didn't allow you to hunt until you were 12yrs old. I got my license just under the wire. The next year Calif. went to HUNTER Safety Course requirement to get a license. Used the Family .257 ROBERTS built on a M1917 action. Still have it too. My little Buck had 4 points on the left? But only 3 on the right. Skunked the next year. But my little brother got his doe with the .257
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I was in my late 20's. My Dad didn't get his first deer until age 60. My son got his at 13.

Boolit Mold
    Started hunting at 13, but the old man didn't have a lot of time for that sort of thing at the time, so I got by on geese, duck and partridge for a few years. Lost interest for a couple years when girls and cars happened. Then I smacked a button buck at 19 using an old .54 Hawken grandad gifted to me. Followed it up with a small 3x3 in rifle season later that year, then the following year I whacked the big one with Dad's Remington 700. Now I've spent 17 years trying unsuccessfully to top it, lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    I don't remember exactly what year I got my first deer, but I do remember the day I saw my first deer track. Dad was working the bottoms and shut the John Deere down running to the house. We thought something was wrong, but Dad had found the first set of deer tracks on the farm. That would be in April 50 years ago this year.
    I was in the 11-15 year group. I got my first deer probably not too very far from you. I grew up in Perry County.

16 years old. Nice 3x3 muley near Highland Lakes, CA (Alpine County). Used a well worn Winchester 94 30/30 that was gifted to me from an Uncle.

Boolit Buddy
    Did not start hunting deer till I was 61 - got my first deer at 62 - which is not in this poll - so i marked age 60. Age 66 now and still hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    I was 10when I shot my first doe with grandpa’s Remington 244 semi-auto . It was scoped and I hated the scope . Grandpa had an old 03-A3 he got out of a barrel of an old Gibson’s store was just the barreled action .He had put an aftermarket stock on it , it had the original flip peep sight and front blade. He and my father said it was too much gun but I kept at them and they relented to let me find out for myself . I got it sighted at a 100 yards and then ran the target out to 200. I shot a total of 30 rounds that day to everyone’s shock and surprise ( I was a healthy Texas boy ) I shot 2 does with that with factory Remington 150 grain corelokt. Through the off season we shot a lot of pistols. I was very fond of grandpas S&W 45 colt with 8an 3/8ths barrel. I stated I wanted to deer hunt with that the next season . We loaded up so Lyman 454424 with I believe 8 grains of unique and that November I shot my first doe with a handgun and cast too boot. I had the bug . My birthday was less than a month away and I was turning 12 and grandpa gave me the choice between a brand new S&W model 27 357 mag and a S&W model 57 41 mag both with 8-3/8ths barrels . I was a bit intimidated so I chose the 357 . We went and shot it and I promptly asked if I could change my mind and take the 41 they laughed and asked why . I stated well I want this for hunting and I would prefer the larger hole again laughter and at the ripe old age of 12 years old I was the proud owner of a S&W 41 mag . I still have that old gun and it has seen all manner of loads from mild to wild 98% of them cast . Today she only shoots the mild to medium loads and I have yet to find a critter that argues with it . They simply fall over in its wake . Grandpas long gone but he’s there every time I lay my hand on that revolver .

Boolit Mold
    I was 19 and took a small buck with a 1977 Ford F-150.

Quote Originally Posted by bronte454 View Post
    I was 10when I shot my first doe with grandpa’s Remington 244 semi-auto . It was scoped and I hated the scope . Grandpa had an old 03-A3 he got out of a barrel of an old Gibson’s store was just the barreled action .He had put an aftermarket stock on it , it had the original flip peep sight and front blade. He and my father said it was too much gun but I kept at them and they relented to let me find out for myself . I got it sighted at a 100 yards and then ran the target out to 200. I shot a total of 30 rounds that day to everyone’s shock and surprise ( I was a healthy Texas boy ) I shot 2 does with that with factory Remington 150 grain corelokt. Through the off season we shot a lot of pistols. I was very fond of grandpas S&W 45 colt with 8an 3/8ths barrel. I stated I wanted to deer hunt with that the next season . We loaded up so Lyman 454424 with I believe 8 grains of unique and that November I shot my first doe with a handgun and cast too boot. I had the bug . My birthday was less than a month away and I was turning 12 and grandpa gave me the choice between a brand new S&W model 27 357 mag and a S&W model 57 41 mag both with 8-3/8ths barrels . I was a bit intimidated so I chose the 357 . We went and shot it and I promptly asked if I could change my mind and take the 41 they laughed and asked why . I stated well I want this for hunting and I would prefer the larger hole again laughter and at the ripe old age of 12 years old I was the proud owner of a S&W 41 mag . I still have that old gun and it has seen all manner of loads from mild to wild 98% of them cast . Today she only shoots the mild to medium loads and I have yet to find a critter that argues with it . They simply fall over in its wake . Grandpas long gone but he’s there every time I lay my hand on that revolver .
    That's a great story! Glad you still have that S&W 57.

I'm pretty sure I was 9 when Dad helped me get my first deer. was a nice fat Doe at around 80 yards with my 25-06. sure miss those days.
    Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    CBOB0690

Deer had been killed out in depression era in Appalachia where I grew up. Hunted rabbits and squirrels for food. We were really poor. I got my first deer in Georgia at 25 years old. Took my son with me from time he could walk. He got his first one at 8. Now the Va trophy was taken 5 years ago from my old homestead I grew up,in. Wild and big hogs too. I miss them old hollers and ridges. Moved close as I could to the mountains or little hills as I call them here in GA. Don't know how good you had it until it's gone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    Deer had been killed out in depression era in Appalachia where I grew up. Hunted rabbits and squirrels for food. We were really poor. I got my first deer in Georgia at 25 years old. Took my son with me from time he could walk. He got his first one at 8. Now the Va trophy was taken 5 years ago from my old homestead I grew up,in. Wild and big hogs too. I miss them old hollers and ridges. Moved close as I could to the mountains or little hills as I call them here in GA. Don't know how good you had it until it's gone.
    When my daughter was about 6 years old I took her deer hunting with me.
    The second day out near noon she was setting on my lap to keep warn when I spied a small buck out to my right 80-85 yards away.
    My daughter saw him just as I was about to wisper 'deer' in her ear, but she poked me on my leg and pointed very slowly towards it. "I see him" I wispered. "When I start raising the gun you start raising your hands to cover your ears, do it really slow."
    We watched him for 10-15 minuted as he broused around just out of my limit I set on myself for a handgun.
    Then he turned towards the corner of the woods quartering towards us, I started to raise the gun and Kate started her hands towards her ears very slowly. The deer stopped once and looked behind it and I brought the 629 up in one motion and was proud of Kate when she brought her hands up to cover her ears also. With that I touched off the round with the deer at 30 yds.
    That 6 pointer jumped into the air kicked out with its rear "feet" and collapsed dead where it was.
    I liked hunting and fishing with my kids, they liked it too.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I still hunt some every year and fish quite a bit. I used to grab my son and we were all out every weekend and evening we had spare time. My son quit going with us around 16 and had a gotta date excuse which was part of growing up I guess. My 2 older sons were into sports and took no interest in hunting. It's just the husband and I hunting now. I really miss The days of hunting with my kids. Bright side I have 13 grandchildren and the 4 year old grand daughter and 2 year old grand son will be my next hunting buddies. Can't keep the 2 year old out of the reloading room now. He uses my lower depriming press and says he's making bullets. My other ones live in other states but these 2 are here everyday. Nothing like the excitement of watching the one you taught to hunt get theirs. Two trophy at one time.

I'll let you know when I get one...
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Boolit Buddy
    I was 18, and in college in 1978. Walked off campus carrying a Model 88 Winchester to a spot on State Forest Land here in PA. Killed a spike buck, and dragged it halfway back along the road until a guy in my dorm came and helped me with his truck. Probably 25% of my dorm had rifles and/or shotguns in their rooms my freshman year. A different time for sure.

I was 18, my friend invited me to hunt on his farm and what a blessing that was. Started a long time interest that has not faded. My son was 9 when he got his first deer and it has been a joy to share my love of hunting and the outdoors with him.

Boolit Master
    Killed my first big buck 9 pt. At 15 yo. It was either him or me, as was being chased by old blue tic hounds edge of Ouachita river northern La.near Litro La. Browning A5 #1 buck shot, he was running up this old creek bed antlers laid back, tongue hanging out, if I hadn’t shot when I did I think he would have fell on me.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast