5 0.65%
  • 56-60

6 0.78%
  • Still Hunting

43 5.57%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How Old Were You When You Got Your First Deer

Banned
    I was 13 yrs old. Dad dropped me and a friend off (friend was also 13) and continued on to another location. I shot the deer with a M1917 Eddystone with the marvelous peep sight. Deer was standing broadside at 365 yards. I pictured a yardstick over the deers shoulder and shot for the top of it. Hit it in the spine 5" to the right of aimpoint. I rested the gun on my friends shoulder. He went down from the concussion of the shot but had not lasting injury. My dad was amazed to see me there with a deer when he came back. Even more amazed when I showed him where it was and I was standing. (uphill shot) That was by far the longest shot I have ever shot at a deer since. Other than that the best shot I have made is 120 yards deer running straight away from me. Hit him in the back of the head blowing off half of the rack. Same gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I was 11. Shot it with my 243. Small spike. Still have the memory and the rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    ah yes I remember it like it was yesterday
    I think I was around 16 can't remember my age but know the deer
    the spot the weather the gun and ammo and the time 8:30 a.m
    I got a spike buck through the lungs at 25 yds with a Remington 788 in 6mm rem.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

First year I went I was 13, small for my age, shotgun slug area, I had an old hand me down .410 bolt action.

Took me a long long time to become proficient at at. But once I got the knack I had several very good years. My best year was 3, a forkhorn which I kept to eat myself, a nice doe and a big 10 point buck which hangs on my wall.

20 ga Rem 870 wingmaster and slugs.

"If they are coming my way hunker down and let them get close" is my motto.

Location location location and then steady nerves. Save getting excited for after.

Banned
    i was 13 or so when i got my first deer, it was a spike(left one was 2 3/4", right one was 3"). i used my winchester m94(made in 1973 in 30-30). the spike was a whopping 15 feet from the end of my muzzle. i don't remember the shot, but i do remember him falling over. he was drt from a neck shot. i was soooooo proud i got him. my dad seen him and he went after him on the hopes that i would get a shot. i then gutted him and then i began the long, long drag...ok it was downhill and it was something like 100 yards to my house!!!

I was in my early 20'so. Dad wasn't a hunter, so an older friend took me. My first rifle was a Win 760 in .243. My first deer was a button buck that looked 'full size' thru that 3 x 9 scope. It took 25 years for my 'friends ' to stop reminding me! Rather new things came up to hassle me about! hc18flyer

Boolit Master

14 years old and using a German Mauser 8x57 my dad ordered through the mail from Sears. Dad put me on "stand" while he came around a hill to push deer towards me. The 4 point I shot came in behind me!

Used a Sierra 175gr pushed hard by IMR 3031.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

November 1972. My oldest brother volunteered to take me hunting on opening day. I had just turned 14 and Dad loaned me his 94 Win 30-30 to use. I had only fired it once before and was impressed as was my shoulder by that steel checkered buttplate. We drove around in the morning checking grain fields and right of ways. Jim had a new Ruger .243 he was dying to make meat with. We saw a crow on a fence post about 200 yds away so he suggested I try his rifle. Pop went the crow and I became an instant scoped bolt action fan. That afternoon we went to the Horton farm where some high school boys wanted to do a drive. We busted out a spike and I went all Lucas Mcain on him. 6 misses in a row. Luckiest deer alive that day because three others were emptying their guns too. The next morning Miss Bonnie Horton(the 5' dynamo who raised them Horton boys) yelled at me(she always yelled)-"use my rifle this morning cause it's lucky." we'll, I had manners and accepted. She hauled out the dustiest gun I'd ever seen inside a house. A 336 Marlin 30-30 with a JC Higgins 4x. She said to be careful of the broken stock and it "it's true."
    I opened the action enough to verify if it was loaded and she said "it's got 2or3 in it- go get me a deer." and that's just what I did. A small six point waited for this young boy to aim,shake,kneel, shake, walk ten feet to a dead tree, then rest the gun on a limb. I aimed where John Wooters said to in his articles and pulled the trigger. The broke stock turned the shoulder shot into a neck shot and I still haven't seen a deer drop any faster. I danced around yelling "I got one!" until help arrived. Ten years ago my brothers and I hunted pheasant by the old homestead in NW Oklahoma. When my oldest brother downed a rooster he danced around yelling "I got one!"- damned old fool could have fell & broke a hip......
    Best, Thomas.

I got my first firearm, a single shot .22 when I was 12. Great for safety and marksmanship training. Soon I wanted to hunt something larger than squirrels. By the time I was 14 I had wrangled my first high powered rifle, a surplus Lee Enfield No.1 Mk. III* which I left unaltered. Still have both rifles to this day. My dad owned 160 hilly and nicely timbered acres, an old homestead that had become surrounded by national forest. There were deer around, and after securing my first hunting license for $10 and deer tag for $3, I went looking for one. Hunted for several days without success. Then, one morning just before I had to leave for high school, I walked out on the back deck and there he was, down in the creek. I rested my L.E. on the railing and fired off one of my prized Peters .303 British 215 gr. soft points. The buck dropped like a rock and never moved. Distance was about 65 yards. Nice antlers, 4 points on each side, still have the antlers also.

Boolit Buddy
    I started deer hunting at 12 with a 410 and slugs. I didn't get a deer, a spike, until I was 15. Dad let me use his Savage 340C, 30-30. I missed a nice buck 4 times due to a severe case of buck fever a few days before but managed to keep my nerves in check with the spike.

I was in my late 30's when I got my first deer.That was after I move to Iowa .Back in MA where I was brought up the deer was not that many and it had to be antlers only that was not less then 3" at the time and too many was after them.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I may be the only redneck that has never been deer hunting!

Boolit Master

13; single shot H&R 20 gauge with Brenniki slugs. Distance-11 feet!

Boolit Master
    I was 16. A friend and I backpacked into the mountains above Ojai, Ca. to a spring called Ladybug. I was admiring the morning view from a mountain top of fog shrouded valleys below when I looked down at a forked horn looking back up. The first of several deer taken with my Mod 600 6mm which I still have and will probably be buried with.

Boolit Master

I was 14 and thought it was legal to hunt without an adult (dad didn't hunt). Friend and I went into the woods early and I promptly fell asleep, I was dreaming something about sticks banging together and woke and there right in front of me was two bucks fighting! I jumped up and they took off and I didn't even get off a shot. I figured nothing would be around anymore so I started wondering around and got kinda lost. I sat down on a tree stump and a minute later heard some one coming, turned out it was a small spike. Not only was he small but stupid too, he stood there at 25 yds while I turned around and pulled the hammer back on my old Stevens single shot 12 ga. and he jumped when the hammer fell with a loud click! I couldn't believe it misfired! He was about to bolt so I cocked it again and this time it fired. I was so nervous I really didn't know what to do, I was by my self and lost in the swampy woods. I tied my hat in a tree branch so I could find my deer again and followed a game trail to a local farm about a mile or so from where I started. The farmer was cool when he saw me walking across his field and even went back with and showed me how to field dress a deer and then gave me and my deer a ride home . That was back in the day when a kid could walk down the roadside with a gun in hand and people would just wave as they drove by.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned
    ...67!

Well done, old chap!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor
    I was 18 in 1973 and was on stand during a drive my hunting buddies set up. As the drive came to its end I heard one of the drivers yell Its a buck! Seconds later a 6pt came running out of the woods. I forgot to lead on the first two shots and settled down on the third. I put the front bead of the Ruger 44mag carbine out in front of the buck and the 240gr flat point hit him through the spine just ahead of the hind quarters. Did I mention that he was running? He had just crossed into another small woodlot and he must have slid 10 feet when he hit the wet leaves. I can see it like it was yesterday.

Boolit Master
    Late bloomer for deer, maybe 30 before I started doing that. Started with dove, quail, squill and bunnies. Then it was NVA, elephants, water buffalo and pot bellied pigs. Took a couple seasons to bag my first one, an 8 point in N. Florida. Problem I had was figuring how to shoot something that wasn't belt fed.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Problem I had was figuring how to shoot something that wasn't belt fed.
    That is a rough transition!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast