• 51-55

3 0.45%
  • 56-60

5 0.75%
  • Still Hunting

41 6.16%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: How Old Were You When You Got Your First Deer

Marble Falls, TX with Dad's "Old Never Miss".
    Almost five decades later still got the rack and the 99.
    Or was it with the 6mm 700BDL?

1957,was 12.Dad took me hunting that day.Used the rifle that he carried inWW1(don`t ask me how he got it home either,don`t know.).We were on some property that a friend owned,a citrus grove.The deer loved the fruit.We sat under an orange tree and waited.Buck showed up at about 25yds away.That was some good eats.The other one that I remember was taken at about 3 feet with an S&W mod 64 with a 4 in bbl.Boolit was the Lyman 358156 gc.One shot right behind the left ear.DRT.He was yummy too.There were quite a few in between those two.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Much as I hate to admit it my very first deer was poached while rabbit hunting at the tender age of 11 . I shot it at roughly 25-30 yards broadside with a Browning Light 12 loaded with cheap Charles Daily #6 field loads . I hit him once and he ran another 30 yards and dropped . He had 9 #6's in the heart and another 5 in one lung . He had the ugliest rack I have ever seen , 7 tines were busted completely off and the only one left intact had a knot and crack all the way around it about two inches from the tip . That was almost 50 years ago and and I have been a law abiding hunter every since . It did eat good !
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Mold
    Opening day 11/02/1983 on dirt bike trails I had seen sign on that summer. Took a stand on the down wind edge of an open area that was fogged in. As the fog burnt off - boom. 12ga slug; one shot.

7 point..tried to post pic of skull cap mount, but thread won't let me...?
    Last edited by jrfixer; 10-11-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Got my first deer at the age of 17, hit the deer with the front of a 1957 Ford truck. Had to replace a fender, bumper and light holding assembly. The truck could still be driven, loaded the deer and my father and I cleaned the deer at the house.

Boolit Buddy
    I was 12 when I got my first deer. First cast bullet deer (and only) was when I was 23.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was 14 and it was with a 96 Mauser 6.5x55 made in 1898. And I was with my grandpa.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

My first deer. I had just turned 13. Was using a Model 1917 30-06. My dad dropped off my buddy (also 13) and me at a field on the side of a hill. He drove around to another hill about 1/2 mile away. I walked up to the top of the hill (about 500 yards) and my buddy stayed down in the first 1/3rd of the hill. We were both watching the edge of a woods that had runways leading into the high grass of the hill. There was a tree line on the top of the hill that I was also watching. We decided around 9 AM that the place we were hunting was pretty poor. I walked down to my pal and we discussed what to do next. Then where I had been standing back up on the top of the hill a deer came out. It was a long way up there. But it just stood there. My buddy shot. deer didn't move. He shot again. Still stood there. So I used his shoulder as a rest and aimed 36" high. (gun was sighted for about 100 yards) I pulled the trigger and my buddy went down holding his ears. For a moment I thought the gun blew up. But he went down from the very loud shot being next to his ear. Once I made sure he was OK, I told him that I thought I hit the deer. We went up on the top of the hill and there it was laying, Hit in the spine above the shoulder. I paced it with my 36 inch stride that I learned in forestry class. 365 yards. To this day I love those peep sights on the old M17's Pattern 14's and Enfield's after Model 4 mark 1. With good eyes they are deadly.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master

Hunting by myself in a swamp with a new Win 94 30-30 my dad gave me for Christmas the previous year. Shot a doe with a doe tag I was lucky enough to draw and dragged it several miles back to camp myself. Had my first beer as celebration, too, for shooting the deer, gutting it myself and dragging it for a few hours arriving back at camp after dark instead of just leaving it. I was 10 or 12 so I picked the 12yr old timeframe
    Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
    Bastiat

Sic transit gloria mundi ( the glory of man is fleeting)
    Whispered in Julius Caesars ear before every speech to remind him that everything comes to an end.

Non nobis Domine,
    non nobis,
    sed nomini tuo da gloriam

(Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us,
    but to thy name give the glory.)
    Knights Templar

Boolit Buddy
    I was 15. My Mom's cousin owned a cattle ranch just north of Rio Grande City in south Texas. He would let me come down and shoot dry does and, eventually, a small forkhorn with weird antlers that he wanted out of the gene pool.
    I made a few trips down there and went with my uncle to his deer lease in the Texas hill country once, as well.

I've spent most of my "adult" years away from Texas. I enlisted in 1996 and was stationed in Gulfport, MS. Four sea-service deployments later, I fetched up in Louisiana.
    Land access seemed kinda weird in LA and I never joined one of the requisite hunting clubs that it seemed like all the guys at work were in.

I switched jobs and moved to New Mexico. A lottery for a five day season, confined to one zone, with a bag limit of one antlered buck was kinda discouraging. I ended up spending seven years in NM and mostly just called coyotes. I put in once for a deer tag and got drawn for an area up in the Gila NF. I ended up shooting a called-in forkhorn on day three of the five day hunt.

I transferred to Montana four years ago and haven't missed a deer season since. It's really cool being here, as my ten year old got her first deer, a fine looking mulie buck, last year. She's raring to go this year and I also hope her big sister will get her first this go 'round.

Boolit Bub
    57 with a Marlin 1894 in 44 mg.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112