Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: rem mod 341

Boolit Master

rem mod 341

hello everyone , im a regular at castboolits but never posted in the rimfire section ;but i have a question ,,
    my buddy told me he had an old bolt action 22 with a gosh awefull stock and asked me to "clean it up for him" .
    its a rem speadmaster mod 341 ,,,shoots 22shorts,long,long rifle,nice looking bore and metal a small amount of surface rust here and there but the stock looks like it was covered in brown paint (several coats) and then varnished ,with the same brush ,again several coats. it's bad.
    so i put on a thick coat of the citrus strip gel on it and let it sit for a while and then used a plastic paint scraper to remove the gunk and underneath is a fantastic looking stock,let id dry and gave it the once-over with 0000 steel wool to smooth it out and applied a coat of Howards retore-a- finish (walnut) and it looks great.
    now after all that background stuff a couple of questions.
    #1 who in the heck would do that to a nice stock to begin with? (no answer required).
    #2 before i give it back i gotta shoot it ,right? so anyone shot this model and how does it perform?
    p.s i believe they were produced from 1936 to 1941 or something like that,can anyone shed any light on this rifle for me ????
    thanks for your patience for reading my ramblings
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master
    I have a Remington model 34 which is the earlier version of the 341, it shoots great. Like all 22 rim-fires it can be sensitive to the brand and lot number of ammunition it likes, but what it likes it shoots quite well. Mine prefers Winchester Super X hollow points over all others.

The earlier Remington rim-fires are well made, but were too costly to keep in production so Remington brought out the 500 series to cut costs. The 500 series guns are accurate, but just don't have that slick machined feel of the earlier guns.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I had a 341 when I was a kid, have owned a couple since then and just picked up a beater to redo.
    My experience has been that all the rifles shot lot better than the sights they came with, so I'm gonna drill & tap and put a 7 or 8" scout rail cut down from a pic accessory rail and a pistol/scout scope. So I can see what it's pointed at, you know, old eyes.
    As to the 5-teens, a little TLC will slick 'em up good, and they're the CZ of the last century. IMHO. LC
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.