Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "NEW " UNIQUE...Heavy Fouling...!!???

Boolit Grand Master
    44, well said. Very well said.

I wonder about some people and the descriptive complaints they have about "cleanliness." I confess I don't know where they get some of these "horribly, terribly filthy" statements.

I don't shoot my guns while wearing white gloves and doilies, nor do I expect them to look the same fired as unfired.

The residue doesn't affect functioning for many, many hundreds of shots and is very easily removed. Which is why these posts puzzle me.

Boolit Master

That is why it is called"flaming dirt"

Dirty for sure but very flexible

Boolit Grand Master
    "Flaming Dirt". LOL!!

44 Mag may have hit the nail on the head. What a group of five shooters call "clean" could have 5 definitions. I clean guns to--

1) maintain accuracy

2) maintain reliability

3) preserve metallurgy

A firearm need not be a "sterile field" to operate properly. Nor does it need to be "inspection clean" to run well.

Anyone thinking that Unique of any vintage is "dirty" hasn't run Goex 3F in a 31 caliber cap & ball revolver. THAT is DIRTY.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    it took me TWO DAYS to scrub out the HEAVY BLACK fouling from Unique...!!!!!!
    Your heavy black fouling continuously on the patches for 2 days is L - E - A - D and for 2 days of cleaning, you have plenty in the bore. Shine a borelight in the bore and look at the grooves.

A bore brush and hot pure turpentine, plus plenty of scrubbing will remove the lead
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    If it is a lead deposit......a played-out bore brush wrapped with Chore-Boy copper filaments will make short work of bore leading.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Just another voice here. I have been using Unique for 50 years in it's various incarnations and have never had the problem mentioned by the OP. Unique cleans up just like any other powder. I suspect the problem is with the primer or bullet lubricant and not the powder.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Any way to answer your question. HP-38 will get you close to what you are looking for and it meters way better than unique.

Boolit Buddy
    For some people you might blame some of this obsession for clean guns, on their time spent in the military. I have fond memories of spending up to an hour cleaning on a rifle that had not been fired, just so it was clean enough to pass inspection, in order to turn into the armory. We used to clean our M-16s every morning and evening when in the field or for range firing. Same thing in Viet Nam, break them down, wipe them down, lubicate and clean the bolt assemply and the chamber/bore twice a day. In peace time garrison duty, the rifles had to pass the white hanky test. Same thing on the 1911 when I started carrying one of those instead of a rifle. Do that enough years and it can make you pretty obsessive about clean weapons.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I've the "obsession" of cleaning all my firearms after use that was instilled in the Army and the necessity of really wanting the firearm to work when I was in harms way. Also as a LEO, a LEO firearms instructor and and armorer for several police agencies along with being an advanced firearms instructor and instructing at the state's police acadamy I can tell you horror stories of uncleaned weapons of all sorts malfunctioning because they were not cleaned regularly, particularly after use. As an LEO myself I inspected my service weapon when I put it on and also when I took it off. It was cleaned right after use and also on a regular basis whether used or not. I also inpected and cleaned the shotguns and/or rifles that were in the patrol cars. The shotguns were carried verticle in a locked rack and you'd be amazed at the number of times I dumped cigerette buts, empty cigerette packages, gum wrapers, candy bar wrapers and even a syringe out of them. In 42 years of Army service and 18 years in LE business I was constently amased at the number of Soldiers, Marines and LEOs who could care less about the condition of their firearm. Even when they were in canstant harms way.

I may go several days between cleaning (after shooting) a firearm in a hunting or camping situation though. However, if the weather is inclement and the firearm was exposed to the weather then it gets cleaned. Call me "obsessive" but my firearms don't let me down by malfunctioning or failing to fire and are always accurate that way.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    If a person is really that obsessive about clean firearms, then degrees of "cleanliness" in reference to powder would not matter one bit, because they will clean the guns after shooting anyway.

So a "clean burn" would have no relevance, because it's never clean enough. No powder is eat off the table top type clean.

Ballistic consistency and accuracy matter more anyway. If I was an obsessive cleaner I would be even less likely to go for the high tariff of some of the favored powders, as it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the time between cleanings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12