Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 8x56R Styer

Beekeeper

8x56R Styer

I have one and am trying to get it to shoot the frankenstein boolit reliably.
    It does not want to feed correctly,
    I have tried several clips so think I have eliminated that.
    It seems to hang up on the feed ramp and the projectile goes up too high to chamber unless you push it back down with your finger.

Is there a mod I need to do to the clip?
    A mod to the feed ramp?
    Any ideas accepted!

beekeeper

Boolit Bub
    I have been using the Lee 338-220GC 1R mold, sized to 334. No feed issues, or leading. Still working on the load data tho....

Chrispy

Super Moderator

..............The clip lips control the cartridge.

This photo is the conversion of a M95 Steyr I did to 30-40 Krag. I had to modify the clip lips in the 2 areas highlighted with the pink lines. The 30-40 case is much narrower then the 8x56R, and the cartridges would point up too high. The bolt would push them with the boolit going up and hitting the top of the action ring, or even over the top and standing straight up. I simply used needle nose pliers to create a tighter radius. This forced the cartridge being fed to maintain a shallower angle. They present to the breech now as nice as can be, and you can operate the bolt as energetically as you wish without a hiccup.

Nothing to do with your situation, but again dealing with the 30-40 Krag and it's smaller case OD. The cartridges were somewhat loose in the clip. While they wouldn't just casually fall out, I suspect rummageing around in a pocket with a couple loaded clips, one or more cartridges might have parted company with the clip. Again with needle nosed pliers I bent the lips up, in the area denoted by the white box. This was a bit more radical bending then the feeding issue, as there was considerable slack to get rid of, and you can't get it all. The only thing you have to watch out for is to not interfer with the lifter arm. Otherwise should it drag it might not provide enough pizzaz to lift successive cartridges high enough for the bolt to strip them off.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    One thing I found when reloading 8x56R is that OAL is THE most important measurement too look for.
    Too short and round will get stuck in high angle preventing it from feeding into the chamber.Too long and it will get stuck in low angle with chamber and stripper clip on the ends and feeding ramp under the ramp.
    To make matters worse any projectile with different ogive from original will require very different OAL than one stated in manuals.

Make 5 DUMMY ( very important!) rounds with your boolit,note OAL,cycle all of them thru action and check OAL of ejected cases.If boolit is pushed in-increase OAL ( in small steps).If boolit is not centered in the case anymore-reduce OAL.

Another thing to remember is that M95 bolt hast to be worked very fast and with a lot of power.This is not a delicate rifle-it is meant to take the abuse just like all infantry rifles of that era.
    I'm not kidding.With dummies,try to work the bolt as fast and as strong as you possibly can.You will be surprised how well it works.

PS:I hope I didn't mess anything up.Please correct me if I'm wrong