Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a turk Mauser.

Thank you all! I have E-mails off to Springfield sporters and to rhineland. I think I have enough info now that I can begin the process. Just waiting on my paycheck now. 5 group buy molds seems to have seriously depleted my spending money.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The Turks turned anything that resembled a bolt-action rifle into 'M38' rifles..which is basicaly a collector's terminology name for the usual Turkish M98 style long rifles you see around often.

Older M93 actions..M98 actions...M88..Enfields from Gallipoli..anything the Turks could scrape together and refurbish got turned into 8mm long rifles...including several older styles of 7.65mm chambered Turkish Mauser rifles.

The Turks were gearing up because WWII was starting to rage..and they needed anything they could get(cheaply)

I am uploading some pictures of it now, I think it will make a nice little .45acp carbine.
    Will edit when I get the pictures hosted.
    This should clear things up

Last edited by greywuuf; 11-03-2011 at 10:00 PM.

one more, maybe someone can tell me what the slot is for ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    one more, maybe someone can tell me what the slot is for ?
    The slot is where the magazine cutoff used to be. Some of the 93 Turk Mausers had a magazine cutoff in order to hold or reserve ammo in the magazine. The same principal applies to the 03 Springfield, which also has a cutoff.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    the action was originaly part of a rifle chambered for 7.65x53mm

Two weeks out on the rhineland 45acp kit. they are out of ejectors. I think there is enough there to make a fun little carbine, i figure some file work and a fresh park job it will be a tough looking little toy!, perfect for experimenting with various cast bullets and loads!

Dan,

Thanks for hanging with me and getting this thing ID'd you guys are the best.

Everytime I see somebody build a .45 on a SR Mauser my (I want one) light starts flashing! Keep us informed on your progress.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

This might be the one that puts me over the edge into the world of NFA. I hear that after the first one others follow.

Boolit Master
    post a want to buy for a 93 mauser trigger guard assembly and you might find one cheaper than numrich. I don't know what your plans are for it but if you are thinking 45 acp, does that conversion have a trigger guard or does it fit in the magazine well? seems like a short case for that action. never seen one so I don't know how they work. 35 remington is an acceptable chambering for a 93 and would be a lot less problems and more power than a 45 acp

the conversion as i see it is a "variation" on the Delisle carbine of WWII short barrel and perfect for supression. also uses standard 1911 mags. I am not looking to make a real rifle out of this thing, it is just a "neato" little thing, for no good reason at . the trigger gaurd is used.. there is a filler box that replaces the magazine box. Th floor plate is removed.

if I ever get it all and get serious about it i will post some pictures.

Boolit Bub

Turked Mausers

The Turks ... Turked everything they could get. ie:
    I have a Turked '88, and a '98. The '88 receiver/barrel is numbered the same, but for the shroud and bolt. The bolt parts have their own but same numbers. So, it's a rearsenal. Llike a lot of them, some were redone more than once. If yours was factory repaired, then Turked, and then arsenal repaired again you could still have a good shooting gun. With a smorgasborg of misc parts from different parts of the world.
    Until I saw your pictures, it sounded a lot like you had a Turked '88. It still looks kinda like one. Maybe a Turked '93?

Boolit Grand Master

The magazine "filler" block does not replace the magazine box; it fits into it. The floor plate is not used as mentioned. Might take a bit of filing on the sides of the "filler" block to get it to fit as far forward in the mag well as possible as you want to keep the jump from mag to chamber as short as possible.

Also a dremil with small grinders is needed to shape the sides of the mag well for the mag catch to fit. Before grinding for the mag catch fit the block in the mag well and then with the bolt in the action, the mag attached with action screws correctly to the action and a mag in the block fit the block up into the mag well until the mag feed lips are just off the bottem of the bolt. Mark the filler ( scribed a line along the bottem edge of the mag well) or secured in place to drill the holes for the 3 retaining roll pins. You'll have to secured the mag in the proper location where the mag catch will hold it. The mag catch can't be used as it won't fit into the mag well until modified. All the above should be done before milling/grinding out for the mag catch as that's where you find where to grind. Grind the mag well for as close a fit to the catch as you can as if over done the mag catch retainer won't work (don't ask me how I know that!).

The mag "filler" blocks are made one size for all LR and SR magazines so individual fitting is critical to the particular magaine well used.

Larry Gibson

Now if I only had a mag well.

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there. Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

Boolit Master
    On the left is a standard large ring 98 on the right is a standard K KALE "large ring small shank" or small ring Turk Mauser. The O.D. on the 1941 turk is slightly larger than the O.D. on the large ring 98, but the I.D. threads are much smaller.
    another good page is here http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/turk/turkmain.html

Edit: added pic

Last edited by DCM; 11-27-2011 at 08:38 PM.

DCM thank you, Yes I have seen that page. I think those are both "Large rings" mine is definitely a small ring. Just got the package slip..... my Rhineland Kit is in ! to bad I can't pick it up till tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    The O.D. of both is that of a large ring. The I.D. of the Turk. on the right will only take a small ring barrel, the 98 on the left will only take a large ring barrel.

We "faced off" the Turk on the right to square it up and remove the extra lip for the stock. We made our own centering tool to hold the receiver out of the old barrel by turning it down by the threads near the ft. sight base, cutting the length down and welding the end shut as a CYA for NFA.

Another interesting thing with the Turk on the right is that the fire position of the safety is all the way to the left versus the 98 which is all the way to the right.

Boolit Grand Master

nother interesting thing with the Turk on the right is that the fire position of the safety is all the way to the left versus the 98 which is all the way to the right.

All my 98 mausers have safeties that are FIRE with wing in full left position, SAFE with wing vertical in center/bolt unlocked and SAFE with bolt locked with wing full right position.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    There was a Model 1892 Mauser that had features of the 1891 and features later carried over to the 1893. The 1892 had a magazine cut off and a single row magazine like that of the 1891. The 92 was the first to use the non rotating extractor common to the 93, 94, 96, and 98 Mausers.

I've seen a photo of an 1892 Mauser described as a Turkish Mauser. I believe they bought a few in 7.65 caliber early on. The 92 did not catch on so its fairly rare and seldom encountered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12