WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a turk Mauser.

Help with a turk Mauser.

hey guys, I was given many years ago a nice Small ring turk mauser action.
    no barrel no wood no trigger guard or magazine. it has a Square bottom bolt and is marked on the top of the ring with ANK one one side of the crescent and ARA on the other
    below that it is stamped with a 1939.

Any idea what this is, where I might find the "bottom metal" for it why it has a small external threaded extension on the front of the action, and if it is suitable for a "rhineland" 45 acp kit ?

Thanks,
    Dan

Boolit Master

The Turks are basically 98s with large ring, small ring threads. Everything else fits. A Swedish Mauser barrel will go right in, and Small Ring thread barrels will go on with turning the front stock ring off the action.
    They are a nice action. If it says K-Kale you got a winner.

this one is most definately NOT a large ring, not if the dimmensions I am getting on the net are correct.

Boolit Master

Might not be a Turk then.
    Turks were large ring, small ring threads.

Or I might not know the difference between a large ring and a small ring. Front ring of this one measures right at 1.3 with my calipers. The barrel thread look to be a lot larger (percentage wise compared to the front ring) than the pictures I have seen of the large ring small thread combinations I have seen. I will try to get some pictures up tonight. One web site I was on stayed that there are small ring Turks, just as the other countries, and the preponderance of small ring barrels is exactly why there are large ring small thread receivers. Makes sense to me.
    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Large ring threads are 1.102" (28mm) diameter. Small ring are .984" (25mm)or so, both 12 pitch.

Frank

Is that major or minor .....I find it a little difficult to measure to the bottom of the thread pitch in an inside hole. And the thread size won't definatively tell me which action I have. (At least not if they are small)
    How do I tell what action this is ?
    I have given the markings and the outside dimensions of the ring, no one going to offer an opinion?

Boolit Master
    I seem to remember that there were Turks which had the threading changed during an arsenal rebuild. Just going on recollection, which is not the most accurate all the time.

Here's a PDF from Brownell's about the Turk threading problem:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/le...ishmausers.pdf

That comment about the bolt being a flat bottom bolt screams converted '93 Mauser to me. But I could be wrong (my wife tells me I am all the time).

Ed

The large ring ID should be about 1.018, the small ring should be about .900.

Frank

I am not sure where we got off on conversion and thread size......

Ok I am NOT that up on mausers, but to my understanding "98's" are big ring and the earlier are not?

I think I stated " I have a small ring Turkish mauser". The measurements I have taken seem to support this. I have no reason to question that if it is a small ring then it is threaded for small ring barrels.

What I don't know is does that make it a 93? 95. ? Does it matter, I mean are they different or is that just the year of manufacture?

I gather the small rings have a different spacing for the stock mounting screws. Where can I find bottom metal for it. Is it still acceptable to build a .45 ACP carbine from? Or is it so old and unknown that even that is suspect. Oh.... How do I tell for Sure if it is a small or large ring?.....like can I measure the ring or something? I think that would be a good starting point to know for certain which it is.

In Remembrance

Turkish Mauser. Greywuuf.

Years ago I got stuck with a Turk "93" Mauser looking rifle. Not made by Mauser.

Mine is a long rifle and has a mis matched bolt. [square bottom]. Is marked the same as you state yours is. Has the year stamped 1956. Astonishing to discover that anyone would make such an antiquated gun such as this in 1956. That must be the year it was converted.

This rifle has had some sort of a magazine cut off at some time in it's previous life and now it is non operable.

This gun is chambered in 8mm mauser and I have not fired it in twenty or so years. I suspect it started out as a 7.65 Belgian/Turk. If you live close enough to do face to face transfer I will give you the rifle.

Not worth it to me to go to the trouble to send it anywhere.
    Your action will be plenty strong for the .45 auto cartridge.

Life is good

Thanks Frank, I don't have it with me and still don't know if that is to the "top" of the threads or to the bottom, but I will check. The only measurement I took was the front ring OD and that was 1.3"

Last edited by greywuuf; 11-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.

looseprojectile, I apreciate the offer, but as I am in Alaska i dont think it would work out. Good point you made on the mag cut off, mine has a rectangular Slot milled ( filed ,cut ?) in the 'bottom' of the right side receiver wall near the Rear bridge/ring, I am assuming it was a mag cutoff as well. And by square bolt I mean it is a round bolt, but the Bottom "feed" locking lug has a square profile it is not round like the other. Very obvious when looking at the face of the bolt, and in fact I am thinking it might hang up on a standard .45acp mag if the mag was seated too deeply,

In Remembrance

Square bolt.

I would just grind it to function. A round bolt will work as well as a square one.

Life is good.

Boolit Master
    the turks had some small ring mausers. if it has a square bottom on the bolt face it is a 93. should have an oval gas escape port on the front ring. small ring mausers are the same size all the way up the left side. the front ring is the same size as the rest of the action. large ring have an enlarged front ring. the later turks had large ring outside dimensions, and small ring threads. later they had large ring, with large ring threads. the ones with the small ring threads have a tall clip slot, the bolt release has a projection that goes from the front of the release to the top of the clip slot, and a groove in the rear of the top of the front receiver ring. the 93, 94, 95,and 96 small ring threaded barrels will interchange but that doesn't mean headspace will be right or that the sights will be on top.

Boolit Master

Sr ~ lr ??

I noticed you mentioned the bolt was flat on the bottom. As far as I remember, flat bottom bolts were only used on the small ring 93 Mausers, most commonly, Spanish, Chiliean, and Turks.

Does it cock on closing? If so, then you have a version of the typical SR Mauser.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Yes it is cock on closing 3 position wing safety/takedown , Clip slot ( not raised) in the rear ring, projection on the bolt release(curved to match the receiver that extends to the top clip slot) and thumb cut in the left receiver wall, and the front ring is "remington like" in that it looks as though the receiver was made from a TUBE( aside from it being a flat bottom action) front ring is no larger than any point of the rails.

Thank you all, A few little questions remain, what is up with the outside threaded ( just a couple thread) projection on the front ring and where might I find a trigger guard for such and action.?

thanks Dan

i dont recall there being any gas releifs in the ring.

Boolit Master

barrels will inter change most cut the ring off on the front of receiver that was for the old handguard. to lock in. I had one and had barrel changed and ground the ring off so it was easy to fit

You can find the trigger guard at Numrich Gun Parts Corp. it is item #1064900 and their phone # is 866.686.7424
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    "(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    My Turk is a 1944 K Kale and has a 1.400" front ring and cocks when the bolt handle is lifted, so yours is different. You've already confirmed that it ISN'T a '98 since its cock on closing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast