Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2400 with CCI 350 primer

2400 with CCI 350 primer

Does any one here use mag primers with 2400 in the 44 mag with 300-310 gr cast bullets? I got a hole brick of these primers and would like to use them. The rifle will be a ruger 77/44. Bullet seated to top crimp groove so as to fit in magazine.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Exclusively! Start low and work up, slow, striving for accuracy. Heaviest boolet I use in my Redhawk and Marlin is the 280 grain WFN. Anything heavier requires site correction, if you switch to lighter boolets.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, work great for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Does any one here use mag primers with 2400 in the 44 mag with 300-310 gr cast bullets? I got a hole brick of these primers and would like to use them. The rifle will be a ruger 77/44. Bullet seated to top crimp groove so as to fit in magazine.
    I've used 21.5 grns 2400 with a 240 grn GC and mag primers in my SBH and DE in the past. Experimenting with a 260 grn bullet right now. Made for a real stiff load. Wouldn't want to try it in a lighter gun.

All I'll say is that Alliant recommends standard primers only with 2400.

Boolit Master
    I'm with Rocky, i have only ever used standard primers in my 2400 loads per Alliant's warnings and never had an ignition problem.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Alliant and Brian Pearce both warn of some strange pressure spikes and weird velocity variations when using Magnum primers with 2400. One or both actually reported getting higher velocities from the standard primers also. I would just pick up a pound of H-110/296 for use with the Mag primers if it were me.

Boolit Master

Rocky & dubber are tellin' it straight. Lots of guys use mag primers with 2400 (and I used to), but standard primers work fine for me and I'm sure that Alliant knows a thing or two about the subject.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

I have done it but I have done a lot of things when I was younger that I would't care to do again. I agree with by a pound of 296/h110

Boolit Master

+ 1 on the H110 yes i have in the past but dont need to now
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    I have done it but I have done a lot of things when I was younger that I would't care to do again. I agree with by a pound of 296/h110
    Actually it's gonna take 3 1/2 Pounds of H110 to burn up that brick of primers.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Thanks for all the info I will stick to my cci 300s with my 2400. I have allot of it so was looking for a way to use these mag primers. One thing though I have load date for my 45 colt with 2400 and mag primers. Any one use Mag primers with 2400 in there 45 colt. Mine is a new model black hawk convertible. The acp cylinder will out shoot the colt cylinder. It's a fun gun.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    I have load date for my 45 colt with 2400 and mag primers. Any one use Mag primers with 2400 in there 45 colt. Mine is a new model black hawk convertible. The acp cylinder will out shoot the colt cylinder. It's a fun gun.
    I also use the CCI 350's, exclusively in Ruger only 45LC loads with 2400, in my wife's Blackhawk. Come to think about it, I also use the 550's for 357's with that powder!

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I tried 350s with 2400 to reduce the unburnt powder kernels. No improvement.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Rocky & dubber are tellin' it straight...
    Yeah you wouldn't want to just take my word for it lol
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    but standard primers work fine for me and I'm sure that Alliant knows a thing or two about the subject.
    that is sound logic.

I like WLP's for almost all magnum loads.
    I prefer to use CCI350's with W296, but even then WLP's worked fine in the 100 or so rounds I tried them in.

Banned

Ive used them and still do. I work up a load usually with standard primers but about allways fool a bit with mag using 2400 in a new gun. Ive got some guns that just shoot better with 2400 and mag. But for the most part standard primers do the trick. Sure doenst hurt anything though.

I'm with Lloyd on this. My SBH loved the Lyman 429421, 21 grs. 2400, & a CCI350.

Casting no stones here, but if I'm faced with differing opinions about reloading safety and the two sides are:

Joe Reloader who reads the interweb and has a chronograph and a degree in the History of Musical Basketweaving

Versus

A team of professional ballisticianss with a million dollars of state-of-the-art testing gear and degrees in engineering, statistical analysis, and chemistry

Ya know what? I'm gonna go with the opinion of those guys.

(The Joe Reloader profile is for humorous effect, guys. Flamethrowers off.)

I understand Rocky but I could probably dig up a few manuals that used mag. primers with 2400 but not sure of finding one with a bullet as heavy as his. Besides you're better off listening to the big boys than listening to me. I have no trouble saying that.

I like the Joe Reloader Profile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast