RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Kinder, Gentler Rifle on a Ruger #3 Action

Boolit Buddy

Smile A Kinder, Gentler Rifle on a Ruger #3 Action

Gents-
    It's time to get going on a long-planned rifle, sort of a Rook Rifle to be done on a Ruger #3 action I've on hand- something light, easy to carry, quiet, accurate as can be with cast boolits, and just plain fun to shoot- Something to leave the grand-kids to remind them of Gramps in the squirrel fields (some day). Thinking about a 32-20, perhaps a 32-40, maybe something like a 32 Miller Short, or 38Spec-357Mag lightly loaded. Perhaps a 1/2 octagon/ 1/2 round barrel of medium weight, with target-grade iron sight on the barrel and a vernier tang sight inset into the wrist of the stock, unless we weld on a tang-- Maybe I'm dreaming of recreating a Winchester Low-wall sort of rifle for small game and FUN!
    Please post your ideas and photos of your rifles that fit this bill- I'm in need of inspiration and ideas. Need to get this finalized so I can engage the services of a fine 'smith and get on with "making memories".
    My Best to You All-
    Chuck 358wcf

I already have 2 high-walls, a low-wall, 4 Martini Cadets, and 2 Ruger #1s, and want to take a bit of each to build that one, beautiful, sweet-shooting, light rifle to end the quest- your suggestions are appreciated. No scopes, please!
    Last edited by 358wcf; 11-02-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    I too like the 32-20 WCF neat old cartridge.

Hey Chuck,
    How bout a 25-20! I'm thinkin an 85 grain plain based boolit at just under the speed of sound. I think you could get it there with a pinch of Trailboss and Remington 6 1/2 primers. It would be very quite, brass would last for-ever in a good chamber, and components would be soooooo cheap per round.
    You know....just thinkin....
    Wayne
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Boolit Master

1) Don't do a wildcat. Making cases sounds like fun but you will get really sick of it really fast.

2) I really like the .32-20, the .38 special and the .357 Magnum "lightly loaded"

3) Rook rifle. I don't see any of these as a rook rifle. ALTHOUGH most of the real, original rook rifles were .30 to .36 caliber. I would want something smaller.

Since you are asking here, I am going to assume you want to shoot cast bullets. I would suggest you take a look at the 25-20 or the 25-35.

If you want something really small, you will love the .22 Hornet.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Going mild instead of wild is a very good idea for a #3. For 'small' I like the 32-20 and for 'large' I like the 32-40.

A couple of years ago I watched a local guy crank off about half a box of factory 458s from the bench out of either a short #1 or a regular #3. Judging by impacts on the berm the group kept getting bigger and bigger

Boolit Master
    I'd go 25/20 SS not the Winchester.

Boolit Master
    The best .32 is one of the straight ones like the .32 H&R Magnum or the .327 Ruger.
    You can size these with no lube and a carbide die.
    EDG

I really like the .22 Hornet, it's "Old School", quiet, easy to reload and just a pleasure to shoot.

The idea of a .38/.357 is also neat, cheap brass and the other components but with some oomph too, when you want it. Been looking for a Marlin lever gun for that combo.
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

Boolit Master
    If you really want to recreate a Rook rifle the 32S&W or 32S&W Long would be close.

Boolit Buddy
    You might keep an eye out for a Navy Arms Baby Rolling Block. They were made in .357 and .22 Hornet. I have one in .357. Bought it for my Son when he was small. He is now 41 6'5" about 240 lbs. looks like a toy gun when he shoots it. It has square sights and shoots great with anything from target wad cutter 38's to full house 357's. I don't think there is enough money to make him part with the gun.
    What this Country needs is more unemployed politicians

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for the above post, didn't catch the part in your original post about having a #3 action in hand. I think I would recommend a 32 cal. Long, H&R mag or 327 mag. Think it would be easy to load for with the straight wall cases and think it would have all the power you want in a walking around rifle.
    What this Country needs is more unemployed politicians

30-20 like TC did with the Contenders. 30 cal. 1:10 twist barrel, you can use normal 32-20 ammo or load it with rifle bullets for more hit at longer ranges. The NOE 247gr. whisper bullet makes it pretty entertaining shooting subsonic.

358wcf,
    How about the .25 Hornet? Quite snappy (1600-1800fps) using bullets from the 65gr 257420 to the heavier 90 grainers and very accurate. Best twist for these seems to be a 1 in 14. See the post on my .25 Hornet.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Boolit Mold
    My choice would be the .32 Miller Short with the expectation that I would use fixed ammunition for walking around and breech seat when I wanted to dazzle the ordinary folk. The parent cases are easy to find and form and the loads are well established. I've loaded enough .32-20 and .25-20 ammunition to know that they are pains in the butt although they did shoot well.

The 8mm French pistol cartridge used in their 1892 Model revolver is also a good choice. Making the brass from 32-20 is easy. Veral Smith at LBT made my mold (oh so long ago).

Hornady's "new" .17 Hornet. Looks like a winner to me. Runs on the smell of an oily rag.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    32 H&R or the 25 Hornet. The H&R does it all and with the right twist can handle 170 gr bullets . I know, I've done several on 20 ga shotgun actions. Great fun and very accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    Like the sound of the .30-20 T/C concept. Dagnabbit, now I need another gun! Oh woe is my wallet.
    Got-R-Did.

I have a (got it used) # 3 in 30/20 its a shilen bbl marked 32/20 it shot fair. I felt it should have shot much better. had it checked out by a gunsmith in CT turns out to be a 308 bore. and it loves a 115 gr LB 309 I have a NOE mold on order 311440 148 grain in the meanwhile there are many other bullets to try. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Real rook rifles were low powered with short range/danger space because rooks were commonly shot in trees. Shooters wanted a gun that could kill at short ranges, after all they were iron sighted, while not endangering people over yonder. Envision shooting perching pigeons.

I would go for a straight pistol case. 32/32 Long/32 H&R/ 327 Ruger.
    Second choice would be 38 S&W/38 Special/357 Magnum.

I have H&R Handis in 32 H&R, .357, and wildcat .270 Hornet (like .270 REN but with full length 1.4 inch case). All are suitable. For low power loads small cases with high loading densities make for more uniform ballistics, more efficient powder use and very quiet shooting.

In the straight cases I like to shoot round balls though none of my guns have optimum slow twist rifling for round balls. I have been think about a very small .35 caliber pistol case like the .38 Colt or 38S&W for round balls. In a rifle it would allow 100 % loading density with fast shotgun powders for 100% burn and very high energy efficiency.

In my .357 I usually load a round ball over 4 grains of Red Dot and use a dowel or pencil to seat the ball directly on the powder for a compressed load. Sounds like an air rifle. Effective on small game and varmints up to 12 pounds or so. I never tried it on anything bigger but I imagine it should do well up to coyotes with maximum loads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast