RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Rockchuckers having Red Chinese castings?

OK so handloader #242 Volume 41, Number 4 August-September 2006 arrived yesterday.

On page 31 in an article by John Haviland called "A Tour of RCBS", Haviland gives us the following caption..."Facing page, these castings of reloading presses are imported from China...". The facing page shows a photo of a pile of RC IV raw castings. What this proves is that Haviland said it and HL reported it in print. What it does not prove is that the castings were in fact from China. So, if RCBS says it's wrong, well, who's to say it isn't?

Anyway, I thought I'd post my research just to keep the facts straight. It still doesn't prove that RCBS lied or was misinformed or whatever. So, I'm done with it.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Ya know folks, we purchase goods from allover the world today. Almost all shoes come from china, to the best of my knowledge there are only 2 U.S. shoe manufactures left here and even they have parts of their lines made overseas. Electronics are even worse, your computers, TV's ect are almost all made in china. Cameras again made in china even Nikon. Clothing, same deal, ever check where your bed sheets are made?, guess again, imported. Going shopping for groceries? Fish--from china, sardines--china, Thailand, Viet Nam, Honey, South America, not sure what country. Autos, assembles here, some at least, with parts from all over.

I could keep this up for pages, but I think there are a few who can surmise what I'm saying.

Now then where am I going with this.

One writer states one company gets castings from china, the same company claims NOT TRUE, so who to believe, who knows. If in fact they are cast over there at least we have cleaner air over here as I'm sure all the pollutants have long since come to earth before reaching our shores. Further I seriously doubt the number of castings one company making reloading equipment will have a huge impact in our unemployment problem, in fact it may be canceled out by the number of longshoreman involved.

Ending thought! QUIT BASHING RCBS

unless someone out there knows beyond a shadow of a doubt what the heck they're talking about.

Thanks omgb for your research and post!

Boolit Grand Master
    Who cares? They make a nice press, that is all I care.
    I have better things to do than worry aout where everything I buy comes from, much less the materials that were processed to manufacture the item.

I buy what I want and need. The point of origin is not relevant in any way, shape, or form.

Banned
    So, does this mean we don't buy what Handloader is printing?

Well even tho I posted all of the above I still feel that we should TRY if possible to purchase products made here if the price is reasonable.

If not who is going buy all the corn from Nebraska when they no longer have a job.

Just curious, btroj, what do you do for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    So, does this mean we don't buy what Handloader is printing?
    NO! It means, look at the grand scheme of things. Reloading equipment is way, way down in the list of manufacturing. Think auto engine blocks compared to reloading presses.

Make any sense?

I got a ammo master RCBS single stage (new in 1993) paid $119.00 for it I can load 50BMG on it if I choose to it still looks brand new I use a redding 7 press. I have a dillon 550 I have not used in 10 years with many extras. I get on this site and read about something and "hay" Ive got one of them. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master
    I am a pharmacist.
    I don't buy into the whole "buy American" thing. What's "American made" any more?
    We live in a global economy, that is a reality we all need to face.
    I will say that I do NOT shop at Walmart, I don't like what they do to small business and thaws are crappy to their employees.
    I just don't look at tags or labels when I make a purchase. I even like foreign made gun powder and moulds! Or a least when they are the ones that per fit my needs.

I am not a union supporter at all. No problem with u on members but I feel strongly that unions are like political parties- more interested in their own power and money than in doo good on behalf of it's members.

Neither do I support Unions, for the same reasons. But again if we do not make an attempt to help[ ourselves its for sure the chinese aren't the ones for us to turn to.

You gotta admit being a pharmacist there is no worry about losing your job, whoever if you were in manufacturing more than likely you'd look at it differently.

Apathy in America is one of our bigest problems, but do as you wish, your life, not mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, I can lose my job same as anyone.
    I was just saying that I don't go looking for labels that say where something is made.
    I have a Dillon because it is a great press, not because of where it was made. By the way, I have no clue where it came from.
    Someone here posted that we should only buy items made from American mined and smelted ore, cast and machined in the US. How the heck are we supposed to know where the raw materials came from?
    My other big issue with "buy American" is the old idea that Toyotas are foreign but a Chevy isn't. Saw a show the other day showing the Canadian plants where odd parts are stamped and engines assembled for the new Camaro. Is is no more an American made car thana Toyota assembled in the US from many imported parts. The company name means diddly.

I know way to many who speak the "buy American" thing but who are so cheap they can't stand to pay for it. These guys all are buyi Cinese because it fits their wallet. Hollow words for sure.

Rhetoric means little to me, I am a believer in action.

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    OK so handloader #242 Volume 41, Number 4 August-September 2006 arrived yesterday.

On page 31 in an article by John Haviland called "A Tour of RCBS", Haviland gives us the following caption..."Facing page, these castings of reloading presses are imported from China...". The facing page shows a photo of a pile of RC IV raw castings. What this proves is that Haviland said it and HL reported it in print. What it does not prove is that the castings were in fact from China. So, if RCBS says it's wrong, well, who's to say it isn't?

Anyway, I thought I'd post my research just to keep the facts straight. It still doesn't prove that RCBS lied or was misinformed or whatever. So, I'm done with it.

So if they didn't lie why did the box say they were cast in China? I'm a little confused whether you believe they didn't lie when the boxes claimed they were cast there or whether or not the rep lied when he said they never were. ...never mind i think i just confused myself further.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Neither do I support Unions, for the same reasons.
    Now this is a subject i really can't discuss rationally! and judging from your statement...you know exactly why.

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    So if they didn't lie why did the box say they were cast in China? .

No mention was made in the article of any boxes or labels. There was a text box..i.e. caption that made that statement in reference to a photo on a previous page.
    R J Talley

Oh, I can lose my job same as anyone.
    I was just saying that I don't go looking for labels that say where something is made.
    I have a Dillon because it is a great press, not because of where it was made. By the way, I have no clue where it came from.
    Someone here posted that we should only buy items made from American mined and smelted ore, cast and machined in the US. How the heck are we supposed to know where the raw materials came from?
    My other big issue with "buy American" is the old idea that Toyotas are foreign but a Chevy isn't. Saw a show the other day showing the Canadian plants where odd parts are stamped and engines assembled for the new Camaro. Is is no more an American made car thana Toyota assembled in the US from many imported parts. The company name means diddly.

I know way to many who speak the "buy American" thing but who are so cheap they can't stand to pay for it. These guys all are buyi Cinese because it fits their wallet. Hollow words for sure.

Rhetoric means little to me, I am a believer in action.
    Ya, you can lose your job like anyone else but in todays market its highly unlikely.

Where I see the problem is the attitude you seem to have is not caring one way or the other. Thats why I used the word apathy, which seems to be what you have.

Another quick question, how do you feel when the National Anthem is played and do you stand up and remove your hat and place your hand over your heart or are you apathetic about that also?

I actually believe you REALLY know where I'm coming from, and if you don't, I feel sorry for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will always rise and remove my hat for the National Anthem.
    I resent th insinuation that not always looking to buy American is in-patriotic. That is a bunch of bull.
    We are the ultimate capitalist society. If American manufacturing can make a product that I want, with the features I want, at a price I am willing to pay then I will buy it. If not, I go elsewhere.
    I have the freedom of choice, don't I? If others choose to always look for a "Made in USA" label then more powder to them, I just won't be bullied into doing likewise.
    Call me apathetic if you choose, I call myself a normal American buyer. I don't think I am apathetic any more than you feel you are being oppressive.

I do know where you are coming from, question my patriotism if you must but I never will.

I have the freedom of choice, don't I?
    Currently.

If others choose to always look for a "Made in USA" label then more powder to them, I just won't be bullied into doing likewise.
    The more you contribute to their economy and the downfall of ours the more likely you will be "bullied" into saluting their flag

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe my tinfoil hat works better than yours?

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Maybe my tinfoil hat works better than yours?

Funny, but you have to take into consideration everything. You may have the right to choose to put your neighbors out of work by supporting oriental products, but when they have no job neither do those they bought their supplies etc. from because they no longer have the need or money. By the time the spiral ends either you, your children, or your grandchildren will realize that the two bucks you saved is now worthless anyway.

I have the freedom of choice, don't I?
    Sorry, not anymore you don't, and thats a fact, the manufacturing has been relocated to Asia.

I call myself a normal American buyer
    That is your opinion of yourself, and as I already stated is one of the problems with our society here in the U.S.A. AKA Apathy, you just don't get it.

Ah well, I'm old, been spit at and called a baby killer and worse, I'll let you youngsters solve the mess, and pay off the chinese.

Lets get back to supporting a good company ie; RCBS which has had unfounded accusations thrown at them.

This entire blog thread had degenerated into a bunch of name-calling chicken $%@t. Dang, I wish it would stop. RCBS says it doesn't import castings from China. OK, that's good enough for me. An old article from almost 5 years ago made the statement they did. RCBS denied it. Hey, things happen when dealing with the press.

Now as to who shops where and buys what....that's hardly a measure of patriotism. C'mon people, as much as I wish we did have a large amount of heavy manufacturing here in America, the fact is we don't and most likely will never have again. Yes, the Chinese have a good share of our old mfg jobs. OK, the rules of free market caused that. I don't know about you but I much prefer a demand economy to a managed command economy. That means that we have to reduce our operating costs, make our mfg more efficient and be ready to compete. Until then, the free market means one is free to buy and sell where ever the price best suits one. Freedom isn't without costs. Just because it's freedom to buy doesn't make it any less precious or any more free.

Dissagree all you like but the name calling and denegration of character has to stop. That activity is decidedly unpatriotic and ungentlemanly. If it continues, I'd like the moderators to lock down this thread.

R J Talley
    R J Talley

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast