Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastcoWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: .223 plinker load

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

.223 plinker load

Howdy all,

I'm looking at putting some generic plinker rounds together to use in several rifles. These will be shot at less than 50 yard distances strictly for fun. Here are the materials I'm using:

Military surplus brass, LC, all the same year. Brass has been FL resized, trimmed and swaged.

Military surplus collett pulled 55 grain FMJ bullets, these do have collett marks.

Magtech or Wolf small rifle primers

WC846 surplus powder, Lot #406313 - I have a little less than 16 pounds of this left from a group buy a couple years ago.

I'm not trying to get an accuracy load, just create something like a Winchester White box generic load. Not looking to load it hot either, just something that would work in multiple guns.

Will be using a Lee FCD to crimp these during loading session on RCBS Pro 2000 progressive. Reliability and cycling the gas system are my biggest concerns. I do have data from where I worked up loads with quality bullets a year or two ago, but the data is inconclusive, since I was having vision issues at the time and realized I needed to go to a mild magnified scope or get special "range" glasses.

What powder weight would you suggest for a generic load? If you have used this particular powder, I'd love to hear from you.

Boolit Grand Master

DIFBGa; I do not have that lot of WC846 so you may have to back off a grain to start, what your looking for is somewhere in the 26-27 gr range

55 Win psp
    27.0 WC846
    LC brass
    CCI400
    3202 fps
    5@1.3" at 200 yds
    Charter Member #148

Banned

H322 22.5grs. Clean, very accurate, and a little amount of powder. Works very well 55gr and down bullets.

Banned

Sorry, I thought you were looking for just a good load with other powders. If this is the powder that uses H335 data, then use 24.5 grs. Always shot good in my AR's. Try a few to see if they cycle yours before running a bunch. They usually shot Minute of Pop can at 100 yards.