Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: wider metplat

Boolit Buddy

wider metplat

Can anyone suggest a method to put a wide metplate on an alreay cast bullet?

Thanks,

Duane

Banned
    Depends on your mashine shop!

A loaded cartridge could be chucked in your lathe or mill then be shortened/widened to length/with.

Banned
    A better formulated question with pics might get you a way better answer than mine!

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Spend $2000.00 on a swaging press and a set of custom swaging dies and you'll be set to go.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

A bastard file. Sorry couldn't resist. Of course I forgot about the lathe that I don't have too.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Wider meplat?

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    Spend $2000.00 on a swaging press and a set of custom swaging dies and you'll be set to go.

RRR
    Or....if you were lucky...U might could talk RRR into making U one of his 'top notch' moulds with concave base and the meplat U desire!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Sorry to have to do this, but the word is spelled meplat and pronounced "may-play". And my suggestion would be to make a swage die with a straight through hole and a top punch to produce the shape you desire. Put the die on a heavy bench, hit the punch with a hammer until it bottoms out on the stop you designed into it so it's consistant, and you are in business. No big trick to make one like that, sort of like Paco Kelly's Nasti-nose thing for 22LR.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

1 inch sanding machine

Go to Harbour Freight and purchase for under $60 or so a 1 inch belt sander. Buy the 40 grit belt and with each touch you have a much wider bullet. Go slow and even and it will work.
    Last edited by cajun shooter; 11-01-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    If you always want wide meplat boolits from the mould, you could alter the mould. On that auction site there is a person advertising a Lyman/Ideal 575213. He shows a boolit cast with the mould - straight sided from bottom to top. I wrote the seller and pointed out that someone had bored out the mould to turn the Minie into a Minie Wadcutter. He wrote back and said it was no wonder he was unable to find a match in pictures of Lyman moulds.

rcbs 45-500 mould.......recon we talkin a 45 cal???????